Hound Dog 18650 XT V2

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
I mean, if you're going for a tight hot-spot with very little spill.... Might as well just get a LEP, and enjoy far more throw too.
That all depends on the beam shape. From what I've seen of LEP, it's not what I'm interested in.

intake_monk

Newly Enlightened
Can confirm there is no filter on the Hound Dog 18650XT V2. I have the cool white version, when in low mode it has a green tinge which isn't the nicest, but on high you can't see it.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
Might be an SST20?
I'm thinking most likely an XPL.

Last edited:

NH Lumens

Enlightened
FYI

The HD XPL comes with a 1-degree holographic diffuser installed behind the main protective lens. Removing the diffuser increases the luminous intensity to that of the HD 18650 (55k cd), but the rings and artifacts are then even more obvious.

The WC 18650 comes with a 10-degree holographic filter. With the diffuser removed, the beam is similar to the Hound Dog, but the Wildcat's TIR optic is 10-degree so the hot spot is slightly wider. It's the 10-degree holographic diffuser that turns it into a flood beam.

You can order the 1-degree, 5-degree and 10-degree diffusers to fit the current HD and WC heads directly from Gene (contact him by email). To the best of my knowledge he no longer uses the 5-degree version in any light, so that version is subject to availability. They're all made of the Luminit material as well.

Reactions: F89

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read all the good stuff you wrote in the Wildcat thread. Thanks for all the info.

So far I'm guessing that the V1 is likely an Osram and V2 may be an XPL/XPL Hi?
I also think it's likely the same TIR (in both V1 and 2) which has a narrower angle than the Wildcat.

From what I've read it sounds like the 18650 versions are less popular than the standard Hound dog and Wild cat.

Anyone else have more to include on the Hound dog 18650 XT V2, owners or prospective buyers?

intake_monk

Newly Enlightened
I read all the good stuff you wrote in the Wildcat thread. Thanks for all the info.

So far I'm guessing that the V1 is likely an Osram and V2 may be an XPL/XPL Hi?
I also think it's likely the same TIR (in both V1 and 2) which has a narrower angle than the Wildcat.

From what I've read it sounds like the 18650 versions are less popular than the standard Hound dog and Wild cat.

Anyone else have more to include on the Hound dog 18650 XT V2, owners or prospective buyers?
I'm not sure about the specifics but this light is regulated on a linear driver. It looks the brightest when you top off the battery and much less so a few days in.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's it like in use? Does it give you a tunnel vision effect?

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hound Dog 18650 XT V1 Review

• LED: No information provided (appears to be a Osram White Flat) @ 5700K
  • Other LED options:
    • Red
    • Green
  • Battery Format (Voltage Range: up to 6.0V): 1 x 18650 OR 2 x CR123A ONLY
  • Output & Runtime (with 1 x 18650 3500mAh Battery):
    • High – (700 lumens / 1 h) → followed by 45 minutes of tapering output till 100 lumens
    • Low – (50 lumens) → Runtime is dependent on how often HIGH is activated
  • Effective Beam Distance: ~365m
  • Beam intensity:
    • With 5 degree diffuser: 35,000cd
    • With 1 degree diffuser: 70,000cd
    • With no diffuser: 90,000cd

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hound Dog 18650 XT V2
- Does a great job of putting the only 850 lumens down-range on the target. Great light!

- had to reduce the size of the gigantic pics so quality suffered...

Hound Dog 18650 XT V2 Left vs Nitecore SRT7i (3000 Lumen 80 K Candela)
IMG_8195 copy.jpg

Hound Dog 18650 XT V2 Left Acebeam K65GT (6500 Lumens)
IMG_8186 Copy.jpg

IMG_8039 Copy.JPG

Zebralight SC64 HI (1050 Lumens) vs Hound Dog 18650 XT V2
IMG_7915 Copy.jpg

Nitecore SRT7i (3000 Lumen 80 K Candela) vs Hound Dog 18650 XT V2
IMG_7912 Copy.jpg

Hound Dog 18650 XT V2
IMG_7907 Copy.jpg

Hound Dog 18650 XT V2
IMG_7864 copy.jpg

IMG_7865 Copy.jpg

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great post, thanks Lips.

Looks like a real winner to me.

Lights and Guns

Newly Enlightened
It's everything and then some you'd want in a light. - Or at least it was for me.

It's a little on the big size for an EDC light for me.
I have carried it in my jacket pocket without any issue, but usually leave it in my jeep so I'm close enough to it if I need it.

With the 21700 body on it, it has some serious power behind it and can sustain it for a good amount of time. It's able to light up entire buildings, large open areas and pierces through cars lighting the interiors up like day light regardless if there's some tint on there.

I don't like to go bigger then 18350 form factor for edc purposes as reference. So usually I'll have a much smaller light on my person. - but like having something much more substantial nearby just in case.

With that said, the Malkoff hound dog v2 is my go to for any serious light application…
It used to be modlite, but with the lack of a low mode or any mode other then max output after years of waiting and hoping they'd make some heads with a low/high, I threw in the towel and grabbed the malkoff and I don't regret it one bit.

It's a great light, only thing i don't like about it is that. the finish is quite slippery, and there doesn't seem to be any good options for a pocket clip for it.
Besides that, no complaints!

Last edited:

intake_monk

Newly Enlightened
I wonder if the Thyrm Switchback HOG will fit?
It won't without removing material. The polymer radius inside the clip is too narrow for the Malkoff body to clear.

The olight warrior clip worked but I didn't like the overhang so I went with the fenix tk20r clip I think it was called?

F80ED697-91FB-4A3D-966F-E8AA6B859A79.jpeg

This is my current setup with the fenix clip.
225F436F-FCD0-4C87-8DFE-7931A743A1BF.jpeg

NH Lumens

Enlightened
I don't like to go bigger then 18350 form factor for edc purposes as reference. So usually I'll have a much smaller light on my person. - but like having something much more substantial nearby just in case.

My 650 lumen/70k cd/18350 EDC, on my belt at all times. For its intended use, the short run time is no issue.

HBC-3.jpg

HBC-4.jpg

fatboycl-2.jpg

I also EDC a SF Tactician in a pocket. Between the two there's plenty of capability!

e2t-mv-4.jpg

Lights and Guns

Newly Enlightened
My 650 lumen/70k cd/18350 EDC, on my belt at all times. For its intended use, the short run time is no issue.

View attachment 52819

View attachment 52820

View attachment 52821

I also EDC a SF Tactician in a pocket. Between the two there's plenty of capability!

View attachment 52822
I'm a big fan of that form factor ( 18350 ) - small yet very capable / powerful.
With that said, I've carried a modlite 18350 for a long time, which is quite similar to what you've been running.
However I really, really dislike the one mode - For EDC I'd need to carry another light in conjunction with the modlite, but I refuse to do that because I don't want to weigh myself down. With everything else I carry daily, 1 light it enough.

So I went ahead and grabbed an HDS rotary. Doesn't have the tremendous power that the modlite did. But for EDC the HDS makes so much more sense.
It really is a shame modlite never made available light heads with low/high or high/low or low/med/high ect...

I feel as though if modlite were to offer heads with multiple modes, it would be a game changer. They are great lights with great capability. I've beat the snot out of 1 for the past 4 years of heavy duty use ... in rain, snow, cold and summer heat direct sunlight, also dropped it I don't know how many times, and its still somehow running perfectly, never gave me one issue.

Really wish modlite would put out some heads with multi-modes even just a low/high and I'd be all over it. - Would instantly become my EDC and probably never be replaced. However Seems like they aren't in a rush to put any out... sadly

I've recently picked up a malkoff hound dog 18650 with a 21700 body. I love it and it's capability but too big for daily EDC.

I also seem to prefer the feel in hand of the modlite HOG (21700) body ... with the thrym clip for any "tactical" roles. - The malkoff hound dog is phenomenal - but just annoying that there do not seem to be any good clips on the market for it... also the body itself is quite slick.. enough to the point I needed to add a little grip tape to the body to help in a secure grip.

Just my observations thus far at least.

Last edited:

NH Lumens

Enlightened
There are many SMEs who strongly advocate single mode output for a fighting light. Their reasoning is that the last thing you need when using a flashlight under stress is to have to manage the flashlight. Having the light activate in something other than full output, or having it unintentionally switch to some other setting in a life threatening situation is far from optimal. I've witnessed such failures in low-light pistol classes.

I don't mind carrying the Tactician as my administrative/general-use light knowing that I have a dedicated "fight light" on the belt that's going to provide maximum output every time and without fail when the chips are down. The two lights combined weigh only eight ounces, ride unnoticed and provide capability that can't be matched with a single light.

Would you expect anything less from a flashlight nerd?

edclights-1.jpg

Lights and Guns

Newly Enlightened
There are many SMEs who strongly advocate single mode output for a fighting light. Their reasoning is that the last thing you need when using a flashlight under stress is to have to manage the flashlight. Having the light activate in something other than full output, or having it unintentionally switch to some other setting in a life threatening situation is far from optimal. I've witnessed such failures in low-light pistol classes.

I don't mind carrying the Tactician as my administrative/general-use light knowing that I have a dedicated "fight light" on the belt that's going to provide maximum output every time and without fail when the chips are down. The two lights combined weigh only eight ounces, ride unnoticed and provide capability that can't be matched with a single light.

Would you expect anything less from a flashlight nerd?

View attachment 52914
I agree, and I have carried 2 lights on my person for the past 5 years when at work. (still do) But when I'm just going to the store, on a day off, I don't feel the need. Seems excessive and not worth the added weight and space for me. I just rock the HDS nowadays and it really is an excellent EDC light. - I like the look of your setup, certainly quality lights!

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received one. Here's what I think so far:

The LED is an SST20.

It has a green tint on low, it's not nice.
I'm spoilt by the Osram I've been using as they look a little pink on high side by side with the Malkoff (interestingly) compared to the Surefire mods I have.
The Osram by comparison (with the Malkoff) looks like it's high CRI, reminds me of a Nichia 219B sw45k (of course it's a different story to compare the Nichia and Osram side by side).
I like everything about the Osram more than the SST20 in the Malkoff.

The size of the hound dog head vs the E series TIR leads me to want more throw from the Malkoff as the little Surefires with an Osram really make an account of themselves.

My guess is the V1 Hound Dog XT(with an Osram) is the best version. A bit less lumens and a heap more throw (and better tint etc).

The head has more slop in the fitment than I'd like on low and is a bit wobbly. My old hound dog has pretty much none.

The hotspot is unusual, you could describe it as a hot(ter) spot within a hotspot or a hot spot with a bright corona and a dimmer corona. It also has a bright halo ring.
I'm not particularly worried about how symmetrical or pretty the beam is, it's how it performs in use of course.

I haven't had a chance to use the light yet to form an overall opinion.