M61HOT v2

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Have you done any real world test? Like outside with the 91T vs 61hot? Can you see if they are basically the same?

Robot Mania FU

Newly Enlightened
I just keep telling myself I love my 91bw in hopes I won't be tempted with the 61sho and 61hot......but you guys really aren't making this easy for me. The warm tint is the only thing saving me right now.

R.VanWinkle

Newly Enlightened
I received an M61HOTv2 (head only) and have been pleased using it on an MD2 body the past couple of nights. Today I took it out of the MDX22.3 head and realized I hadn't done my homework before ordering - the light engine has the same larger dimensions as my M91T, so it can't fit in the SF P6 sized heads like the M952 I was hoping to put it in.

Does anyone know if the M61HOTv2 / M91T sized light engines will fit in the Malkoff VME head? I kinda doubt it since it was designed for the M60, etc. series , but I couldn't find any references searching the site.

Thanks, RVW

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know if the M61HOTv2 / M91T sized light engines will fit in the Malkoff VME head?

I'm definitely not an expert on this matter, and barely even think I know what a VME head is....... but noticed this while shopping. Would this enable use of an M61 module in a VME head?

R.VanWinkle

Newly Enlightened

The Malkoff VME head allows one to match M61 modules of the standard "P60 drop-in size" with standard SureFire "E" series bodies. The voltage of the drop-in has to match the batteries used in the body.

The M91T (and the M61HOTv2 as I know now) have a larger diameter body and will not fit in SF P60 bodies. Malkoff does not sell these modules individually, only in an MDX head which will fit his MD series bodies (which are top-notch by the way). The M61HOTv2 is an outstanding light in the MD bodies I have, but I am hoping to find a way to adapt it for a weaponlight . I doubt it will fit in the VME head but I don't have one to try it out..

NH Lumens

Enlightened
The M61HOTv2 is an outstanding light in the MD bodies I have, but I am hoping to find a way to adapt it for a weaponlight . I doubt it will fit in the VME head but I don't have one to try it out..

Neither the M61HOT or M91T modules fit the VME head. The new M61SHO module does.

Depending on the WML application, you're better off looking at the E1 - E2 heads - especially the E2 Super and E2HT models. Compared to the M61HOT, the E2 Super has a little less throw but much brighter and more uniform spill, and the E2HT has much more throw but the spill is not quite as bright.

You could also take a look at the E2XT which equals the E2HT in lumens but produces higher candela with a more focused beam at the expense of spill.

FWIW...

My "serious use" EDC light consists of the now-discontinued E2XTD head (650 lumens/70,000 cd) on a no-longer-available Oveready E35 body and a Lumens Factory Z14/Z31 twisty tailcap;

HBC-3.jpg

My primary EDC light is the excellent Surefire E2T-MV Tactician (love those high/low bezel switches!) with a few mods and powered with a 16650 Li-ion cell. At 800 lumens on high and 5 lumens on low, it produces a wide, easy-on-the-eyes beam that is excellent for up-close use and general illumination purposes;

edclights-1.jpg

Between the two, eight ounces total that cover all of my EDC needs.

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
From Malkoff website:
"The M61HOT Head was designed specifically for use on the Malkoff MD2, MD3, or MD4 Body with one or two protected rechargeable 18650 Li-ion Battery(s) or two or three CR123 primary batteries. The input voltage is 3.8 - 9 volts. Below 3.8 volts it will drop out of regulation and run direct drive. This head is protected against reverse polarity."
Furthermore, the outputs between one or two cells are negligible, if not identical, also according to Malkoff website. In other words, we're getting the best of both worlds: using one rechargeable cell to maximize the number of available flashlights, while minimizing the size to carry, or using two rechargeable cells to maximize runtime and grip.

That's right. The same voltage range is M61 or M61T. There is apparently no point to the v1.0 of HOT.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, I currently carry 2 lights at work.

A big selling point and why the M61HOTv2 was appealing to me was the HI/LO so I could just carry the one light and not 2 lights like I currently do.

I do not get it. Are you saying other lights are not capable of high-low, thus replacing two lights?

I EDC a MD2 with M61T with high-low. 20 lumens low, 450 on high or so.

M61HOT makes sense if you specifically want 5 lumen low. Nothing special about that, I tried one and 20 lumens is much more lively. With M91T the low is even higher. MD4 feels like 30 lumens. I like that to the point where the low mode can be the primary mode.

Malkoff M61HOT V2 (High Output Throw) Flashlight. The output is approximately 750 measured Out the Front Lumens. If the optional H/L Switch is installed (see Options above), the High/Low is controlled by head rotation. The low output is approximately 5 lumens with one rechargeable Li-ion battery or about 20 lumens with two rechargeable Li-ion batteries.

Lights and Guns

Newly Enlightened
I do not get it. Are you saying other lights are not capable of high-low, thus replacing two lights?

I EDC a MD2 with M61T with high-low. 20 lumens low, 450 on high or so.

M61HOT makes sense if you specifically want 5 lumen low. Nothing special about that, I tried one and 20 lumens is much more lively. With M91T the low is even higher. MD4 feels like 30 lumens. I like that to the point where the low mode can be the primary mode.

Malkoff M61HOT V2 (High Output Throw) Flashlight. The output is approximately 750 measured Out the Front Lumens. If the optional H/L Switch is installed (see Options above), the High/Low is controlled by head rotation. The low output is approximately 5 lumens with one rechargeable Li-ion battery or about 20 lumens with two rechargeable Li-ion batteries.

No lights I've tried yet can compete with the output and throw of a modlite.

Tried the M61 and really liked it, but when put side by side with a modlite… it isn't even close.

The modlite is both brighter and throws much further.

I'm just going to stick with the modlite as my primary light and a secondary smaller light for admin tasks.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not a bad dilemma to have! ;-)

The Modlite PLv2 (1,350 lumens / 54,000 cd) is a beast.

A few years back I was advising a warrants officer on hand held light selection for work and recommended a M91T head (same as the M61 HOT, different voltage range) on a MD3 body. He rolled with that (and very much liked it) until he purchased a PLv2, which as you already know greatly outperforms anything Malkoff makes with the exception of the Hound Dog Super.

MD3 body sucks for anything but low-draw applications, 18500s do not store as much as the larger cells. Go with MD4, make it marginally longer but double the runtime.

As for Modlite PLHv2-18650 Light, Malkoff 18650 Hound Dog can take it. Is it potted and heatsinked just like Malkoff and are these lumens sustainable?

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
No lights I've tried yet can compete with the output and throw of a modlite.

Tried the M61 and really liked it, but when put side by side with a modlite… it isn't even close.

The modlite is both brighter and throws much further.

I'm just going to stick with the modlite as my primary light and a secondary smaller light for admin tasks.

I do not believe the smaller head of the modlite can match the larger throw head of 18650 Hound Dog. M61 is a joke and has been obsolete for years, it's terrible outside, very low lux, so-so lumens, it loses against anything even in the Malkoff line. It's best used as a backup light.

The 18650 HD has 55K Lux and almost 1000 lumens. It will appear brighter than a light with 400 more lumens due to higher lux and it's a real thrower. It is fully potted and heatsinked unlike cheaper lights.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like my latest-greatest M91T and nothing else comes close to it in the Malkoff lineup with standard head. Yes, there are lights with more lumens but not the lux and it's the lux that makes the difference.

To punch above it, the P60 head is dead, have to go the Hound Dog head. Either 18650 HD or the MD4 Hound Dog.

Lights and Guns

Newly Enlightened
MD3 body sucks for anything but low-draw applications, 18500s do not store as much as the larger cells. Go with MD4, make it marginally longer but double the runtime.

As for Modlite PLHv2-18650 Light, Malkoff 18650 Hound Dog can take it. Is it potted and heatsinked just like Malkoff and are these lumens sustainable?
Yes, the Hound dog can take it, but the hound dog is also MUCH bigger of a light. Due to size and weight they really aren't in the same category in my opinion.

The modlite is appealing because I can place it in my pocket and almost forget its there. I absolutely cannot do that with a hound dog. The hound dog (for me) is either a bed-side light for a bump in the night, or a truck light. But I'm not carrying that in my pocket or even on my belt for that matter.

Also, as far as sustainability goes, I have seen the modlite 18650 tested recently and it is able to sustain most of its output/lux for the first 5-7ish minutes from turning the light on. Once you hit the 10 minutes mark you are at about half the stated output, it seems to settle there, and is able to sustain that output for most of the remainder of the battery life. This is more then acceptable for me, because generally I'll use my light for about 3-5 minutes MAX before I turn it off and have my task accomplished.

Last edited:

Lights and Guns

Newly Enlightened
I do not believe the smaller head of the modlite can match the larger throw head of 18650 Hound Dog. M61 is a joke and has been obsolete for years, it's terrible outside, very low lux, so-so lumens, it loses against anything even in the Malkoff line. It's best used as a backup light.

The 18650 HD has 55K Lux and almost 1000 lumens. It will appear brighter than a light with 400 more lumens due to higher lux and it's a real thrower. It is fully potted and heatsinked unlike cheaper lights.
Well, the 18650 Plh-v2 is rated at 54k lux and 1350 lumens. So on paper it is superior. (THOUGH, yes I'm sure the larger reflector plays a huge part) So might make up for the difference in that way. But again, the hound dog and the 18650 modlite are in different classes due to size and weight. - Also just ease of carry. The hound dog head is much bigger and would be a lot harder and more uncomfortable to carry daily.

With that said, since you've brought up a larger flashlight. Which I never wanted too since I don't like carrying "huge" lights on me.

I will say, the Modlite HOG will beat out the malkoff hound dog
I own the modlite HOG Plh-V2
It's pumping out 1350 lumens, with 120k LUX.
Or if you want to go even crazier, since you mentioned LUX in your last post, you can opt for the Modlite HOG - OKW head, which brings a whopping 170k LUX.

These lights don't run on a 18650, but (1) 21700.

They can sustain the output longer due to the larger battery type, and the extra lux comes from the large head they sport.

With that said, I don't super enjoy carrying the HOG around with me, its too big to carry in pocket comfortably, and a bit large even on a belt.

I have recently bought the adapter kit, to put the smaller Plh-v2 head (from the 18650 body) to the HOG 21700 body.

This has been AMAZING, and the 21700 battery can sustain the output of the smaller light head MUCH longer then the 18650 can.
The runtime in total with this setup is a whopping 5 hours.

It's quite impressive and I have really been enjoying carrying / running this setup.

I'd argue "sustained output" is a non-issue with this setup. (Hog body / smaller head) So you have 1350 lumens/54klux at your disposal without having a heavier/larger head like on the hound dog.

I for one, don't need to worry about "sustained output" (especially with this setup) because by the time the light starts stepping down, I've been LONG done with the light for my application. Also, don't need to worry about recharging the battery all the time, because it has a bunch more capacity, for only a tiny amount of larger diameter over an 18650.

So, overall if I were to opt in to using a light with a larger head, it would be the HOG from modlite, it isn't TOO large but large enough for me to not want to carry it around. The performance of it outside at night is ridiculous it's basically a portable handheld spotlight with plenty of usable spill.

With that said, due to keeping the size/weight down and the head slim so it's not uncomfortable to carry, I've landed on the HOG body with the smaller modlite head attached via adapter. - Great output/great runtime/able to carry it without a huge head digging in to your body.

P.S.
Just want to make it clear these lights aren't for my EDC. They are for my work.

For EDC I have been enjoying carrying an HDS NB40 (200lumen) rotary with sapphire lens.
--->For me, this light is perfection. After the past 2 decades of carrying lights using lights and buying lights. I have never used such a intuitive and practical light. No matter what task is at hand, the rotary is able to bring the output to a level that is perfection.
I don't have to compromise and pick between a high/low/medium output... That can "get the job done"... I can fine tune my lighting needs to the task perfectly. Also, low-lows are phenomenal for things such as camping/hunting/preserving night vision ect.

Last edited:

340pd

Newly Enlightened
I just keep telling myself I love my 91bw in hopes I won't be tempted with the 61sho and 61hot......but you guys really aren't making this easy for me. The warm tint is the only thing saving me right now.
Agreed, which is why I ordered both. V2 due in today.

Last edited: