The importance of tailstanding

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm actually considering selling my L1 just because I end up using the tailstanding feature of my Novatac and 6P quite often. That, and I guess I like the more floody beam characteristics of the others.

I have lots of variety: lights that can tailstand, lights that have forward clickies, lights with warm tint, lights that run on 18670, lights that run on AAA, etc. Variety is the spice of life!

I definitely wouldn't sell a light because it couldn't tailstand - there are plenty of ways to get it to face upwards (cup or glass or whatever).
I like that some of my lights to tailstand, gives me an easy option for room lighting. But because some do it, the others don't need to.

On Christmas day me and a couple of cousins and the girlfriend of one of them were sitting at the kitchen table, we turned off the light so the girlfriend could use a candle (she got it for Christmas) and I played with some subtle lighting. I found that my Jet-I or my Infinitum worked well carefully perched, bezel down on the top of an empty bottle, but more stable (less likely to fall and dent mum's table) was my L0D inside the bottle (suspended from the top - keys outside the bottle, L0D inside) which made a pretty cool lantern. The bottle is covered in a translucent white (mostly) plasic (Archers Lime RTD bottle if anyone is familiar with them). Here is the best pic I could find: http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/drinks/archers-aqua/ (The lime one is white with green instead of red). With the L0D you can change between 3 levels so you can make it a brighter lantern or a more subtle one.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
While there is utility in standing a flashlight on its tail, tailstanding ability has never been important enough to affect my choice of flashlight.

I have propped lights up vertically using whatever is handy.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Hope you disinfected that light thoroughly afterwards. :green: Public toilets are so filthy I've gotten in the habit of using my feet to push the flush handle. Granted, this requires calisthenics on some urinals, but it beats catching who knows what. On the plus side, at least it looks like nobody crapped in that urinal.

jonesy

Enlightened
It's okay, I actually used the washroom at work for the photo, and it was after the cleaning lady had been in there, so it's still clean. :thumbsup:

Kinda OT, but the M60L did a good job on lighting up most of the bathroom, in the off chance I had to use it. BTW, the toilet paper roll as a stand is a great idea.

VillageIdiot

Newly Enlightened
I just stick my lights in a glass or something if I want to tailstand them, or apply good old blu-tack. Tail-standing eh? Can your light wall-stand? =P

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't be putting a light down ontop of a urinal. Besides the sanitary reasons, the last thing I want is for it to tip over and end up in the bottom of the urinal.

n4zov

Newly Enlightened
Simply put, I do not buy flashlights that won't tailstand!

haley1

Enlightened
I've never really thought about the tail standing option of a light untill after I'd already bought it for other reasons. But it does come in handy upon occasion.

Tiff

Newly Enlightened
I prefer a light that can tailstand and for my EDC it's must have feature because i use it so much. But it wouldn't be a dealbreaker if one or a few of my lights couldn't tailstand. I have lanterns and other lights as well including electric candles. I can see teh benefits of having both depending on your needs.
As far as Blu-tac goes we only have a poor substitute for it in the US and the one I bought was a cheap knockoff and actually stained a white wall and left greasy spots. My wife is used to using BlueTac but she didn't realize the cheap stuff is rubbish!
Bluetac would hold a small light to the wall with ease. Probably good to have some in the toolbox, if you can find genuine BuleTac.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ability for my flashlight to stand on its end must be the least important factor for me when buying flashlight.

LedTed

Enlightened
I like that D10s are mentioned in this thread; single handed on-the-spot tail standing. I happen to prefer the D11.2 for those two reasons. But, my D10s were able to tail stand a little better.

markr6

Flashaholic
3146939621_32a4a8e567_o.jpg

Old thread but it all still applies! This is why I appreciate lights that tail stand. I HATE when people say something stupid like "put it in a mug". OK, plenty of mugs sitting around in that bathroom, huh? And I'm sure that's what you want to do when getting ready to take a leak...waste time looking around for a mug or something to hold a flashlight.

markr6

Flashaholic
Adapt? Doesn't that one already tail stand?

So instead of having a light tail stand on its own, adapting is a suitable excuse? I think not. I just don't get it. Do it right in the first place.