The Malkoff M61!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Max_Power

Enlightened
I just need continue to repeat my mantra:

I shall not buy any light that is not warm.
I shall not buy any light that is not warm.

etc.

I'm doing the same, but if I saw available M61 drop-ins every time I went to malkoffdevices.com, I'd probably have one "just to check it out."

So this little shortage is doing me a favor :)

Noctis

Enlightened
Unless I fell asleep somewhere, the price on the M61 just jumped up by $10.

But then, I would bet good money that the thing would STILL sell like hotcakes even if it was $80.

Brian321

Enlightened

But then, I would bet good money that the thing would STILL sell like hotcakes even if it was $80.

I bet Gene reads this thread and took your guys advice for him to raise the price :ohgeez:......LOL

Noctis

Enlightened
Considering how well it sold, it would be counterproductive to NOT raise the price. Personally I'd say it's going in the right direction, and it should stay up there until he can get full production of these things out, in which case they can be put on sale.

Whether I'm right or wrong about this will be clearly obvious when the next batch comes out.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast

You're right, it did - my bet? Probably reflects the actual costs for the production version as opposed to the essentially hand-built ones in the first couple of runs.

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Gene, what's with new price rise? I honestly thought you would ignore all the talk of raising the price from all these guys that already have one. You have some pretty loyal fans here that have been waiting very patiently for your production to ramp up. What do we get? A price rise.

That OP that bought 10 is going to make some $$$$s.
Flame suit now on. :devil:

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I have met Gene and he is not the kind of guy who is going to raise his prices because of some comments in this thread. There is more to him than that. Talking to him yesterday, he did say that he would have to raise his prices on the M61. It would seem to me, and he did not say this, that the price of the McGizmo reflector alone would warrant the price increase. BTW, I have not been an advocate of raising the price of the M61 based on comments made here, and in fact would have preferred the price to remain at $59.00, because I don't own one yet. :mecry:

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
These are humor, no???

Hey Gene, what's with new price rise? I honestly thought you would ignore all the talk of raising the price from all these goons that already have one. You have some pretty loyal fans here that have been waiting very patiently for your production to ramp up. What do we get? A price rise.

That OP that bought 10 is going to make some $$$$s.
Flame suit now on. :devil:

$10 price hike??? WTF

choppytubbs

Newly Enlightened
Gene sounds like someone with a lot of integrity, I cannot imaging he would raise the price purely because he can. There is too many people who have not had a fair chance to get one yet and he risks upsetting all of them.

I would of thought full production and the efficiency that come with it would lower prices? Although with all the encouragement he has received to so, why not? You gotta listen to the customer. Thanks guys. I'm out. :whistle:

carrot

Flashaholic
Hi guys, with regards to the price raise:

I spoke to Gene several weeks before talks of raising the price even occurred on CPF. Gene was telling me how he really wanted to keep the price the same because of the precedent he set with the M60's and that he thought it was a great price point, however due to the higher costs of the materials he would have to raise his price eventually.

Gene is certainly not doing it because he can make an excellent profit by doing so. He had to raise the price due to a price increase in materials.

dwminer

Enlightened
Let's do the math:
Malkoff MD2 flashlight $49
M61 led $69 + shipping $10
High/low benzel $22 + shipping $10
Hopefully I had the MD2 shipped when one of the other items shipped, but I didn't
so the total of one piecemeal MD2 flashlight for me is going to be $170 and Ho plus the M61 Lens and head gasket $4 plus another $10 shipping, in the mad rush to order I for got it. So now the grand total is $184. I would say that Gene is doing just fine with people like me.

PS I really want an orange MD2 so add another $70 plus $10 shipping.
Hopefully my wife never reads this
Dave

See that word "Flashaholic", thats me.
Malkoff fan!

Last edited:

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: when will Malkoff update their dropins?

I am in full support of Gene taking as much time as it takes for R & D on the XPG models of his drop-in. I for one hope that it doesn't mean the end to the XRE line up. I'd like to see those in production for years to come, or at least until another narrow beamed emitter comes around fill in the optic niche.

My concern now is with the Maglite drop ins, of which this discussion is surprisingly lacking in updated news. Has anyone heard from Gene as to when the next run of XPGs is due to come out. I missed out on the first batch and and have been checking in constantly hoping to get my hands on one. I've heard that some people may have had issues with the 2-3 cell models. Is there problems delaying additional releases. Like I said I'm all for proper development on the M60's, but I hope the Maglite drop in production doesn't get completely cast aside because of this.

Now to get back to baseless rumors and speculations where the real meat of any forum discussion is at...I'm exited to see what replaces the P7 Maglite drop ins. Is anyone else crossing their fingers for a SST-50, or dare I say SST-90...

Start a thread on that or find one that was opened and faded away, lets not mix maglite modules with the M61 thread. Its really a different subject. :nana:

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think Gene has painted himself into a corner with his MD2 host. All his MD2, MD3, MD4 + VME e series heads are all designed for an M60 with optic that he no longer produces.

To accommodate the small bezel opening of the MD2, he has had to compromise and make the reflector of the M61 smaller than an average P60 size drop in. In order to use the M61 in an MD2, he has had to compromise again and use a thin plastic window instead of a more robust pyrex window as in the 6P. Due to the thread length of the MD2 host, a thicker, more robust window cannot be used.

I respectfully ask Gene if there is any chance of him making any of the following:

1. An M61 drop-in that has a normal P60 sized reflector to properly match the bezel size of a Surefire 6P host?

2. A Malkoff host that is designed to house the M61 that also offers a pyrex style glass window that has the same hi/low output feature?

3. An M60 optic style XP-G drop-in?

James.....:D

Last edited:

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have met Gene and he is not the kind of guy who is going to raise his prices because of some comments in this thread. There is more to him than that. Talking to him yesterday, he did say that he would have to raise his prices on the M61. It would seem to me, and he did not say this, that the price of the McGizmo reflector alone would warrant the price increase. BTW, I have not been an advocate of raising the price of the M61 based on comments made here, and in fact would have preferred the price to remain at $59.00, because I don't own one yet. :mecry:

What? You don't have one?! That is not right.

Hey BB, clear out your PM's.

Status
Not open for further replies.