The Malkoff Front Porch

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
" Right now I'm testing an Elzetta Charlie with two AA rechargeables. When I read your post I switched it off and on again. True, it didn't come back on.
It ran for 40 Minutes on 2xAA rechargeable."

You want to see some LONG runtimes use 2 alkaline AA. She will run practically forever. I did a bunch of test like this I have the data somewhere but they were much better then rechargeables. Just don't keep them in your light.

I just got an M60 dropin.... so I should put this in a G3 then!

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gene told me a while back that people still asked about the flood models when I mentioned that I was still using my old M60WLF from 2009.
Many moons ago, I also had the M30F(sold 'cause it wasn't a neutral), and M60WF(gifted to a LEO friend in a 6P for searches, indoor use, etc.).
I just received a variety of Lee filters, 802-4 minus greens for my HDS, and some "light" 251-2 diffusion films to try in my original XPG M61N.

The Lee 251 Quarter White Diffusion with 80% transmissivity turned out to be much more diffusive than expected, but I love it.
Major flood from a regular MD head, that's making me wish for a M91BN as a Wildcat alternative.

Lee filters are easy to use.
For the MD head, it's as simple as using whatever size lens as a template, and trimming to fit(careful of ink that smudges:eek:):
L6stccr.jpg

Here is the beam before:
oKqf7hm.jpg

And with the Lee 251:
s8i5tDO.jpg

The M60WLF was ~100 lumens, I think, while my old M61N is probably 230ish(probably closer to the current M61NL than anything), so this is not a fair comparison in terms of total output. I'm limited to indoor shots since it's daytime.
All that said, look at that beam!

M60WLF on the left:
yl6Fqay.jpg

Control:
Gh0JDtl.jpg

M60WLF:
D4M6Ypl.jpg

M61N w/Lee 251:
DIbRUqN.jpg

Do notice the door frame, which is only 3" in front of the lens pointed 45° away from it(!).

M61N w/Lee 252:
ecJcq3R.jpg

Control:
zEdcWOE.jpg

M60WLF:
LlUaBho.jpg

M61N w/Lee 251:
DTX04Mq.jpg

What can't be fully appreciated here is the width of the beam. It's lighting up the floor, walls, and ceiling to within a couple inches in front of the MD2's bezel.

M61N w/Lee 252:
OPbpWzS.jpg

If it matters, the M60WLF is running on a Keeppower protected 3500mAh 18650, the M61N on an Orbtronic protected 2500mAh 16650 in a 16-18mm adapter(protected 18650 won't fit my old MD2). Both are in 16.5mm MDX heads.

Next up, the Lee 252 Eighth White with >85% tranmissivity.
Edit: Lee 252 added^^^ Definitely more center weighted, but the spill is much brighter, too!
THAT is what I was looking for to use with a M61NLL, as I don't want a concentrated spot in a low output light.

Last edited:

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Same settings as the bathroom and hallway shots above.
I do believe I'll be playing with the Hound Dog XP-L N w/Lee 252 at work tonight...
GINiH1y.jpg

Or the HDS...
HbnW5Ub.jpg

Ehhh. ^^those look impressive relative to the lights with much lower output, and with camera settings that exaggerate their actual brightness, but totally killing the beam's intensity defeats the purpose of having an oversized head.
They were fun to play with indoors, and in a dark yard, but ambient light doesn't do a beam like this any favors.
I'll stick with M61N variants for a floody beam good for close use when it's actually dark...
Totally in if the M91 ever gets bumped to 4000K or higher as a regular offering, though!

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Wow. That's nice. Ya I put some diffusing film on my M91B before and there was very little difference between that and my wildcat.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
My old M61N with Lee 252 on 2xR123 is a warmer ~4000K equivalent to my Zebralight H52Fw's 4500K 280 lumen H1(quite close in every respect, but 3-4x the runtime if using an 18650), meaning it's way more than I'd ever use in the woods at night, but awesome at lighting up *everything* to your immediate front.
I used 2xli-ion for the low beam's sake, as it doesn't make much difference on high.

Low:
yv0O2Ui.jpg

High:
1S0dWHx.jpg

Impressive beam width:
GXS9IgS.jpg

Still more than enough reach for nighttime in heavy woods(or a narrow gorge!):
7YTiTa5.jpg

thermal guy

Flashaholic
5000K. Fantastic tint. Mine from Second batch had a pinkish tint. Nothing like the first. A tad brighter perhaps though.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Owen, man, great pics ! Thanks for taking the time.
:thumbsup:

I'm pretty high on the Lee 252, and am even ordering another MD3 body for the M61N with hi/lo ring, rather than a M61NLL, since the low on 2xli-ion is so useful.
One of my tires got a tiny puncture and slow leak, and was flat when I left for work Thursday night. The same low mode that I was leaving the house by provided plenty of light for hooking up my jump box/compressor, and the high mode lit up a good portion of my back yard so I could watch a trespassing rabbit while the tire pumped up.
I love how being a night person lets me geek out over flashlights, even when I'm working, or have a flat tire...

Last edited:

TD3030

Newly Enlightened
Just wondering, what's everyone's favorite E-series body to pair with a Malkoff head? I have an MDC li-ion head and I've been debating getting an Oveready E35 or the new Lumens Factory 18350 E1 body.

greatscoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depending on what you are looking for, the LF body has an E switch and will be smaller at the tail. The E35 body takes a C style tail and is going to have a larger profile at the tail and will have a very different feel. This should give you an idea.

N88YaB0.jpg

Last edited:

TD3030

Newly Enlightened
I like that the LF tail would be smaller, but I think the MDC head and OR DPC tail is about the same diameter, so the widest part of the light would be the same diameter with either body. I might have to get both and see what I like more after carrying them.

ledbetter

Enlightened
I'm always continually surprised at how light in the pocket MDC heads and bodies are in comparison to Oveready e35, McGizmo, and even VME heads with Malkoff drop ins. The MDC heads may have less brass and a slightly different beam shape but are definitely more compact and lighter. Would love to see a MDC offered in warm.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is for prospective buyers of the Hound Dog and Hound Dog Super, or anyone who might be debating the two.
I'm thinking about selling my HDS, so I figured now was the time if I wanted to do a comparison.
To get a couple of things out of the way, let me make a couple of simple statements:
-Aside from the fact that it has a larger spot, and much broader spill, which some may prefer up close for the spill, and a more useful beam on low, the Super is basically a longer range version of the Hound Dog.
-If you wonder why mine might go up for sale, it's as simple as not needing a long range version of the HD, since I have no real use beyond 100ft. The treeline behind my house isn't even 25yds from my back door...

Also, should you buy a HDS, and immediately compare it to the regular HD, let me encourage you not to get an initial case of buyer's remorse from shining the two on the wall side by side indoors(like I did). I've seen it said on here that the Super "needs room to stretch its legs", and hopefully, you're about to see the truth of that statement.

Here are the 4000K XP-L Hound Dog(L) and Hound Dog Super(R):
yMaVa6g.jpg

WB is set at 4000K for these.
Kinda hard to tell the difference(in brightness-the beams themselves are quite distinctive in person), huh?
Inside, and even outdoors at close range, it can be. That's also why beamshots are often of limited value.

Things change as you increase the shutter speed:
9d6ohUn.jpg

Bq46ha7.jpg

ZZoMJkj.jpg

Even outdoors at 20yds, where the HD's bright corona is still very much part of the beam, it can be hard to tell the two apart, especially from a beamshot that is auto-focused.
It's unfortunate that I accidentally deleted a bunch of outdoor beamshots that I thought had already been copied to a dedicated folder, but this oddball one being left behind kind of makes the point. If it were not for the Super lighting up more area outside the main beam, I wouldn't have been 100% sure that this was the HD.
sJQtPdP.jpg

Here's a couple that didn't get deleted. The difference becomes more apparent with distance. This is only ~40yds, and the fact that the Super throws a larger spot farther is already quite obvious.
Same settings as above, the images are just centered and cropped.
Hound Dog Super(charged:)):
Bp8cxWm.jpg

Hound Dog:
NwwUmPg.jpg

And a M61HOT for the heck of it:
OLqjE8N.jpg

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Ya that's a pretty good description of the hound dog VS the super. There both like car headlights except the super is the high beam. I have a ton of wide open spaces in my area and also a lot of woods. My 18650 HD can take care of 50 percent of my needs. The super does the rest.

QMT93

Enlightened
I noticed the MD2 body has a new grip pattern, while the MD2, and MD4 still come with the old one. Could anyone share their thoughts on the new pattern, and how it looks?

Sent from my LM-V450 using Tapatalk