The new Arc-LS

Status
Not open for further replies.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is too true.
The LS while it was a good product the two finished parts almost never matched. and when they did the often had streaks and were imperfect. IMHO there is no need for imperfect finishes.

I also agree thet a product which reaches the market as a completly tested and with all of the problems flushed out if preferable.
That said it is difficult to maintain a technological leed if the technology passes you by.
Lets say that Peter chooses an emitter today and designs his driver around that emitter.
Now assume it takes three months to bring the light to market. or six or twelve. By the time the light comes out the emitter is just about three rungs down the ladder from where it started.
It is a tough game,
I am preetty sure that Peter has focused his energy on a turnkey BOD and head design by Don. That allows him to focus completly on the emitter driver package.
One can hope that when the light does make it that two several things happen.
It is not too expensive.
It is not obsolete.
It is bug free.
There is still a market.
Lets hope the finish used is as good as the rest of the light.
Lets hope the light is a good candidate for EDC..It's onl chance of success IMHO.
Yaesumofo.
PS
Het peter what's up with your AAA UV light. Can you please make a post in the thread?

The old LS was far from perfect in fit and finish. We shall not forget this. If you are after cosmetics the new LS might not be a light for you I would guess. Function it is.

I prefer a solid product in a few months over a quickly released problem plagued product now, too. There is an abundance of choices now. We aren't exactly starving for more lights. But if there is a new light, it'd better be a good light.

bernie

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
This question has come up before. Some people are wondering if the LS is taking longer than it should and if this perceived extra time will cause the light to be dated once it is released. I have already answered this question in the previous thread. So either people have not read my answer, or they don't agree. For those who don't agree, I have yet to see a good reason why. I do appreciate the emotions involved, and I sympathize, but I also expect a logical response as well.

Simply trying to pester me into hurrying up doesn't work. I have my own motivation and is more than sufficient. The longest lead time item is the machining. I have taken prudent steps to reduce delays in that area. I move each segment forward with minimal delay on my part. We are spending extra cash to reduce delays. But the whole process takes time. And that amount of time is normal for this type of setup.

The reason it may appear to be taking longer than some may expect is that they know about the existence of the project but lack sufficient understanding of the steps required. Sure, there are examples of projects taking less time, but there are differences. Do you know what those are?

Forget that I am working on a new flashlight. If you have to get mad at me to forget, then there may be some utility in getting mad. Pretend that I told you that the grapes are probably sour, you can get better grapes somewhere else and you probably don't want grapes anyways. You'll will go elsewhere, spend more money for a fix and I will continue on my work.

I have avoided posting updates as often because, among other reasons, it might appear to tease. I don't like teases. What are you offering, when can I get it. Right now I am offering information and you can get it now. There is not a lot of information, but I told you this up front. I have taken steps to be upfront about what type of exchange this is.

Any rate, you get the idea. Read at your own frustration. I might post an update later.

peter

Daekar

Enlightened
:dedhorse:
I think we need to stop bugging him, guys. He'll give us information when he's ready. One reason why it's taking so long (as he's already said, if I remember correctly) is that he wants to be done RIGHT, just like the Arc AAA was. I seem to remember a mention of the robustness and efficiency AND versatility of the driver as well - if it's designed well initially, it will be usable for longer and in more ways - and for more than one kind of emitter over time, if necessary. <---- THIS IS A GOOD THING TO WAIT FOR. I'm just as anxious as you all are to get a new Arc for my EDC light, but we need to lay off for a while...

SunnyQueensland

Enlightened
I don't see what everyones problem is anyway? Its not like there isn't plenty of other flashlights to keep us amused till its released. Otherwise it gives us all the opportunity to save our precious pennies. Sounds to me like Peter is getting fed up with being hassled.

My 2 cents.

:twothumbs

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a shame you can't tease us without racking up annoyances. I would love to hear some ongoing details and such and wouldn't pester you without putting smiley at the end of the sentence ;) I am looking forward to seeing the light that comes out the end of this process, but it's not like it's the new artificial heart that if I don't get it next week I'm going to die. I'm at least as interested in the process as I am in the end product.

So you guys are ruining it for me as Peter wont share the ongoing details anymore! So cut it out.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, more information about the development is what made the long wait for the original LS easier to bare for the average CPF'er. The original LS was announced before we even had a finished design (it was originally going to use a cluster of 5mm LEDs)! We dialogued through the selection process of various parts, prototypes, etc. Now with more competitors reading the forums, details are more limited. I also didn't announce the project until it was further along. Even so, there are long periods of time with very little information. That has to be frustrating.

peter

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, here's another low detail update:

The light is in early stages of production. Machining is now the longest lead time item. I knew this was going to be the biggest time consumer during the production before we even started. I learned this lesson with previous products. That's why we started the machining as soon as we thought we were reasonably sure of the mechanical design. Another decision I made to speed things up was not to use our own CNC machines for the first production run (we have 3 full size cnc machines). Instead, we are paying a significant amount more to have the parts machined with an external contractor in the hope this gets us parts more quickly. One of the reasons the contractor is supposed to be quicker is the fact that they are same contractor that makes the PD parts for McGizmo. Read earlier posts on why this relevant. Therefore, they already have the experience, some of the programs only need to be modified and many of the tools are identical. These factors combined should save time.

However, there are delays. Rather than skip straight to production quantities, we paid extra to get a first article and have production held while that first article was tested. This turned out to be a good idea because I ended up having to reject the first article for several reasons. I am now working with McGizmo and the shop on resolving the problems. Part of the delay is I have to build these parts into a working flashlight to test them completely. this includes waiting for the parts to be anodized, etc. It is a pain in the backside but there isn't any way around it. The problem could have caused units to not switch correctly in the field. They may be fine after all, but they must be tested to verify this. If they test fine, then this might seem like I was being overly picky. If they test bad, then I might look smart for taking the time.

Any rate, the first articles are at the plater being anodized. Next up is to build them into a working flashlight and then to test, test, test. Out of this testing may come revised drawings, etc. I don't know yet.

Meanwhile, the software development is continueing. The latest build now has features implimented like the settings menu, different levels, etc. I have taken several units camping and also edc each of the test units and I am pleased with the operation. We currently are working on some safety routines (temp/batt protection). After that, we have the calibration routines and then the code will be pretty much up to the production level feature set. After that, there will be fine tuning of the various timings, power levels, etc to produce a polished result.

Like I said before (you really should read my earlier posts), the interface is easier to use than the Arc4 UI. I also said before that the PC interface is not included in this rev. The new menu system has been implimented and tuned and I like the finished result. I have let flashlight newbies try it and I have observed how they use it.

I still have some time before I have to pick an LED for production. The choices have been narrowed down to the latest P4 and the K2 TF. If you know of something more powerful, let me know. If I time this right, there should be no reason why this light doesn't have the hottest LED available at the time is ships.

No idea yet what the final lumen, run time, cost, ship date, etc will be. sorry, too soon for me to know for certain on those things.

peter

Last edited:

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Super update, Peter! :bow:

Quality is worth waiting for...

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe after I've put the mechanicals to bed (a printing term), I'll start a new thread with all the details posted in the first post where it is easy to get to. I admit that so far, there has been some value in having things hard to get to. It tends to filter out the less dedicated. :)

Also, I having the website updated this week so you will see a placeholder page for the LS on the site. Hopefully this doesn't wig anyone out.

peter

mspeterson

Enlightened
EXTRA!....NEW LS SET TO SHIP!

OMG!!! The new LS is up on the site already, that means it's ready to ship!!!!!

:paypal::paypal::paypal:

Can I get mine in fuscia HA3 with eleven black trits, side-by-side 18650 tube, 7AAAA tube, D tube, and a side of ranch!!!!!

:devil: :nana: :poke: :crackup:

Sorry.......

:shrug: :(

Joking aside, I'm with James S on this one. This is an excellent voyage with the certanty of great reward at the end; no need to rush things. Sometimes you just have to ignore the children and stare out the window at the beautiful scenery......:tinfoil:

Thanks for the updates, Peter!
Keep up the GREAT work!!!

:popcorn:

jcompton

Enlightened
Also, I having the website updated this week so you will see a placeholder page for the LS on the site. Hopefully this doesn't wig anyone out.

peter

"Placeholder page" as in a page that will be dedicated to the New LS or as in a page where you allow individuals to sign up on a list to purchase the New LS and their place in line to purchase will be held?

Stillphoto

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Placeholder page" as in a page that will be dedicated to the New LS or as in a page where you allow individuals to sign up on a list to purchase the New LS and their place in line to purchase will be held?

Placeholder page: A temporary page on a website. Usually put up while the actual page is being worked on / developed. In this case, the plain page that will eventually be the arc ls page.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: EXTRA!....NEW LS SET TO SHIP!

stare out the window at the beautiful scenery......:tinfoil:

...and if you want to stare at the beautiful scenery in the dark, you're going to need some kind of torch to help you. My preference would be a brand spankin' new ARC, hot off the press and squeaky new from those chaps in Arizona...

...Like Steve Mcqueen in 'Papillion' - I find the long wait only sweetens the resolve and eventual pay off....tantric torches anyone??

Happy testing Mr Gransee!! :thumbsup:

Be lucky...

Status
Not open for further replies.