The importance of tailstanding

xzel87

Enlightened
If I can't tailstand my light, and I need some kind of area lighting real quick, a wall-bounce from a light laying on it's side is more than sufficient. I even did floor-bounce before in public washrooms with the light clipped to my front pocket, since more or less the flooring/tiles are light coloured.

In fact, if I were to do what the OP did the glare from tail standing from such a low position directly in front of me would no doubt hurt my eyes. I just realised that when I do tailstand my lights they are usually in a higher position and/or behind something so I don't see the glare from the bezel.

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like a protruding button on my EDC for ease of activation.

That being said, I appreciate the usefulness of tailstanding- so I keep either a Headlamp or a light that can tailstand as my secondary.

My primary edc, sunwayman V11r keeps it's place due to button being easy to activate even though it's not protruding. But with my other lights I clip it and bounce the beam off either the wall or floor like xzel87.

Last edited:

vk1

Newly Enlightened
I find it very useful in lighting up a room. Prefer lights that do

bykfixer

Flashaholic

I figure me or those around me being injured, killed or mame'd due to my flashlight didn't tail stand is a little less likely than being hit twice by the same bolt of lightning...
But just in case...

savumaki

Enlightened
Must be something wrong with me, I have never needed a light to tail stand, even tho I have several that do, including my pocket EDC.

markr6

Flashaholic
Must be something wrong with me, I have never needed a light to tail stand, even tho I have several that do, including my pocket EDC.

It's those times that come up...and they come up at the most inconvenient, yet important times. Like cramped under a car on your back changing oil, or when you have a beer in both hands.

uofaengr

Enlightened
It's those times that come up...and they come up at the most inconvenient, yet important times. Like cramped under a car on your back changing oil, or when you have a beer in both hands.
Or especially when the light blows in the bathroom at work which generally takes two days to get fixed.

bykfixer

Flashaholic

I with you. Have done the tail stand thing before.
But not because I had to.

I have flexi-lights, magnetized and clothspin lights for hands free times when the headlamp causes shadows.

markr6

Flashaholic
I started carrying a ceramic white mug around with me so I can stand any flashlight, anywhere, anytime.

mug.jpg

uofaengr

Enlightened
I started carrying a ceramic white mug around with me so I can stand any flashlight, anywhere, anytime.

mug.jpg
And the bottom ring doubles as a hone for your knives. So tactical! You should put this in an EDC thread as part of your "loadout" lmao.

markr6

Flashaholic
And the bottom ring doubles as a hone for your knives. So tactical! You should put this in an EDC thread as part of your "loadout" lmao.

Yes dual-purpose!! So it technically only weighs half its actual weight.

uofaengr

Enlightened
Yes dual-purpose!! So it technically only weighs half its actual weight.
Now I want one in titanium with flame ano and skulls...lots of skulls... Can keep my tactical hanky in it and clip it to my belt with my $800 'biner that's also a bottle opener but shaped like a ferret!

Before you know it, Starlingear will be making them and selling them for $2000 apiece. Better patent this quick!

LGT

Enlightened
While it's not a feature that was specifically looked for, throughout the years of buying many lights, I have six or seven that tailstand.
I always use them while staying in a hotel or resort for the middle of the night trips to the bathroom. I also find them practical for area lighting while working under the kitchen or bathroom sink, even while wearing a headlight.