• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired The Nautilus Flashlight Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
Karl: Only Titanium this time around. (But I promise to remember your name this time! ;) )

matrixshaman: Point taken, though I don't anticipate doing an aluminum run, unfortunately.

cryhavok: No - I considered using higher currents but opted instead for greater runtime and less heat; the Nautilus is a rather small package and made in Titanium; Practicality, inclusive of thermal management, was an important consideration. 107 lumens is a lot of light in and of it's own right - I'm sure you'll agree when you see it in person. :)

jch79: I don't design rechargeable cells - the cause of the short runtime is the extremely low capacity of a rechargeable CR2 battery of only 350mAH, not the flashlight itself. The Nautilus, like the Ion, drains the cells down to nearly bone dry, and regulates to much lower voltages than most other drivers I've ever seen - that's why I use such a design. Direct drive off any battery or only pseudo-regulation might give you longer runtimes, but it won't give you constant light output.

With the runtime you'll be getting on the Nautilus battery changes will be few and far between when using primary cells - a pack of 10 cells would likely last me over a year. Of course, your mileage may vary according to usage!

That said, the light will run off RCR123s. As I always, I don't recommend their use because of the dangers inherent with rechargeable lithium technology - there have been several documented incidents here at the CPF of batteries exploding and causing a good bit of damage to property and people. Is the light physically capable of using the cells? Yes - it'll function the same way the Ion did, low mode being brighter using the cells than off primaries. Is it recommended to use those cells? No.

Charles: DM51's response was pretty much spot on - the beam is very smooth and the reflector has a light orange peel texture to ensure that; The pictures show the beams of all the lights accurately.

Take care folks!

-Enrique

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh I like Titanium Enrique, I just missed reading your initial post with as much care as I should have the first time. I have two of your Al-Bronze CR2 Ions and love 'em. Think this one will fit right in with the crew.

Karl

charlesn

Enlightened
You say you have a 'Ti Ion XR-E' - was this one of Enrique's XR-E versions, or was it an original CR2 Ion modded to XR-E by someone else?

It was Enrique's version, and if you read through the message boards, you'll see that beam artifacts were an issue for a number of buyers--tough to tame the XR-E emitter, I guess, with the small smooth reflector.

I am amazed at how much brighter the Nautilus looks compared to the CR2 Ion XT - I have been carrying one non-stop for ~8 months now as my keychain light and it is VERY bright. This Nautilus beam looks exceptional.

I'm amazed, too, because, as you state, the XT is a very bright light unto itself. In fact, the Nautilus is SO much brighter, that I thought the beamshots had to be a comparison with the original Ion. I've never seen an XT look so dim!

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see that someone has been busy! :eek:oo:

Enrique, Email from the "Kenster" will be on it`s way shortly since I guess you could say.... I`m interested! :twothumbs

Ken :grin2:

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Enrique :D

Excellent...........flood, Ti,pocket carry,CR123!

E-mail sent.

Use my orig CR2 ION Ti for reading and the Ti Ion XT for pocket carry.

Good Luck with your "Endeavour" :poke:

jeffb

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jeff: Thanks for the kind words and I'm glad to hear the Ions are getting some use. :D

Rudi: I have shortened the turning distance some, but still kept the two modes separated enough to prevent unintentional activation from one mode into the other.

Patriot36: Same answer I gave cryhavok - "No - I considered using higher currents but opted instead for greater runtime and less heat; the Nautilus is a rather small package and made in Titanium; Practicality, inclusive of thermal management, was an important consideration. 107 lumens is a lot of light in and of it's own right - I'm sure you'll agree when you see it in person." :)

Reptiles: Yes, you can see the center piece of the light some when the head is fully tightened down.

I'll keep you all posted as the project rolls forward! :grin2:

-Enrique

greenLED

Flashaholic
Improvements over the CR2 Ion have been made in terms of thermal transfer, electrical conductivity, mechanics, and circuitry. All boards inside the flashlight are gold plated for the best possible performance, and the two-stage switching mechanism has been redesigned and is also gold plated for maximum conductivity.

Very nice, Endeavour. Are you using a threaded "can" now? That, and improving the reliability of the 2-stage pogo would greatly increase the reliability of your old design.

Secur1

Enlightened
I know you said that the Nautilus follows a different path to the Ion. But is there any chance you could offer the Nautilus with an alternative/extra reflector, as an option, giving it a nice floody beam like the one on the Ion ?

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
Secur1: I have run the Nautilus without a reflector, which gives a beam that is 100% flood. It's not optimized to do that as the intention with this light was to provide a long-distance beam, but it does work.

iocheretany: It's smaller than the HDS series of lights and most any other flashlight out there that's currently available. I have no side-by-side comparison shots, but the Nautilus fits loosely inside the inner diameter of the bezel ring of the light, if that helps give you a better idea. Height wise it's also shorter by roughly one inch.

-Enrique

AzGB

Enlightened
Something tells me that it's about the size of a Fenix P1D. Seems to be about as small as you can make a 123 based light...

Status
Not open for further replies.