The Malkoff M61!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwminer

Enlightened
Well once again Gene's mean machine killed my order for two M61's. I had two in my shopping cart, filled out all the required information but was to slow. How frustrating. Maybe the fourth time will be a charm.
Dave

Vesper

Enlightened
I love it when Gene comes out with new stuff. This is always fun to watch. :D I'm cool with waiting - I'm looking forward to trying out my new m61 on a warm summer night (and hopefully not summer 2011 - doh!)

Noctis

Enlightened
He's one guy, building them (I believe) by hand. And he recently had an appendectomy.

I understand that he's working on ramping up mass production of the M61, but is not quite there yet.

Cut him a little slack. I'd imagine that he's as interested (perhaps more interested) as any of us in ramping up production to meet demand, since this is, you know, his means of income.

In other news, I think that the MD2 with hi/lo ring will be an ideal M61 host. I should be finding out soon. My first M61 ended up in an Electronguru 6P. This one will end up in a MD2.
I'm just kinda annoyed at the idea. You hear all about his drop-ins in every other topic, somebody else tells you that there's going to be a good supply of them being made available, then you miss your one chance to buy them after waiting for over a month because you didn't check your e-mail every half an hour every single day for the past month+ due to work/sleep/any-activity-that-doesn't-have-you-sitting-in-front-of-the-computer.

And the next batch won't be available for yet another 1-2 months? Again, I really have to say that trying to get one of Malkoff's drop-ins is like winning the lottery for a million dollars.

Regardless of whether anyone can be blamed for this, can you really blame me for being annoyed given the circumstances?

carrot

Flashaholic
Don't worry Noctis, a *real* supply of them is supposed to be coming along, it is just taking time to move from the hand-built models that we have all been getting to the full scale production that we once enjoyed the availability of when the M60's were being made. His brass heatsinks are sourced from Iowa and his reflectors are coming from Hawaii, not to mention the other bits, so it's understandable that there could be many hold-ups in getting them to full production numbers.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Count me among the losers. I didn't see the notification until 80 minutes after it arrived. As for the CPFer who bought 10: I urge Gene to limit sales of the M61 to 2 per customer per batch until they're mass-produced. All my lights are now 1AA, 2AA, or 3AA, lithium-free. Here's hoping the universe had me miss out for a reason: Say, an M21 or M31.

Mikellen

Enlightened
Just checked my e-mail and WOW!! great M61 back in stock!! As soon as I click on the Malkoff link it shows Out of Stock! :eek:

I guess I'll have to wait some more. :tired:
Good think I love :popcorn:

benh

Newly Enlightened
I guess I shouldn't admit this, but I waltzed right into both of my M61s.

I'd wanted one, and signed up for the email notification. But rather than send the notification to my regular email account, I sent it to my phone's SMS address.

Back in mid February, I was sitting in an airport, when my phone dinged, telling me that the M61 was in stock again. Fired up the laptop, bada bing, one M61 on the way. Total time invested, less than 10 minutes.

Got it, liked it so much, I decided I wanted another. Once again, signed up for the notification to my phone, and went on my merry way.

This evening, I was walking to the fridge for a beer, and ding! Opened my beer, opened my laptop, added the M61 to my cart, dithered for about 10 minutes on if I should get another M60LL as long as I was there, decided not to, and mere moments later, the other M61 was secured.

Better living through efficient use of technology.

I certainly understand scarcity of high demand items, and how frustrating it can be. I've been involved in enough of those kinds of situations, and haven't always been as fortunate as I have been here.

But in the end, it's just stuff and you can't take it too seriously.

And as for the CPFer who bought 10, if he bought 10 to use, more power to him. If he bought 10 to resell at a profit, I figure that's his prerogative in a free market, just as it is mine to refuse to deal with him due to my personal distaste for such tactics.

Last edited:

Anak

Newly Enlightened
Just checked my e-mail and WOW!! great M61 back in stock!! As soon as I click on the Malkoff link it shows Out of Stock! :eek:

I guess I'll have to wait some more. :tired:

+1

Whodda Thunk four hours was too late to the party:mecry:

At this rate, odds are it will be a long time before I ever see one of these.

Time to start looking for other options.

Csp203

Newly Enlightened
With any luck I will pick up one 5 years from now (like an m63 at the end of its production). I think the chase is half the fun, It is not life or death.

R.VanWinkle

Newly Enlightened
Well, that better living through efficient use of technology business didn't help me out none. :banghead: About five minutes elapsed between me getting the e-mail on my crackberry, disengaging myself from a conversation and running to my computer, and danged if they weren't already out of stock. Mebbe I was just at the end of a really, really long notification list. Signed up again, of course. I suppose I have enough flashlights and beer to survive until the next lot comes out.

Hasta, RVW

Enlightened
There was almost a good hour between the time I received my email until they were out of stock. I got my notification close to 5:30pm CST this afternoon.. I kept watch of it until almost 6:30pm when they finally sold out. If you got your email around that time, there was plenty to order.

Noctis

Enlightened
Count me among the losers. I didn't see the notification until 80 minutes after it arrived. As for the CPFer who bought 10: I urge Gene to limit sales of the M61 to 2 per customer per batch until they're mass-produced. All my lights are now 1AA, 2AA, or 3AA, lithium-free. Here's hoping the universe had me miss out for a reason: Say, an M21 or M31.
Agreed. What Moddoo and Gene make obviously aren't charged high enough for custom drop-ins. Moddoo made a clever choice to limit the sales to 1 per person in order to stop opportunists from taking advantage and letting everyone else get a shot at them.

txgp17

Enlightened
Supply and Demand guys.

I think this is a sure sign that Gene could increase the price of the M61.

Price serves the necessary function of rationing a good or service.

Status
Not open for further replies.