The importance of tailstanding

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I'd rather adapt and overcome with a Malkoff than tail stand a piece a junk.

Simply put, when it's on the Malkoff adapts real well to real world applocalyptic conditions while the tailstanding chinese piece a junk is only good for a table lamp.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd rather adapt and overcome with a Malkoff than tail stand a piece a junk.

Simply put, when it's on the Malkoff adapts real well to real world applocalyptic conditions while the tailstanding chinese piece a junk is only good for a table lamp.

That's fine. You go look for a mug or flower pot to stand your Malkoff so you can see. In the meantime, I've already finished what I needed to do with my tailstanding chinese piece of junk.

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
They still manufacture lights that don't tailstand? :p Good thread as lights that don't tailstand, don't get purchased by this flashaholic. :)

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
wtf guys

It's a must feature for me, but I wouldn't try to tell other people they should want it, or that one way or the other is right or wrong because one manufacturer or another does or doesn't do it.

its just a trade off- no shroud means better accessibility from more angles, but can't stand on its end as well vs deeper shroud. Or something like the triad or sf defender tailcap, which to me are the best compromise of both worlds, still tail stands but don't have to come over the top, can still come all the way down.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the Z58 tailcap on my E1B because it makes it easier to hold and enables tailstanding, but the main drawback is that activation is harder due to the narrower angle of accessibility. I'm with leon on this one - it may not make sense for everyone.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
When I need a tailstander I light a candle.

Nah, seriously I think everybody likes the tailstand feature. But to say it has to for me to buy it...if that's your thing...go for it.

I'll just use an MD2, a couple of Mags, an HP1 or one of my Lux-Pro's.

But if it's for all out life on the line use, well I'll just have my wife have "at least it will tailstand" on my tombstone. lol

markr6

Flashaholic
My main point wasn't tail standing vs. no tailstanding.

It was the thinking "it doesn't matter because you can put it in a mug or between books". That's ridiculous in so many situations where you need to set a light down NOW.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
My main point wasn't tail standing vs. no tailstanding.

It was the thinking "it doesn't matter because you can put it in a mug or between books". That's ridiculous in so many situations where you need to set a light down NOW.

Not true. Apparently, people pack a Malkoff and a flower pot into their bug-out bag. Works just as good as any tailstanding feature. And, you can grow a tomato plant in the flower pot if you get hungry.

Bama87

Newly Enlightened
Should have set it on the sink or stuck in your back pocket. I'd be scared it would want to take a dive like that.

I personally think its a great feature to have even though not one many people, outside of this forum apparently, think about when buying a flashlight.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Damn craziness in here.

I'll just say that all my Malkoff's tail stand fine by themselves.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why hasn't anyone just qualified his statement by simply mentioning that tailstanding is a very desirable feature for an EDC light, but not so for a duty tactical light. Different application, different needs, hence different design. No need to identify with one camp or another exclusively.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let's not go crazy every time someone stirs the pot.
Do we not have even enough tolerance for someone else's extreme preferences regarding flashlights?

D6859

Enlightened
Installing a sliding level under my desk...
tn12_tailstand.jpg

This time I preferred tailstanding my EDC to finding my headlamp and wearing it. I think it was a tint thing. My headlamps are all CW.

The picture in OP reminded me the lamp in the bath room upstairs is broken. I think I should take some flashlight there for my roommates to use.