• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired The Nautilus Flashlight Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Secur1

Enlightened
Secur1: I have run the Nautilus without a reflector, which gives a beam that is 100% flood. It's not optimized to do that as the intention with this light was to provide a long-distance beam, but it does work.

So how about an extra optic then ? :p

Also any hints on the price of an upcoming aluminum one ? (as i can't afford titanium...)

Last edited:

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw this thread but I never looked at it and when I did, WOW. I have been wanting a ultra high quality light from Titanium that runs on 123's and is waterproof while being tiny.

Light found and email sent.

Great job!

I would love to view some size comparison photos.

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
Secur1: At present I personally will only be offering the Nautilus in Titanium. We'll have to see what else the future holds for anything outside of that. I'm not sure what you mean by an extra optic? A different reflector, or..?

Goat: Thanks for the kind words! :)

The parts made it onto the machines over the weekend and everything is moving right along nicely. :grin2: I should have shots of the chips flying a little later this week.

I'll keep you all posted!

-Enrique

Secur1

Enlightened
Secur1: At present I personally will only be offering the Nautilus in Titanium. We'll have to see what else the future holds for anything outside of that. I'm not sure what you mean by an extra optic? A different reflector, or..?

Anything that will make the beam nice and floody :D

Anyway, i'll stop pestering you for now :p Plz keep me in mind if you decide to make an Al run :)

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy Folks,

As noted a few days back the parts have made it onto the machines and good progress is being made, here are a few pictures to hold you over for the next few days. :)

1443962148_24dc28fe9d.jpg

The case

1443100967_f025005628.jpg

Center Piece Threading

1443101237_561c939cd3.jpg

A few Centers

It'll be nice to get these done soon! :grin2:

-Enrique

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
That said, the light will run off RCR123s. As I always, I don't recommend their use because of the dangers inherent with rechargeable lithium technology - there have been several documented incidents here at the CPF of batteries exploding and causing a good bit of damage to property and people.

Would you please so kindly pointing out these incidents.
I'm aware of incidents by using primary cells in flashlights, but don't know any case of exploded "protected Lithium-Ion-rechargeable" while using.

I'm aware of the risks while charging LIR's and the special risks of unprotected cells, also connected in series, but......perhaps I have oversighted some incidents.

My question simply shall point out things and has nothing to do with your preferences, which I have to accept.

Thank you very much and best regards

____
Tom

Rudi

Enlightened
How will these be offered?
Hopefully there will be a list of those who requested one so that we know who is in and who is on standby?
Or will it be first-come-first-served when the lights are ready, McGizmo style?

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
Long John: I made a mistake in my wording, you are correct that most problems with the cells have come from primary CR123s being run two in series inside flashlights. Notwithstanding the strong recommendation against using rechargeable cells, particularly unprotected ones, in the Nautilus or in any other flashlight remains.

Rudi: I will contact everyone who I have received an e-mail from prior to the release of the light to allow those folks some priority, after that it'll be first come, first served.

-Enrique

easilyled

Flashaholic
You have quoted the lumens output as 107 minimum from the led which
is what a Q5-bin is rated at (at 350ma).

Have you measured the actual lumens output though?

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
cryhavok: I do not have a lux meter and am not a proponent of measurements using them; too many times in the past of the CPF people have abused the measurements obtained using them that it really doesn't form a clear picture of what the beam is exactly in comparison to any other light. Perhaps someone who receives one of the lights will have one and can take measurements for you.

easilyled: No. I don't own an integrating sphere, which cost several thousands of dollars, and the best I can give you is the output from the LED.

The centers and modules have been completed and assembly of the LED and electronics will begin in short order. It's looking as though everything should be done and ready within the next two weeks or so. :grin2:

I'll keep you all posted.

-Enrique

GBone

Newly Enlightened
Count me in... email sent!!

I have a quick question... Is it possible to make the body a bit smoother than the CR2 Ion? I will be carrying the light in my pocket, it lays against my wallet, and the Ion has made a bit of a mess of the leather. Just curious...

I have been searching for the "perfect pocket light" as a backup to my EDC, finally I have found it... the Nautilus!!

Can't wait!

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
GBone,

Comparing my aluminum prototype Nautilus to the CR2 Ion, the Nautilus feels somewhat smoother. However, whether or not it's smooth enough not to damage leather after frequent use, I don't know. It certainly is still defined enough to perform its primary function of providing a good grip on the flashlight.

Thanks for the kind words. :)

-Enrique

charlesn

Enlightened
Enrique, while I appreciate your artistic photos of the Nautilus, I'd like to see some that are more straight-forward, putting the Nautilus side-by-side with some other well-known lights you may own, which would give us a better sense of the Nautilus's size. You did do this with the Ion, but the angle of the shot and the wide-angle lens distorts the size of both lights, to a degree that makes the comparison kind of moot for me. Really looking forward to the completion of this light... you did get my email a while ago, right?

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Folks,

The Nautilus project is well on its way and the lights are close to being completed. The light engines are in the assembly phase and will be done by week's end. The machining on the cases is completed, and the bezels are in their final stages of operations. I don't have a specific date, but the Nautilus should be shipping sometime around late October. :grin2:

I have sent a few of the prototypes out for evaluation and I'm hoping the people who received them will chime in at some point with their thoughts after they've had a few days to test the Nautilus. :)

charlesn: Yep, I did receive an e-mail from you to reserve a spot on the list! I'll see what I can do for you with different comparison shots - I don't have many lights that have been made recently, but I've got a few 123 based ones that you should be familiar with.

I'll keep you all posted as things make their way through the last leg of their journey from raw materials to becoming flashlights. :D

Take care folks!

-Enrique

Status
Not open for further replies.