Hound Dog 18650 XT V2

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm interested in thoughts, opinions, and comparisons (within the Malkoff range) of this light.

Looks good to me? I've never seen one.

Should have added experiences obviously.

Last edited:

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a Malkoff. It's definitely gonna be good!!

But yes, I'm interested as well. I'd like to aquire one of these one day, don't need it, but it'll be nice to own

Reactions: F89

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure, but I've read somewhere in here that the power (throw?) was reduced from V1 to V2.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder what changed?
The new one is stated to be 850 lumens, 55Kcd.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Ya not sure. I have the V1 and it's a damn good thrower. I know with all the filters on it gets kicked down to 55 or so. Maybe he is just listing the new Version like that. Or ya must be a different led.

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
Couple + good reviews of older HD

18650 XT V1 (Version 1 with Osram High 700 L 90K Lux) 1 & 5 degree Diffuser included)

Last edited:

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ya not sure. I have the V1 and it's a damn good thrower. I know with all the filters on it gets kicked down to 55 or so. Maybe he is just listing the new Version like that. Or ya must be a different led.
That's another thought, diffusion filter.

I'm guessing they both use an Osram?

Does the V2 come with such a filter? It looks clear in the photos.
On that note, did the V1 come with filters?

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a V3 XML (neutral XML2, won't run on single cell). The 18650 V2 should be a fairly different beast to that one.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
That's another thought, diffusion filter.

I'm guessing they both use an Osram?

Does the V2 come with such a filter? It looks clear in the photos.
On that note, did the V1 come with filters?
Yes V1 came with 3 filters. Never used them myself.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Couple + good reviews of older HD

Yes the older reflector HD have an absolutely beautiful beam. Especially th neutral.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes the older reflector HD have an absolutely beautiful beam. Especially th neutral.
It's a nice beam. It does have a large yellow/green corona but the hotspot and spill are nice. It's not an issue in use, don't notice the off coloured corona, only really seen shining it on a white wall.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hear you. Depends on the overall beam shape for me though.
The new one is described as a tight spot with minor spill. I'm not sure how this compares with the V1.
850 lumens and 55Kcd in a reasonably sized head on a single cell body sounds pretty good to me.

It really doesn't look like the V2 has any filter installed so perhaps it's a change of optic/LED/driver in part or combination?

I'd probably take a bigger hotspot and less throw compared to a smaller with more for a light like this. Particularly if both had minor spill.

From what I've read on here the current Wild Cat with the diffuser removed or replaced for a lesser one sounds like a great option.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I mean, if you're going for a tight hot-spot with very little spill.... Might as well just get a LEP, and enjoy far more throw too.