The importance of tailstanding

MMD

Enlightened
Tail stand is a must on my EDC's. It's so annoying being used to tail standing and carrying a light that inherently will not. For this reason I will not carry a light that will not inherently tailstand.
The 6P's bolted to my rifles are not shrouded and are momentary. Also a must. Different setup for different task.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a great time to be into flashlights. There are a zillion fantastic models to choose from. There are so many, in fact, that if I decide I need features X, Y, and Z, there is no need to settle for only X and Y. It's easy to find a light with all three.

In many cases, of course, Z = tail standing!

I just bought a handful of the new BLF-348 flashlights. The 348 is a single-mode, 50-lumen, 1xAAA, stainless-steel, tube light. It features a high-CRI, 5000K Nichia 219 emitter. It's a pretty cool light, and at $7 a copy, it makes a great holiday gift.

So this week I have been testing mine. It doesn't have any throw at all, but it's great for close-up work and journeys around the house. When I used it for my late night lavatory visit, however, I found myself wishing it could tail stand. No problem. I just leaned it against a tray in the drawer.

As others have mentioned, tail standing is not for every light. Some applications are hindered by lights that tail stand. Other than those specific applications, however, I don't see any reason why all my other flashlights should not tail stand.

I wish the BLF-348 did.

Last edited:

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Definitely off track. Let's hear it for Thanksgiving. Couldn't find a whole Turkey, but found Turkey pieces. Thighs and drum sticks. That's OK because we like dark meat. Sweet potato and marshmallow casserole. Close, but not the USA.

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
What I don't get is the opposition to the idea!
Surely if some of us find the feature useful then even those that don't care about it should be able to accept that it is a good thing for us to have it.
I don't tail stand a light often, but it sure is a handy feature when I need/want it.
My Nitecore D10 is a really good light to have close at hand when I need to illuminate a room, it really does tail stand better than most being super stable on its tail.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Resurrecting a 7 year old thread to diametrically oppose its premise....... someone's Wheaties (Fiber 1) get whizzed in? :nana:

Happy Thanksgiving! :D
That's that's pretty rich for somebody who joined the forum 1 month before I did. I did a search and this seemed like a good thread to post in.

Last edited:

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's that's pretty rich for somebody who joined the forum 1 month before I did. I did a search and this seemed like a good thread to post in.
Seniority has it's benefits :naughty:, alright I'll give you 2 points for using search like we tell the n00bs, but must subtract 1 point for grave digging. :p

I prefer tail stand ability but is not a deal breaker depending on what I want the light for.

scout24

Flashaholic
I was (am) a rabid tailstand fan, McGizmo's spoiled me for it. Rock solid. Nothing better. Oveready and Oregon Shooter tailcap shrouds for SF E-series and L-1 lights. (In addition to Scoutlight tailcaps} Nirvana. Zebralight side switches. Fantastic! Ground the keychain lug right off my new Titan Plus pretty much before throwing the packaging away. My EDC tailstanders were many. The only small single cell light I prefer a raised tailcap on are my HDS lights. I can't get past the smooth switch boot on the flush tailcap. Don't know why. I like the HDS's enough to adapt... :grouphug: Thankfully there are many good choices for both camps.

markr6

Flashaholic
HAHA! You don't talk about:

1. Politics
2. Religion
3. Money
4. Tail Standing
5. Anything at all with a drunk person

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
My PD35 wouldn't tailstand [ts]. So my machinest friend made me a ring circle for its bottom and now it unobtrusively tailstands.

Maybe the ability to ts is not a must for you, but it's a must for me.

Why, you will ask?

Because though I swim in headlamps, in any kind of crap hits the fan situation, I need both hands free for whatever task may arise. And a tailstanding light can also assist others-- like most of you, I carry more than one light on me.

Of course, a light with a magnet that can tailstand doubly reassures me for all its possibilities.

Whatever within reason can be foreseen could very well happen. If there comes a crisis, I refuse to lose precious seconds if the survival of loved ones, friends, and/or myself depends on a detail-- however minute or major (in the overall scale of things) tailstanding is at that particular time.

Yeah, maybe I fantasize too much. But that's one of many reasons being a Flashaholic is fun-- for me it's about the preparation.

No, I do not let whatever I can anticipate or foresee define or control me but being a "Flashaholic" is one part of my overall larger identity and one of many subparts of that Flashaholic part is the ability, with rare exception, of a light to tailstand.

As Sun Tzu wrote, "The best battles ever fought ever won were those not even begun."

There is no right or wrong here because context is everything.

This post is my context.

What is yours?

- LetThereBeLight!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I carry a 1 cell light in each pocket as well as a pocket sized knife.

Being right handed I carry in the right one a knife I know will defend me and a light that will turn on without a doubt.
In the left is a general use knife and a light that will more than likely light and will tailstand.

Thataway if my right arm is unavailable I'm still good to go. Say you're in a wreck, earthquake or an explosion and one of your arms is pinned....
If suppose if my left arm is pinned a tail stander is way down on the list of my concerns.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
On reflection, I suppose I do have another small point. I accept that light can be aimed up in the hand, propped or even clipped directionally. These forms are not nearly so elegant, effortless and effective as a tailstood light. Out of this simple configuration arises the mighty hands-free ceiling bounce, which is derivative. Perhaps put too simply, tail and bouncing off ceilings are somewhat directly proportional. If you're not tailstanding to ceiling bounce, you're executing some extra superfluous step for the same results. If only we could bring everyone around to tailstanding, perhaps we might mitigate our energy crisis.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
If tail standing floats your boat, have at it.

As for me, I couldn't care less about that, as a feature.

Taz80

Enlightened
Tail stand, whats tail stand? Ain't that doohickey ya git with the light for hangin it off a nail in the wall? Heck the hound just be knockin that thing over.

Latest posts