The Greatness of 2C Flashlights

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Pelican Super PeliLite 2C is dive rated, smaller, lighter and more comfortable for me (YMMV) to hold than the M^G 2C. The 2.2 watt xenon, pin-point spot has some spill useful for walking, which isn't for everyone but it lends itself to many uses including camping, electrical maintenance, and back up for a larger, brighter light. This light throws a spot surprisingly far.

pizzaman

Enlightened
Just a few days back I was sharing my fondness for 2C flashlights in the "collecting" forum.

My first real flashlight as a kid was a shiny silver Eveready Captain in 2C (sliding switch). This was top notch flashlight and the envy of the neighborhood. This treasured light was later replaced by an upgraded Captain with a high-tech, new-fangled, push button switch. I think I still have #2 around somewhere. Time to do some garage digging.

Later I got caught up in the "Bigger is better" fad and went for 3D MagLites. This affair lasted many years. A few years back at a local dept store I spotted an unusual LED flashlight from a company called Dorcy. A 2C format with 8 LEDs. A bit spendy though. These babies were not much of a seller, so my patience paid off when they discounted these for close out. I went ahead and picked one up. Hmmm, very familiar. Very comfortable. I began having flashbacks of my days of youth with my trusty Captain in my hand. I went ahead and purchased 4 of these lights. That got things started again.

Last fall at home depot, way in the back of the shelf, I spotted some colored 2C MagLites. I must have these. I purchased black, pewter, and purple lights. This 2C trifecta stands duty in my night stand. The pewter and purple lights have been modded for three CR123s and frosted 6D magnumstar bulbs. Nice and handy barnburners. These are my "when things go bump in the night" lights (always good to have a backup for critical missions). The black flashlight is host to one of the new MagLED bulbs as an all-arounder workhorse light. The 2 cell MagLED is a superb performer.

More digging at Home Depot this spring was rewarded with a new color. WooHoo! It says purple, but it looks blue. I quickly added that to my collection.

A few weeks back I stumbled across Mirage Man's group offer to HAIII finish 2C maglites. How could I say no? Hopefully later this week a pair of these beauties will be in my mail box. I can't wait. What upgrades and mods lie ahead for these tactical tuff guys?

I'm hooked on the 2C form factor, especially the MagLite. My 3D mags and homely 2D angle heads sit idle and watch on as the 2Cs get all the play time.

Long live the 2C, TR

Last edited:

Culhain

Enlightened
I miss the wonderful compact size of the old Kelite 2C. The Mag 2C are not in the same size bracket, but better than the D alternative.

The new Victorinox/Inova lights look super. I'm getting antsy waiting for the reviews. :)

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes. I like the 2C quite a bit.

It would be hard to say which C cell is my favorite. I like Mag C cells much better than Mag D cells for their handling characteristics. I think the Mag 3C is the quintessential form for a flashlight.

My favorite Mag85 is a Mag 6C. My favorite Mag66 is a Mag 6C. My favorite ROP is a Mag 3C. My favorite Mag1499 is a Tuxedo Mag 2C.

I'm the happy recipient of a purplish-blue or bluish-purple Mag 2C that Niteowl sent me I think just because he's just a darn good guy that likes to share nice finds. It's still in a clamshell in the bookshelf in my work office staring at me every day wondering what its fate will be.

I want to do something special with it and I haven't yet decided what that will be. Maybe a drop in LED. Maybe a frosted CA1499. Maybe it needs a 5W Royal Blue.

It's a really cool color that changes depending on type of lighting, angle of lighting and angle of reflection. I think I'll test drive the term "plum crazy 2C" and see how that rides. Hope Mopar fans don't mind.

Plum Crazy

challenger1.jpg

mdocod

Flashaholic
not sure if it has been mentioned yet- but another light worth mentioning... There is a 2C form-factor light sold at Lowes for around $40.. The Task Force 3W. Uses a luxIII, and a simple step-up converter. Has a fairly well implemented lense to help gather the light into a somewhat nice splotch of forward lighting- minimal spill beam, so may not be best for some things, but the build quality is quite reasonable.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
pizzaman said:
My first real flashlight as a kid was a shiny silver Eveready Captain in 2C (sliding switch). This was top notch flashlight and the envy of the neighborhood. This treasured light was later replaced by an upgraded Captain with a high-tech, new-fangled, push button switch. I think I still have #2 around somewhere. Time to do some garage digging...Long live the 2C, TR

Eveready Captains were great little lights. I had several specimens of both of those models. As I recall, I preferred the older slide switch models, because the push button models were slightly longer.

Always preferred the Ray-O-Vac Sportsman over the Captain for outdoor use, because the head was sleeker, making it more pocketable. Also, the Sportsman reflector had a little better throw than the Captain.

I kept Captains around the house or in the car, so they tended to last longer than the Sportsmen. Think I still have an old push button Captain in 2D around somewhere, although I haven't seen in a while.

Paladin

Enlightened
I prefer C cell lights over D versions any day. The wife has a Cobalt Blue 2C Maglite I put a Maglite LED into, and it is perfect for her hand size. A River Rock 2C sits by the door as my "morning paper" light, the spot beam has highlighted an unwanted front yard visitor on more than one occaision, usually cats, with a skunk or possum now and then as well.

True story, the day I came home from a major back operation, a disc removal/ fusion, the wife opened the front door and a rat the size of a cat ran inside the living room, while my Dog stood dumbfounded at the critters audacity! Then the little lady said she was going to work and leaving me alone, bed bound, with the rat. NO WAY. Eventually my yard guy removed the animal. And I always turn on the porch light, and LOOK outside the door before opening it...

I really like the feel and utility of the Streamlight 3C Twin-task, but seem to be in the minority.

Paladin

download

Flashlight Enthusiast
Never thought there is color MagC before. Only a few months .......... :ohgeez:

ColorMagC.jpg

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the greatest 2C ever was the Kel-Lite. Very short, compact, well-balanced. I'll post a pic if I get a chance - mine is still on my bedside table (next to a C2/P61 that is reserved for more pressing encounters).

Coop57

Enlightened
The Mag lite 3C is the perfect shape/size/weight for a persauder. Because it is lighter than the D cells it is more effective as a close combat weapon.

Meduza

Enlightened
I love the 2C form factor, but the Mag head is too big for my likings...

If you think of how the Elektrolumens Blaster series looks and apply that to a 2C form factor with a boosted 2-stage 3w LED, that would be my perfect light for many purposes...

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Victorinox 2C that NutSAK posted earlier is very nice...so nice that I just ordered a second one. No cutting edge but it's a solid performer. There's more info in my 1/2 arsed thread in the Reviews.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
jayflash said:
The Victorinox 2C that NutSAK posted earlier is very nice...so nice that I just ordered a second one. No cutting edge but it's a solid performer. There's more info in my 1/2 arsed thread in the Reviews.

I'm always interested in new 2C lights.

Looks like a interesting light, but I can't find much info on it. Also, I can't find it on that Feline Vet site. Is there a link available?

Can you provide your impressions? Fit and finish up to typical Inova standards? Usability? Runtime on alkies?

Thanks for any help.

Oracle

Newly Enlightened
Personally, I prefer D to C. I find the C is already too big to EDC or pocket comfortably, so I lose very little going to the D, but I gain a much longer run time and primary C and D cells are the same price.

Templar223

Newly Enlightened
I too love "C" cell lights.

In part because I grew up with one of those little Ray-o-Vac C lights.

Small, fits in the hand nicely, lightweight, etc.

Today, I've got a couple of "c" mags... the 6s as ROPs (great size, weight combo with NiMH), and a couple of 4s... I subbed out the stock bulbs and put in 3-cell bulbs.

Does anyone know how long a 3-cell bulb will burn in a 4-cell light to 50%?

John

entendu

Newly Enlightened
I also prefer the 2 C cell lights . Small enough to fit in a back pocket and feels great in your hand. I have the 2 c maglite and the Task force 3 watt. Of those the Task force has the best grip (thanks to the rubber sleeve) and though it doesn't have the adjustable beam its shorter length wins out. The Victorinox 2 cell light looks like it would have a good feel in you hand as well but I'm not sure of its run time. Any info -Jayflash ?

WNG

Enlightened
With the improvements in LEDs, C cells are a viable option for decent runtime and size.
I also like C celled flashlights for their size and feel. I have medium sized hands so it suits me better.
I think the 2C RiverRock is a very nice example, very good build quality, small head diameter, decent runtime.
The optic beam is love it or hate it. But I bet if modded with a collimator and a Lux-III, the output would be more satifying and useful, similar to the TAskforce 3W.
I bought 2 during the Target sale, and plan to mod my second one.

Nuwai also makes a series of 2C and 3C LED lights, but I haven't seen any reviewed.
They look pretty nice.

Last edited:

Latest posts