The P-rocket XM-L

Rikr

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone have one of these from shining beam ?
P-Rocket XM-L 850+ Lumens Compact LED Flashlight
Thanks

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Curious... why is one spec'd at 500L and the other at 850L ?

They actually recommend this setup for 2xCR123 (6V)? Seems like it would be at risk of overheating the 7135 ICs, with a Vf as low as it is for the XML.

Last edited:

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Curious... why is one spec'd at 500L and the other at 850L ?

They actually recommend this setup for 2xCR123 (6V)? Seems like it would be at risk of overheating the 7135 ICs, with a Vf as low as it is for the XML.

Where? It says not to run for over 15 minutes. I wouldn't run it more than 5 on fresh cr123s.

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like to see a review or two for these. I might pick one up as a bike light, but my S-Mini's been rock solid in that spot. Any idea on runtimes with either one?

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking at this light as well, and would be interested in hearing about it from someone who has one.

flashmenow

Newly Enlightened
Hi all. I have a P-Rocket in the SST-50 Release. I was interested in this light as well. I had sent off a email to Byron of shiningbeam about the difference in the LM output. It is indeed the driver . Here was his response, stating I could post it up for all.
Hi Glenn,
The difference between the 500 and 850 lumen's is the driver. For those who likes to use 2 x CR123A primary, the 500 lumens is a better choice because there is no heat problem when running on high mode continuously. If you plan to use 18650, then the 850 lumens one is more ideal.

In addition I asked about the size difference compared to the first run of the P-Rocket as well as a possible availability of a smooth reflector :

This new one is just shorter by 6mm, and the tail end is also a little bit smaller. I don't have the SST-50 anymore, all sold out. But the R5 version is similar to the old SST-50 version.
P-rocket XM-L is built for flood, it has decent throw, but it is not a thrower. No smooth reflector planned.

The SSt-50 in hand is a very rugged light. I am contemplating picking up the XM-L release.

Last edited:

joe1512

Enlightened
Depends on what your use-case is. If you have 18650 batteries already and don't have a Big Light, then it might be a perfectly good choice for a floody light.

If you are wanting a thrower though then maybe not. Or you might prefer a 2xAA Neutron 2C which uses normal batteries if you dont have 18650+charger already.

recDNA

Flashaholic
So is it worth getting?????

We need some people to buy one and tell us! I already have a couple of solarforce xm-l drop ins and a manafont drop in that go in L2p's and seem very comparable. I would.need a reason to prefer th p-rocket over my L2p setups.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
No guts no glory! (J/k)
I have the N-W SST-50, and after 10 minutes of tailstanding with 18650, the body is hot. That is 8 or so watts of reject heat.
The xm-l has a lower Vf at 2.8 amps drive (sst-50 is lower on low/medium), so that is EVEN more heat to dissipate, something like 10 or better.
The PTC(s) is probably going to come into play, so there probably isn't an issue. If anything that might help out with this driver.

The 60/440/1400 version '500+' probably has no problem dissipating the heat, which should be roughly half.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I just really want to know if the output of the p-rocket with 18650 after 5 min is better than the output of my L2p with Manafont drop in wrapped in copper foil after 5 min. If the p-rocket dissipates heat significantly better it should have more output after 5 minutes. I'm sure the Manafont would beat it for the first 30 seconds but I'm more interested in which does best at the 5 min mark and maybe the 10 min mark. I never go over 10 min in max mode.

Sparky's Magic

Enlightened
I have the new 530 Lu. version of the P-Rocket and have had it tail-stand for about 45min. with an AW18650 where the light got to comfortably warm, certainly not hot!

This is a great light, beautiful beam with absolutely no rubbish - An intense very large hot-spot and a very smooth,even transition to lots of useful spill.

I like this light a lot: I was a bit 'spooked' by the 2.8A version so, I too am looking forward to a review. I'm pretty sure I made the right decision as the 1.4A version has a ton of light; maybe 400 real Lumens OTF. and with a medium OP reflector throws surprisingly well and the huge hot-spot really lights up a big area. :party:

thei

Newly Enlightened
I would also love to see a review. I am also curious what the lumen ratings of the medium and low settings are? And what runtimes do people get from an 18650 in it?

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will the 1.4 and 2.8 versions give full output with 1x18650? Or do you need to use 2xCR123 for full output?

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Will the 1.4 and 2.8 versions give full output with 1x18650? Or do you need to use 2xCR123 for full output?

If its the 7135 IC driver board (which I suspect it is) then it will be FULL output with 1x18650 cell, provided the cells can provide sufficient current.