The new Malkoff M61SHO

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me, incan SF 6P and 9P trigger memories from the years that were dark (pun intended) and thus the association.
Apparently it works just like smell and just like sound. You see/hear something and it takes you back to that time and place.
If the incan-dominated era brings back good memories, perhaps these old incans refresh these memories.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
For me, incan SF 6P and 9P trigger memories from the years that were dark (pun intended) and thus the association.
Apparently it works just like smell and just like sound. You see/hear something and it takes you back to that time and place.
If the incan-dominated era brings back good memories, perhaps these old incans refresh these memories.
I don't mind incandescent lights as long as i remind myself that they are going to absolutely horrible compared to modern lights.Dont get me wrong yes they have a beautiful beam and I used them for years until LED's took over but they are woefully behind even junk leds of today. But somehow I keep buying them. Just bought a big beam lantern from the late 50's early 60's 4 1/2 sealed beam big old 6 volt battery. Throws a square beam about 50-60 feet That's it lol.

timbo114

Enlightened
You guys are right, my mistake. Here's the 61SHO specs straight from the horses mouth.

View attachment 48998

The status quo with most m61's is they're brighter on 6-9v than 4.2v, so that's what I was confusing with in the case of the SHO.
I'm seeing this info today .... what's up with this output numbers drop ? ?
This is the Malkoff Devices P60 style Drop-in LED Conversion with solid brass heatsink construction. The LED is a White (5700K) Luminous SST-20. The output is approximately 750 continuous lumens. The Lux (candela) is approximately 11,000.

Full output runtime is approximately 30-45 minutes on two primary CR123 batteries. Three CR123 batteries would give about an hour.

Full output runtime on a single protected 2500mah 16650 battery is approximately 45-60 minutes. On a single protected 3500mah 18650 battery, expect about 1.5 hrs.

Full output runtime is approximately 2.5-3.0 hrs on two protected 3500mah 18650 batteries.

APPROXIMATE OUTPUTS AND DRAWS AT VARIOUS VOLTAGES​

VOLTAGE3.7 v3.8 v3.9 v4.0 v6.0 v7.2 v9.0 v
LUMENS650750750750750750750
AMP DRAW2.02.22.12.11.41.10.9

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast

Having used Ican SureFire 6P's and 9P's, from 1995 until 2008 (when I put Malkoff's in them), I have many memories of the 50 (or so) minute "run times" (then complete darkness), and of the worry of blowing the P60 and P90 lamps when they were dropped, etc...

I have very little nostalgia for Icans, as I fully remember all the problems with them, from using them for work, not play, from 1979 until 2008.

As aways, I use my flashlights for work, not to play with, perhaps that is the difference.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I do not have any nostalgia whatsoever for crappy AA Minimags with 2x NiCad AA's, in Alaska winters;
dropping them while wearing heavy mittens often required the spare bulb in the tailcap. :-/

I /wish/ someone would have told me about SureFires, way back then; I would have spent more money, but at least I would have had decent illumination ...

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
If only we could be treated to a Malkoff SFT40 3000k HCRI for an outdoor light, or the B35AM which is the best looking high-powered outdoor LED I've seen.

After reading thru all this I'm not sure if I'm supposed to buy the module

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
You know it is what it is. IMO it's what the standard M61 should have been. It's brighter then the standard 61 and has more throw. The spill is much brighter than the 61T with damn near the same throw It's very close to the standard 91 in output and spill but can run at different voltage and get the same output. It's a pretty versatile module.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
There we go, it's settled. I'll order one.

Gene is finding every way to use up the SST20 that he has.
3Amps is the reliable-max recommended by Luminus, so one day there will be a version released that pumps out 936 lumens at 5700k L4 bin, and 992 at L5 bin.

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its lux is closer to that of M61 than M61T, it just doesn't punch as far.

great light, no doubt. I wouldn't turn one down. But's redundant in the array of lights I already got.

the regular m61 is weaker, yeah. But it has better runtime.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't ordered yet. The 519a MDC group buy on FB may be my money better spent.

340pd

Newly Enlightened
I will conclude my comments with my limited experience in using flashlights primarily for urban walks in the dark with the flashlight held at my waist level, I like to see both curbs of an urban street on "low".

My MD2 M61LL w/high/low switch. Works great but I keep the light on high a lot.

My MD2 M61 HOTv2. w/high/low switch. is better because I seldom need high but the spill directly in front of me leaves a bit to be desired.

My MD2 M61 SHO w/high/low switch gives me the perfect balance of spill and throw. On high it allows me to easily identify objects over 100yds away. Usually, I can complete my one hour 4 mile walk never using high unless I am checking for wandering critters.