The Light I'd Really Like to See in 2004 is....

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: The Light I\'d Really Like to See in 2004 is...

...a MaxaBeam right there in my hands, there in front of me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Well I can hope....

More seriously, the Arc LS4 and LS5 are the ones I`m looking forward to seeing most right now. At least in concept form, they look like ideal all-rounders, dare I say perfect? Totally configurable to fit every individual`s needs, with a choice of power source too for size, economy or run-time. I just hope the reality is every bit as good.

But which one will I choose.....(both!)

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast

A Surefire L2 using a 3-watt with a reflector and giving the same hi/low output as an L1.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast

i would like to see a twintask 2L with a luxeon 3 in place of the incan. it would be great if they could make the beam much like the TL2 LED.

throw, flood, reliable, long runtime, small, relatively inexpensive...sweeeet.

another? Elektrolumens is really on to something with the Anglelux (and, of course, the blaster series). micropuck+lux3+Fraen+(reasonable sized 2D donor)= long runtime, bright, inexpensive, tough, reliable, familiar form factor for the novice.

Bob

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast

pedalinbob's TT 2L parameters would sell like HOTCAKES.

That would be one heckava light.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

L4 with 2 light levels like the L1.

A2 with a Luxeon in place of the incand. bulb.

Boost regulated watertight headlamp with a fixed focus, selectable 3 level brightness, high dome Luxeon or 3 watt Luxeon main bulb and aluminum bezel for heatsinking (levels: "bright", "dim" and "pathetically low" selected by twisting the bezel - lowest level first). 3 point headband, 3AA for power in pack on back of headband. *drool*

SockMan

Newly Enlightened

L4 with two or more brightness levels. It would be great if it could support several battery configurations like 2AA, CR123, and Pila rechargeables. Should be no larger than a Minimag.

An inexpensive light based on a 5W LS (and still have good quality beam and construction).

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

A commercially available version of:

FireFly
Space Needle II with Carly reflector
Super Baby Pin
Super LGI

Reason? So the masses could enjoy what we enjoy!

Have the Luxeon Lottery go away, and have "super bin" 1 watt and 5 watts available for anyone to purchase!

Have Nichia produce some LED's to compete with the Luxeon Star, but be "superior to" the 1, 3 and 5 watt LS. Things like. consume the same power, but produce lots more light, or product the same light, but consume less power, and have their "binning" down pat, so we don't have to guess what color the light will be.

Have the 5 watt High dome Luxeon Star evolve the way the 1 watt did (1 watt became 3 watts, so the 5 watt could become a 15 watt?)

Oh this would be the fantasy:

Have Maglite introduce a LED solitare, and have ARC sue MAG, and WIN, and ARC takes over Mag!

Have batteries that can give a constant discharge, so that flashlights can produce constant output, and the flashlight not be expensive!

Have the general public become aware of superior illumination, so that our "Hundred dollar lights" become 20 and 30 dollar lights, because the manufactures are selling so many, and economies of scale kick in, as well as competition.

I might normally jokingly say, "Oh yea, I want Peace on Earth, Good Will towards Man, too", but that is a SERIOUS wish this year!

Aaron

Newly Enlightened

A rechargeable M3 and M4.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

I think I would have to agree about pedalinbobs TT2L idea!

Although a clickie tail / twist for output luxeon light would be kick booty!

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast

BuddTX covers most of the bases that I hadn't thought of.

Peace and goodwill would be the fudge frosting for a perfect flashlight.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

An Arc AA with one of those 8mm white LEDs!
It supposedly puts out the light of four 5mm driven at spec or the light of two Arc AA lights. It would not bother me to have an Arc AA with 7 hours of run time...or an AAA with 3 hours of run time. Those 4 emitter 8mm LEDs make a lot of sense in Arcs.

Mrd 74

Enlightened

I would like Streamlight make a commercial version of the Firefly but with their recessed tail cap.

Doug Meister

Newly Enlightened

I'd like to see a Streamlight TL-3 (both versions) with a clickie switch instead of the twist-on type.

I'd also like to have a Luxeon Star 10 watt. Call it the Luxeon Nova? Why stop at 10? How about a 20 watt LS. Call it a Luxeon Super Nova?
BIGeyes.gif

<font color="blue">--Ðøug
typeratcomputer.gif
™</font> 2004.1.1.1.40.01 PT

Empath

Flashaholic

A Dollar Tree version of the L4 with the same quality of construction. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
BuddTX said:Oh this would be the fantasy:

Have Maglite introduce a LED solitare, and have ARC sue MAG, and WIN, and ARC takes over Mag!

[/ QUOTE ]

Can anyone imagine what would happen if Peter had MAG's revenue and ressources at his disposal!!!

Let that sink in for a minute!

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast

LOL! Empath, you crack me up!

Budd...wow.
the world would be a ...brighter place.

Bob

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would like to see a tailcap for SF Led lights, or a whole LED light for that matter, with adjustable brightness.
At same, a retrofit switch for the Arc LS2 tat allows adjustment.
And, more than anything else, the SF short arc Xenon flashlight...

Happy new year

Anthony

stephenanderson2

Newly Enlightened

How about a true survival light. A REALLY bright xenon main bulb, three leds in it 5, 5, and 1W, an emergency strobe, solar panel built in, EL panel on other side, using PILA's , AND Waterproof to 500 ft. Now that would be a light to own. Oh yeah, no bigger than a SFM6. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

Geode

Enlightened

Don't mean to be redundant, but an L4 with a low and high intensity switch. Or something like the LS4, but with less bells and whistles and for half the cost.