The Malkoff M61!

Status
Not open for further replies.

seale_navy

Enlightened
yeahh international shipping is crazy..

perhaps the malkoff website could allow like standard airmail instead of using USPS courier service.

and the consumer bear the risk by selecting standard airmail..

dougie

Enlightened
Searle,I understand your point of view and perhaps Gene 'could' offer uninsured postage. However, I suspect that the potential for loss and the ensuing emails to him to ask for help on when he posted the item etc.,etc., would be more hassle than its worth.:shrug: In addition people do tend to bad mouth suppliers if they think or perceive that the item was never sent. I'm sure Gene has taken account of the potential for uninsured post to go astray and considered it too much of a liability. I for one would rather pay the high postage that insured international shipping costs to know that I will get the item I have paid for or get a refund then take a 50/50 gamble on it arriving. Of course YMMV!:twothumbs

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
No. a price is "spot on" when supply and demand are in equilibrium. In the case of Gene's M61, supply and demand are way out of whack.

That is very generous of you, looking out for Gene's interests. I prefer that Gene be the one to come up with that kind of an idea. He will charge what the market will bear. Right now he is spot on with his pricing, from my point of view, and provides wonderful products for the money spent.

Bill

seale_navy

Enlightened
@ dougie: yeah you do have a point that though...

for the UK, the custom take into account the courier charges and add into the declared value and tax us...

so the only way is market place where seller from europe is desirable since no tax within europe..

anyway.. in my opinion on the to the price of M61, I dont get what the fuss about setting a higher price.. for ppl like us in europe, not only that we are burdened by shipping cost... custom charges , and now a higher M61 price...

gosh its gonna cost us a lot for ppl in europe...

Last edited:

thaflash_la

Newly Enlightened
I finally joined these forums after years of lurking to buy one of these awesome drop-ins that always make me jealous. I actually check Malkoff's website a few times a day hoping to see them in stock... turns out they came in stock right around the time that I leave work, I think that's the only time I wished I worked an hour later.

I'm glad to hear that he's working on mass producing them and I can't wait to get my hands on one, I guess I can find a good host in the mean time.

Enlightened
Oh the Malkoff drama. It never ends. For those that followed Gene way back when he started we know patience is a virtue. Remember when he put only a handful out? We were lucky to even see 5 in stock. Heck there wasn't even a notification list! It was really first come, first served. It's just the nature of the beast when it comes to buying something from Gene (until he has mass production going full steam).

And to R.VW, my intentions were not to slight anyone. I was just stating what happened on my end and had really no intentions to rub it in anyone's face. I had notifications go to both of my emails.. I got both emails at the same time. Sorry if it pushed a button. :poke: This is a community I'd hate to see go to shambles because of this situation. It seems like it's happening quite often when it comes to Malkoff products.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeahh international shipping is crazy..

perhaps the malkoff website could allow like standard airmail instead of using USPS courier service.

and the consumer bear the risk by selecting standard airmail..

I've looked into this, and unfortunately it doesn't work for me and probably wouldn't work for most vendors. The problem is that according to the post office staff, until you get to USPS Global Priority Mail, which is very expensive, you can't get insurance and tracking. So you're thinking "have the buyer waive them," but the problem is that most payment methods (like credit cards and PayPal) and US laws place responsibility for the item shipped on the seller/sender until it is actually in the buyer's hands. So, effectively, shipping without insurance and proof of delivery leaves the seller open. Maybe someone knows of another USPS service level that will provide insurance and tracking for international packages - I may have been mis-informed by the counter people at my post office, but that is what I was told.

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re international shipping:

On more than one occasion, I've had an international CPFer purchase a Malkoff and have it mailed to me, which I then mailed to them at cost (no more than $10 for usps first class international). It never hurts to try. Just saying...:whistle:

lovecpflovecpflovecpf:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

R.VanWinkle

Newly Enlightened
021411, Roger your last & very well stated. I got an engraved M60 in the pre-notification days, and a production M60 and M30W by randomly checking in before the boss made me start totin' around that dang Blackberry electronic leash. I actually think I preferred the old way; my big fear now is that since (unlike the other day) I seldom am in a situation to check e-mails when they come in, that I won't read the next "big one" until it is too late. Sure hope to get another chance at a pre-production M61 though; until then will just have to put up with 16340s bouncing around in my bored C2.

Keep yer powder dry, RVW.

NightKids

Enlightened
$35 international shipping does hurt so I think it's good that Gene hasn't raised his prices too!

But i guess i'm getting tracking no. & insurance...

LightJaguar

Enlightened
A fair market value isn't determined by what you, I, or any other individual can afford.

The fair market value is the price at which the property would change hands between a willing buyer and a willing seller, neither being under any compulsion to buy or to sell and both having reasonable knowledge of relevant facts.

I doubt anyone who bought a M61 was being forced to do so.

If Gene increases the price, but still sells every single one of them (and he can), then he makes more profit, and thus can better provide for himself and his family.

This is Econ 101 stuff.

Yea but in this case the "market" and the supply is very small and can be easily manipulated.
In the long term opportunists might hurt Gene's growing market by jacking up the price of his products and turning off potential non CPF buyers if he ever goes large scale.
A lot of people think that Surefire is way too expensive and are turning to other cheaper alternatives. Surefire cancelling some of their products may or may not be one consequence of that.
The one thing that I love about Gene's products is its performance, quality and price. If surefire had come out with something like this I can only imagine what their asking price might be and perhaps wouldn't be as popular.

Dave Keith

Newly Enlightened
I was fortunate to be at the computer when the notification went out and got one (ONLY one!) and it came in the mail this morning.

As usual with Malkoff products, all I can say is Wow! Even in daylight against a white wall it was impressive. I was all excited about a tryout, but as I was hunting the elusive "white wall" my wife came by and saw the bright beam and said, "oooh!"

She is leaving today for a minister's wives retreat and the encampment where it takes place is not all that well lit. Last year she came back from the retreat with a fresh perspective on the flashlight I made her take. Today she was all about which flashlight she would take and could she take an extra for a friend.

All you happily married men know by now that my brand new M61 just left here in a SF6PD till Saturday night. Oh well, I'll get to play Saturday night!

CallMeDave

Newly Enlightened
I just need continue to repeat my mantra:

I shall not buy any light that is not warm.
I shall not buy any light that is not warm.

etc.

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, there have been a whole lot of posts since yesterday evening, but I feel I must respond to this slight from 021411. Up until this point I have enjoyed this forum as a friendly form of relaxation. Although low on posts I have spent a good deal of time lurking and learning. What I said was that within five minutes of receiving e-mail notification on my blackberry I logged onto my computer and the M61s were sold out. This may have been due to a long notification list. This may have been due to the crappy U.S. Gov't. server which I rely on. I was trying to make light of the fact. I in no way meant to offend Mr. Malkoff or his disciples. As a matter of fact I may have lit up enough two-legged varmints with an M60 to count as a disciple. If I had an hour notification I am sure I would have gotten one. As it is I'm signed up on the next list and waiting expectantly.

Hasta, RVW

RVW,

Are you an active LEO that uses his M60 on a daily basis ?

Thanks,

Ray

bullettproof

Enlightened
Got the M61's it has the nicest beam I have ever seen.Beautiful like a Surefire U2A but brighter.Im doing a runtime test on a AW17670 right now.I will report later.

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got the M61's it has the nicest beam I have ever seen.Beautiful like a Surefire U2A but brighter.Im doing a runtime test on a AW17670 right now.I will report later.

My two arrived as well! (and another M60LL)

Gorgeous beams and tints are OK.

Initial impression is that its a Goldilocks Malkoff: the beam profile is somewhere between a standard M60 and M60F. It lacks the prevelant punch of the "spot" of the M60 and has some really nice even flooding...

I had intended on keeping these two and selling off m M60, but, the profiles are so different, I think I will keep an M60 on hand and eventually sell one of the M61s...

Methinks this beam profile will make the M61L a real killer...

miteemike3

Newly Enlightened
Got my M61 as well today. The tint is what I would describe as a creamy white, similar to that of my E2DL... perfect. The beam profiles is just like people have been saying, a prevalent hot spot with lots of usable side spill. In comparing it to my M30, the M30 has a tighter hot spot and throws a bit better with the TIR optic. The M61 is excels in close to medium distances by lighting up a pathway but with a hotspot good enough for lighting things up at a distance, albeit not quite as well as the M30.

Overall for my needs, it's the most usable and practical beam pattern. Absolutely love it :thumbsup: Another plus side is that it does not heat up my 6P bezel like my Nailbender drop-ins did! Heat is not a real problem with this drop in for those that were wondering.

Last edited:

Vesper

Enlightened
No. a price is "spot on" when supply and demand are in equilibrium. In the case of Gene's M61, supply and demand are way out of whack.

But it's also bad pool -leaves a bad taste in your customers mouth- in the retail world to charge double at first then drop way down. Although now that i think about it Apple does this all the time and their fanboys seem to get over it pretty quickly. I'm glad Gene doesn't do this though.

wingnutLP

Enlightened
But it's also bad pool -leaves a bad taste in your customers mouth- in the retail world to charge double at first then drop way down. Although now that i think about it Apple does this all the time and their fanboys seem to get over it pretty quickly. I'm glad Gene doesn't do this though.

It is not just Apple, every new technology costs more at release regardless of the manufacturer. Materials are harder to source and more expensive, production isn't fully tooled up, reject rates are higher due to non perfect manufacturing processes etc...

It isn't gouging the customer, well maybe it is in apple's cas, it is simply a function of manufacturing a cutting edge product.

Status
Not open for further replies.