The Official Zebralight Thread .

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
From a product priced higher-than-average I do expect higher-than-average quality.
The number of issues with new ZLs we've all seen here in recent years unfortunately shows that's not the case (anymore?).
I've only experienced small issues like I stated above and I've owned many zebralights. I've also experienced issues with some high end brands

I will agree that Zebralights CS and products need to be improved. I never had to send a Zebralight back for warranty repair or anything so I can't comment on that process

I will say that anytime I had emailed them about a question they responded back every time

I wish one of their members were part of CPF or any flashlight community so they know what's going on with user experiences and issues some people have

iacchus

Enlightened
My take with Zebralight, the lack of CS and some issues people experience does not steer me away at all from their products. I've owned many high end made in USA lights that are 3-4 times the price and the Zebralight always finds its way back in my pocket. I rotate it with my HDS Executive. Pair an SC64/65 or SC600 with an 18650 Zebralight headlamp of theirs and you got yourself a perfect combo that will have extremely long runtimes. They could easily sell their lights for a lot more $ and people would still buy them, but I'm glad they are priced accordingly.
Completely agree with you. I generally only carry US made lights. I might pick up an offshore one here or there if it catches my eye, maybe try a new emitter I haven't seen elsewhere, but they don't get carried and often get given away after I check 'em out a bit. Not a patriotic thing really, the US stuff I carry is often just made better (and yeah, you pay extra for that). But I live in the swamp in hurricane Alley. I have to trust my lights like a tool.

Two brands are exceptions though. Reylight makes some really well thought out small lights with absolutely gorgeous beams. I own and carry several. The mini pineapple and LAN have served me well. They make good date night in a pair of slacks lights.

And Zebralight. I've got an SC63w I bought 8 years ago that never once gave me a single problem and is built tough. I've used the hell out of that light for years and it's never let me down.

Recently I picked up a headlight from them that does exactly what I want and I've got the SC700 Hi sitting in my PO Box right now waiting to be retrieved. Maybe not bombproof lights on the scale of some others, but can certainly take a licking, at least the ones I've used. I have no issue carrying them amongst HDS, Malk, torchlab, etc. For me, they earned it. Price point is quite fair for what you get.
Sure, that could change at any time. I didn't like seeing some of the boards from the 65 come out missing components, and I've heard a couple other small things that have bothered me, but I still don't know much that fills a niche like they do. Foursevens would probably be the closest. And I don't have anything against them either.

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will pick up the sc700d HI when I see it's in stock. I just like knowing exactly when my packages will ship and arrive. Just a personal thing

Zebralight is a light that will do it all. I haven't found a light that comes close to what the features ZL offers. The price is also what keeps me a solid purchaser

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pretty much the only 3 lights I will ever need. I've bought and sold so many lights over the years that these are the ones I always come back to
IMG_0280.jpeg

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Electronic switches is what really catches my attention. They are quiet when I'm using them in the mornings or late at night when rest of my family is sleeping. I love Malkoff but that McClicky switch is very loud and tingy and I had woken my wife up because of it haha. Waiting on Malkoff to release some new lights

iacchus

Enlightened
I will pick up the sc700d HI when I see it's in stock. I just like knowing exactly when my packages will ship and arrive. Just a personal thing

Zebralight is a light that will do it all. I haven't found a light that comes close to what the features ZL offers. The price is also what keeps me a solid purchaser
They get some hates for the looks, but form truly follows function there, and their ano is great stuff. It holds up like a champ.
Size vs capacity I simply don't know of another brand that pulls off what they do.
20240203_091440.jpg

Thats beside my favorite 10440 light. It's wild how small they can get them. Thats the whole reason I picked up the SC700. I want to see what they can do for a 21700.

Everybody seems to hate the UI, but after using one for as long as I have I kinda adore it now.

Electronic switches is what really catches my attention. They are quiet when I'm using them in the mornings or late at night when rest of my family is sleeping. I love Malkoff but that McClicky switch is very loud and tingy and I had woken my wife up because of it haha. Waiting on Malkoff to release some new lights
This is why for years that ZL was my bedstand light, only being dethroned by an Oveready BOSS w/ the MOFF switch. That one had the added benefit of red aux along w/ a quiet switch.

I finally boarded the MDC train this week, picked up a couple of the 3.7-9v heads, a dedomed 519a and the XP-L neutral. 14500 and 16650 bodies. If I like them as much as I think I will I'll pick up the lower voltage CR123a package.
I always filled my larger slots w/ Malkoff. MD2s, Surefires w/ M60 heads, and the MD4 Hound Dog and Wildcat. The more pocketable lights appealed to me less, but the emitters he's using now and the upped output pushed me over the edge.

iacchus

Enlightened
I did have to contact ZL CS recently. Not because there was something wrong w/ a light, but because my headlamp was seized by the USPS for having counterfeit postage.
Apparently it was a Stamps.com problem, was eventually resolved and the post released my light. But, I did have a weeklong back and forth w/ the CS over there and it was fine. They were pleasantly communicative.
Not the most useful data point, but they did respond every time w/in 24hrs and were helpful.

Now, compared to the times I needed to contact HDS and Malkoff CS (both my fault), well, I picked up the phone and called and talked to Henry and Gene. I got some light ribbing from both for being dumb and then they fixed my problem, chatted for a bit and that was that.
This is another reason I tend to buy US lights, even if it does cost a bit more.

Booyakasha

Newly Enlightened
I have two zebras SC65 HI and one of them has a weird issue where the output starts dropping from the moment I turn it on (H1) and it settles a notch under H2.

I'll think twice before buying a zebralight again.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting conversation here.
If you will: About 10 years ago I received a recent release SC62d with a flickering low mode; sent it back and received a new one after some weeks. Bought 2 more of that model over the years, eventually they all wore out but they did get used extensively. I sent one back and received it repaired but it has an occasional complete disruption of function, making it not acceptable for field use. Tried different batteries under different ambient temperatures and switch clicking methods but simply can't get it to fail predictably. Thinking it will not exhibit malfunction within the timeframe of a tech examining it at the factory in China so…

iacchus

Enlightened
I have two zebras SC65 HI and one of them has a weird issue where the output starts dropping from the moment I turn it on H1 and it settles a notch under H2.

was the one that has an issue from the initial batch of lights? Those had some board components missing apparently. It effected the efficiency of the driver. Later batches had the issue fixed.

I do not like the fact that this wasn't made officially public at all.

sim1tti

Newly Enlightened
Aren't the Nichia models generally known for reduced runtime and output drop-offs? Thought that was part of the compromise of getting such a nice tint and temperature. ZL doesn't even post those stats for their Nichia lights and most people seem fine with the omissions.

I personally don't know if the exchange is worth it for many practical applications, but Nichias do put off some very pretty light!

Booyakasha

Newly Enlightened
was the one that has an issue from the initial batch of lights? Those had some board components missing apparently. It effected the efficiency of the driver. Later batches had the issue fixed.

I do not like the fact that this wasn't made officially public at all.
I don't think so. I ordered it about a month or so after the first one (which works properly).

Last edited:

AstroTurf

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two zebras SC65 HI and one of them has a weird issue where the output starts dropping from the moment I turn it on (H1) and it settles a notch under H2.

i think a complete reset of the pid and g5 g6 and g7 are due first, before you throw the brand under the bus.

imo...