Evolution of the Malkoff Hound Dog?

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
My Hound Dog is an XM-L with MD4 body, which I purchased in Nov. 2016, and like very much. I've been thinking of getting an 18650 model, with the newer 21700 body.

Reading through threads here, I see older versions, and possibly different model numbers, as well as what I think is the older style head, which I like the looks of.

I was just wondering if there is a definitive list of the progression of changes, model numbers, and what the differences are over the years regarding lumens, beam profiles, etc.

I think I read that the reflectors used to be metal, and then changed? Does anyone know when that happened and what the effects were?

I really like the look of this style of head, and I think it would look great on a 1 x 21700 body, even though I realize that the head is likely long out of production.

JT

Malkoff HD 4.jpg

Dicaeopolis

Enlightened
I have an old reflector Hound Dog with the same style head you picture there. I have an old reflector 18650 Hound Dog also but the head is still shaped like the newer head. My newer 18650 non reflector Hound Dog has more throw, but came with two filters if the user wants to smooth out the beam. I am not sure it still does though. I thought my XT was 70000 lux, now it says they are 55000 lux.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I have an old reflector Hound Dog with the same style head you picture there. I have an old reflector 18650 Hound Dog also but the head is still shaped like the newer head. My newer 18650 non reflector Hound Dog has more throw, but came with two filters if the user wants to smooth out the beam. I am not sure it still does though. I thought my XT was 70000 lux, now it says they are 55000 lux.
If you got the XT when it first came out it has much more throw then the new version. That's what I got. I believe he dummed it down for V2

turbodog

Flashaholic
I've got one that's about 9-12 months old. 2x18650 or 4x123 so it's pretty useful from a battery standpoint.

But ALL of the higher power lights suffer from thermal issues, regardless of mfg.

Really should run them flooded with water for cooling. And yes, I know there are non-conductive fluids like mineral oil/etc. for this.

Mine has the TIR optic with a very usable beam pattern. Heat is the limiting factor.

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
The new ones are TIR. The reflector versions are a thing to behold. Absolutely beautiful beam.

Ahh, gotcha. I didn't realize that the new ones were TIR. I'm glad I got mine when I did. I've taken good care of it and it's still like new. I actually just got a new style MD4 body with tri-cap switch for it. No more rolling away. Great light.

Dicaeopolis

Enlightened
"The optic is composed of a large homogeneous mass of PMMA," is the description under the Hound Dog Super. Is that also considered a TIR? I am guessing he would need a really large reflector to get the light to throw as far with a comparable size TIR. I am not sure though. I always wondered what the reason for TIR was.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always wondered what the reason for TIR was.
TIR captures every ray of light and directs or redirects it. A reflector only captures a portion of the rays, leaving other days untouched. The "spill" is untouched rays, the "spot" is the reflector directing the rays.

An appropriately designed TIR can do what a reflector is unable to do.

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
I am not sure though. I always wondered what the reason for TIR was.

I've wondered that too. Here is a decent explanation with diagram, examples, photos.