M61HOT v2

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Clarify? Link?

Upgrades requires customer input..

ETC, click onto Questions Answers.. I am "Thumbs"
In the past I've emailed and called to talk with Gene.. Years ago, ever since buying a used MD3 body off eB that arrived with beat up head & tail threads, I've been after Gene to convert to ACME. Unfortunately, I might be the only customer requesting the change.

Last edited:

NH Lumens

Enlightened
FYI - I took some quick foot-candle readings at 5 meters in my dark basement and converted to candela. The results are as follows;

Hound Dog Super (8.4v) - 61,600
M91T (8.4v) - 20,875
M61HOT v.2 (4.2v) - 14,300
M61SHO (4.2v) - 10,850
M91B (8.4v) - 7,650

This ranking jives with what I see in terms of relative brightness, and other than the M61HOT v.2 the results are reasonably close to the factory specs. Interesting notes;
  • The M61SHO achieves only about 70% of its lumen rating but meets the lux rating
  • The M61HOT achieves 86% of its lumen rating but only 72% of its lux rating
  • As I have long suspected, my sample of the M91T is an over-achiever
For reference from past testing;

E2SHT* - 81,000 (predecessor of the E2XTD)
E2 Hyper Throw - 33,000

Both of the above met their rated lumen spec.

*The E2SHT has a noticeably tighter and brighter hot spot vs. the last production samples of the E2XTD, so the high cd reading does not surprise me. Side by side it's also brighter than my sample of the Hound Dog Super, though the diameter of the HDS hot spot is massive in comparison.

A few other notes;

I did not test my original version of the M61T in this round, but on a single cell it's about the same as the M61SHO in brightness. On two cells, it measures 420 lumens and visually the brightness (cd) is between the SHO and HOT.

The Bodyguard v.2 closely matches the M61HOT in cd but puts out every bit of its 1,100+ lumen rating according to my measurements. In shear light output it blows away the M61T, M61SHO and M61HOT v.2.

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
FYI - I took some quick foot-candle readings at 5 meters in my dark basement and converted to candela. The results are as follows;

Hound Dog Super (8.4v) - 61,600
M91T (8.4v) - 20,875
M61HOT v.2 (4.2v) - 14,300
M61SHO (4.2v) - 10,850
M91B (8.4v) - 7,650

This ranking jives with what I see in terms of relative brightness, and other than the M61HOT v.2 the results are reasonably close to the factory specs. Interesting notes;
  • The M61SHO achieves only about 70% of its lumen rating but meets the lux rating
  • The M61HOT achieves 86% of its lumen rating but only 72% of its lux rating
  • As I have long suspected, my sample of the M91T is an over-achiever

I did not test my original version of the M61T in this round, but on a single cell it's about the same as the M61SHO in brightness. On two cells, it measures 420 lumens and visually the brightness (cd) is between the SHO and HOT.
Interesting.

Can you include the regular Hound Dog, not the Super version?

Looks like none of them will displace the M91T I have.. and the other observation, M61, M61HOT and M61SHO are redundant. Pick one. Looks like out of the three, HOT is the most promising one. But it's still basically a M91T with the voltage range being different.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm guessing about five years ago. It also won the tint lottery.
I think the latest incarnation got the capability to run on one cell, gained a bit more lumens but lost in the tint department. Pretty much the same thing really as I have no intention on running on one cell. Already tried and it's in the M61T territory.

Lights and Guns

Newly Enlightened
@Lights and Guns : can you add a few photos of the PLHv2 on the Modlite 21700 body?
Sorry, had a long day at work!

Here, I've included 2 pics next to a pen for reference.

As you can tell this plhv2 is the older gen 1 head I got about 4 years ago or so. Still alive and well!

The head is basically flush with the body.

Attachments

• IMG_7336.jpeg
    IMG_7336.jpeg
    634.3 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_7337.jpeg
    IMG_7337.jpeg
    717.2 KB · Views: 120

NH Lumens

Enlightened
Can you include the regular Hound Dog, not the Super version?

Looks like none of them will displace the M91T I have.. and the other observation, M61, M61HOT and M61SHO are redundant. Pick one. Looks like out of the three, HOT is the most promising one. But it's still basically a M91T with the voltage range being different.

I have a HD XP-L inbound, I will include that in the comparison.

My sample of the M91T also runs on a single cell, and seems comparable to the M61T on two cells.

I wish Gene would take the Bodyguard v.2 (3.4 - 6v) and make a M61 module with it.

Lights and Guns

Newly Enlightened
Awesome photos @Lights and Guns ! Thank you!

How do you feel about the tailcap? Is it more difficult to actuate than the one on the 18650 body, or easier, or the same? If you have the regular Malkoff MDX tailcap, can you compare it with the Modlite?
I actually really like the tailcap on the 21700, it is quite similar to the 18650 however, I do feel as though its more sensitive and requires less travel to actuate momentary light then the 18650. - Basically more responsive. You barely press the switch down and momentary comes on.

Don't have a malkoff on my person as the moment, so don't want to compare the two unless I'm holding both in hand.

NH Lumens

Enlightened
Don't have a malkoff on my person as the moment, so don't want to compare the two unless I'm holding both in hand.

Malkoff tailcap threads are the same as Surefire, so there is a HUGE selection of tailcaps that can be used on a Malkoff MDx body.

I'm not sure if that is the case with Modlite - do Surefire tailcaps fit?

QMT93

Enlightened
I actually really like the tailcap on the 21700, it is quite similar to the 18650 however, I do feel as though its more sensitive and requires less travel to actuate momentary light then the 18650. - Basically more responsive. You barely press the switch down and momentary comes on.

Thanks @Lights and Guns !

Lights and Guns

Newly Enlightened
Malkoff tailcap threads are the same as Surefire, so there is a HUGE selection of tailcaps that can be used on a Malkoff MDx body.

I'm not sure if that is the case with Modlite - do Surefire tailcaps fit?
Not sure off the top of my head, haven't tried. But will have to soon.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had an older version of M91T which did not run on a single cell. I had no idea newer versions could. He was pretty clear with the voltage, 5-12V or so. Kind of amazing that it does.

rgcurrey

Newly Enlightened
Well, to resurrect an older thread, I got a M61HOT V2 back in December. I have been out of the light game for years, my most modern lights were a M61LL in a old G2 and a Surefire U2 (still dig the adjustment collar). I have been so in love with the M61HOT, it just throws a wall of light such a useful distance for me. I have a Cloud MCH HC on order . . . still waiting for them to ship it. I imagine it will well out throw the M61HOT V2, but, I know it won't have that spill/wall of light too. Heck, I liked it so much I recently picked up a used M61HOT (V1) as a back up light/WML, because it was a good deal.

Well, to resurrect an older thread, I got a M61HOT V2 back in December. I have been out of the light game for years, my most modern lights were a M61LL in a old G2 and a Surefire U2 (still dig the adjustment collar). I have been so in love with the M61HOT, it just throws a wall of light such a useful distance for me. I have a Cloud MCH HC on order . . . still waiting for them to ship it. I imagine it will well out throw the M61HOT V2, but, I know it won't have that spill/wall of light too. Heck, I liked it so much I recently picked up a used M61HOT (V1) as a back up light/WML, because it was a good deal.
Sounds like you've got a keeper. I like to buy "spares" of my favorite toys as well. At least the ones that I can actually afford more than one of. ;)