The newest guy here...Surefire ?

Limey Johnson

Newly Enlightened
Ok...so I've lurked here a bit after finding this place while searching for some info on a SureFire 6PL that I bought.

I wasn't sure I wanted to start a "collection" of these things, but, what the heck...they're cool enough, and I do like flashlights!

I have some mods for my 6PL planned...actually, truth be told, I have a NEW 6PL with mods planned so I can keep my first one stock. It looks as though a Q5 drop-in is in my near future.

But first, a question regarding the 6PL...it is o-ringed averywhere, and while the site mentions "weatherproof", I am curious if these things are submersible. Anyone with experience with using these underwater?

Thanks!

Last edited:

dougie

Enlightened
Supposedly 'most' Surefires are supposed to be able to be submersed to 9' without water ingress. However, as Surefire doesn't market their lights as dive lights I personally wouldn't want to chance it. My concern is that any light of mine, Surefire or or not, is able to withstand a dunking in a puddle and torrential rain irrespective of how long it's used. In this respect Surefire is (provided the O rings ar lubed correctly) 100% water resistant.

D-

Lightingguy321

Enlightened
Surefire Rates their lights to 33 feet/ 1 atmosphere depth unless other wise stated. Also, I just recently noticed in the back of the 2007 catalog it mentions that if you need a dive light, contact surefire for further information because they sell some specific models that are shipped out to navy seals (means that most definitly can be used as dive lights). Other wise I think it would be safe to assume that the 6PL has a rating of 33 feet/ 1 atmosphere (or 10 meters). However, before you click buy, you might want to check with surefire, (call them, emailing them usually takes a long time for a response)

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok...so I've lurked here a bit after finding this place while searching for some info on a SureFire 6PL that I bought.

I wasn't sure I wanted to start a "collection" of things, but, what the heck...they're cool enough, and I do like flashlights!

I have some mods for my 6PL planned...actually, truth be told, I have a NEW 6PL with mods planned so I can keep my first one stock. It looks as though a Q5 drop-in is in my near future.

But first, a question regarding the 6PL...it is o-ringed averywhere, and while the site mentions "weatherproof", I am curious if these things are submersible. Anyone with experience with using these underwater?

Thanks!

:welcome:

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
IIRC, Surefire used to offer the 6pn, which the exact same light as the 6p, except it was pressure tested, rated and cost more.

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
IIRC, Surefire used to offer the 6pn, which the exact same light as the 6p, except it was pressure tested, rated and cost more.

As far as I'm aware you can still order a 6PN. It is not on their website, so you'll need to call them to place an order.

Regards,
Tempest

cfromc

Enlightened
Doesn't the 6PN have two o-rings for the tailcap end of the body? I've put the second o-ring on all my Surefires. They are only about 30 cents each.

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doesn't the 6PN have two o-rings for the tailcap end of the body? I've put the second o-ring on all my Surefires. They are only about 30 cents each.

Only one o-ring, same as a standard 6P. The only difference is that SureFire have individually tested and rated the 6PN to be waterproof to a depth of 33m.

Keep in mind that removing the bezel or tailcap of a 6PN will void the rating. You will have to send it in to SureFire to replace the batteries and keep the rating.

Regards,
Tempest

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keep in mind that removing the bezel or tailcap of a 6PN will void the rating. You will have to send it in to SureFire to replace the batteries and keep the rating.

Wow, thats not very practical. Sounds like its better to use the SF above water and get a real diving light for water. Many of the UKs, Pelicans, etc. are rated for 500 feet...

cv3po

Banned
Can the switch be operated while submerged tho? I've always thought that they could be taken down either off or on but you that you could not operate the switch underwater. Maybe only the twist for constant on?