M91B vs. Bodyguard v2

md17

Newly Enlightened
Looking into a different setup from the md series with Malkoff makes me wonder about the bodyguard.

I have been using an m91bn in an md2 with 2-16340 Keeppowers. About 30 minutes of full runtime. I find this to be an excellent setup and I am surprised I have never seen anything posted about it. Is there a big downfall to this aside from runtime ?

Any idea how this would compare to a body guard? Is the bodyguard significantly brighter than an m91? On paper they're the same for the high mode with similar runtime on high mode.

Thoughts?

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Completely different light.
Read about the bodyguard again.
After 8 seconds it drops down to 200 lumens.
I've never understood the purpose of the bodyguard.

NH Lumens

Enlightened
I've have used both for years. Side by side, on high for the first eight seconds, the BGV2 blows the M91B away - it's really no contest.

When the BGV2 steps down to 250 lumens, the beam remains extremely useful and current draw drops from 2.4 amps to 0.57 amps, giving it long run time. Keeping it on high only requires blipping the switch to reset the timer, which can be done without limitation. The BGV2 always activates on high.

In use when walking the dogs, I'll use the first eight seconds to scan the back yard and then use low for the rest of the outing.

Then of course is form factor, a BGV2 on an E-series body is lighter, more compact and easier to carry than any MDx flashlight. The BGV2 on an 18350 body provides an impressive amount of light (1,150 lumens / 12,000+ cd) in a very easy-to-carry package;

ucl-6.jpg

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new MDC XP-L multi mode head that gets to 800-900 lumens is where it's at.
I'm just not a Bodyguard user...I'm a multi-mode soft-user. If I need a light like the Bodyguard then I take a 21700 pocketable light I built with a SBT90.2 single mode that puts out around 4,000 lumens.

Johnny Ryall

Newly Enlightened
My take on the BG series is that its a great tac light that can be used for EDC stuff as well, always comes on high and if you need less light it dims after 8 seconds, I have the malkoff tac for the come on high with 3 modes but sometimes it won't always come on high, I got the 123 body SHO and it always is high but sometimes you need more light in certain situations.
I run BGV1 on a 123 body and the BGV2 on a 16650 body, if malkoff ever made a true e series 18650 body for it that would align everything and I'd prob carry that the most, I hated the e series 18650 cap to body thing it comes with now. Right now my most carried light is the MDC/E2T on a 16650 body, that thing rules but would be evenly shared with a BGV2 on a 1 piece malkoff 18650 body.

NH Lumens

Enlightened
Just as another point of comparison, the only light in the current Malkoff lineup that exceeds the BGV2 in lumen output is the Hound Dog Super.

BGV2 on a LF E2 18650 body;

alala-1.jpg

wtd18650-2.jpg

NH Lumens

Enlightened
Any chance of a beam shot of bodyguard Vs m91bn ?
I don't have any beam shot comparisons, but I have taken the following measurements;
  • M91B on two Li-ion cells - approx. 880 lumens / 7,500 cd (input voltage 5.5 - 12v)
  • BGV2 on one Li-ion cell - approx. 1,120 lumens / 12,800 cd (input voltage 3.4 - 6v)
  • E2 Super on one Li-ion cell - approx. 850 lumens / 9,900 cd (input voltage 3.4 - 6v)
Compared to the M91B, the overall subjective beam quality of the BGV2 is better with more uniform color temp and smoother transition from center to spill. The E2 Super beam is not as intense as the BGV2 but is otherwise identical.