The Sarah Connor Chronicles: Fox TV series

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
No offense to js or anyone, I know many liked the show, but it just didn't bode well for me. I will respectfully disagree, and I saw the show - didn't like it.

Please keep in mind this is coming from a hardcore Terminator fan.

I know this is an alternate universe, but come on. Not only are there plot deviations and inconsistencies, but some things just didn't make sense. For example, in episode 2 where the rouge terminator is looking for Sarah and John, the body was operating independent of the head.:wtf: Correct me if I'm wrong, but the CPU is in the head. The "eye lights" in the head also lit up independent of any power source.:thumbsdow Also, the CalTrans worker picked up the skull as if it had the mass of a soda can. T-800's weigh +400 lbs., that thing had to weigh at least 25-50 lbs.:oops:

When I first saw Sarah and John Connor, I had to do a double take. For one, Sarah has blond hair, not dark hair. At the end of Terminator and throughout Terminator 2, they were dressed raggedy/rugged; Sarah never wore any make-up. In T2 John had the rebellious teen look, but definitely not the EMO looks and Dawson's Crack behavior. "ok mom, I'll stay home!":sick2: (I can already hear the Paula Cole song, doo doo, doo doo doo!) I guarantee you, if you dubbed the audio over an entire episode with "I Don't Want to Wait", you'd be hard pressed to tell whether you're watching 7th Heaven or Gilmore Girls (with more action and gore). I do, however, admit the facial similarity between Lena Headey and Linda Hamilton was close.

They just didn't come off looking like they're "on the run", but looked more like they were heading for the next JCPenny's catalog shoot.:ohgeez: No pun intended, but their outfits just didn't fit the bill.

I know they took a stab at producing a female terminator, but this was... well... :sigh:. Correct me if I'm wrong, but one of the things that made Arnold's character the terminator, was the cold, monotonous tone in his speech (even as the good guy). Cameron's (homage to Jim?) tone was all over the place, and as a result ended up sounding like a typical "person" would. It was just way she spoke and acted overall.:mecry: She came off as an angsty, ticked off teenager- and oh, by the way, she's a terminator too.:laughing::ohgeez:

Yes, I know terminators have the ability to adapt to their surrounding, but this portrayal was definitely less than convincing. I don't think Summer Glau is a bad actor, quite the contrary; it probably has more to do with the direction of the producers and writers. Argh.

Yes, I think this could've been done right. Was it? No, not even close.:ironic: I had high hopes for this series, seeing how this franchise was started by Jim Cameron and crew. Yes, the show had a few plot twists and surprises; but the plot holes were mostly covered by the explosions, cliffhangers and special effects. We already have enough of these shows, and we could definitely use a fresh start. This just wasn't one of them.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate this show entirely. It would be interesting to see a relationship with Cameron and John!:twothumbs If it is possible, what would Sarah's reaction be? She already has doubts about her. To stretch it out a bit, is it possible for Cameron to become pregnant and have kids? She does have living human tissue, after all (if they stick to the original storyline). If so that would be a cool plot twist.:eek:oo:

Dudemar

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for your post, Dudemar.

I too wondered about the body-only terminator acting on its own. And also about the guy just picking up the head as if it were a soda can! Really sketchy and ill-advised stuff. But as I've mentioned before, this sort of realism isn't my top priority. Still . . . I agree with you.

As for them being on the run but not looking the part--well, actually they WEREN'T on the run, if you remember. They had been in one place for quite some time (2 years, was it?).

As for Cameron's tone, I understand what you're saying, but I think they may explain this. There may be something to it. Or there may not.

But as for characterization (apart from physical looks of the people "matching") they seemed pretty good to me. It's got a heartbeat. It's telling a story. For now, that's more than enough for me. But, yes, if instead of clearing up inconsistencies and apparent contradicitions, they just keep them or even multiply them, it'll start to bother me, and eventually ruin it for me.

As for plot holes and inconsistencies being covered up by explosions or action scenes, I respectfully, but completely, disagree. Could you maybe give one or two examples of exactly where this happened?

Overall, I think this has been done right so far, and it may keep it up and thus improve as the story unfolds. I wasn't invested in this at all, either. I was pleasantly surprised.

Just my take on things, though! And my criteria are definitely different than most peoples. For example, you seemed to maybe make a negative comment about Gilmore Girls, and that's one of my favorite shows! (Although, I do recognize that a comparison from one genre to another can be negative even if the thing compared to is good--perhaps the case here?)

And I took absolutely no offense to your post. On the contrary, it's fun to talk about this stuff! That's why I started this thread--not just for those who liked the show, but for anyone who had anything to say about it. So feel free to keep up the discussion.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Lux,

I appreciate that you felt the need to take a stand on a political issue in response to cernoblia's post, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with your post. But, as one member to another (and this goes to cernoblia as well) I'd appreciate it if you both might see your way clear to editing your post(s) to remove the politcal content. This sort of thing will go South in a hurry, and will likely result in this thread being closed. Discussing Fox in regards to this show is fine. Discussing Fox in regards to politics is bound to stir up a hornets nest.

OK, sure will.

I also hope they keep running SCC, but I saw the 2nd episode dipped a lot in ratings. I'm also looking forward to the 8 episodes of Jericho starting in a few weeks. I was one of those who sent peanuts & letters to CBS.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lux,

No worries on the politics stuff. No one reacted to it, so it's a non-issue.

Jericho--yeah, me too! I'm definitely looking forward to it, and I'm glad they're getting the chance to finish the story somewhat. I didn't know about it until after the first season--watched it on DVD--and at that point, they had already been picked up for a partial 2nd season.

Another show I thought I'd mention is Moonlight. I've been really impressed with this show in a number of ways, the most prominent of which is that it does NOT SKIMP on the plot points. Some shows drag out important events for freaking EVER, leaving them for season finales, and then (in the case of Smallville) taking them back and trying to get more mileage out them and all that. Not Moonlight, though. Within two or three episodes, the main female character knows Mick is a vampire. Then she finds out a couple episodes later that he is the one who rescued her when she was a child, then Mick's ex-wife shows up (who's supposed to be dead), and it turns out she's human again somehow, so there's a "cure" for vampirism. Mick is all over this, and it's the sort of thing that a normal group of writers would drag out for two or three seasons. But not Moonlight. Nope. A couple episodes later she gives the cure to Mick and now he's human!!! (at least temporarily). And his ex was taken off to another country by ancient and powerful vampires. Oh, and I forgot to mention, in between, the main female lead characters boyfriend is shot mupltiple times and is dying and Mick does everything short of turn him into a vampire to save him (which he refuses to do), and he dies. (I should mention the romantic tension between Mick and her).

I wish more shows would stop being so damn stingy with actual EVENTS happening, with CHANGE and growth and all that, and be more like Moonlight that way.

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lux,

No worries on the politics stuff. No one reacted to it, so it's a non-issue.

Jericho--yeah, me too! I'm definitely looking forward to it, and I'm glad they're getting the chance to finish the story somewhat. I didn't know about it until after the first season--watched it on DVD--and at that point, they had already been picked up for a partial 2nd season.

Another show I thought I'd mention is Moonlight. I've been really impressed with this show in a number of ways, the most prominent of which is that it does NOT SKIMP on the plot points. Some shows drag out important events for freaking EVER, leaving them for season finales, and then (in the case of Smallville) taking them back and trying to get more mileage out them and all that. Not Moonlight, though. Within two or three episodes, the main female character knows Mick is a vampire. Then she finds out a couple episodes later that he is the one who rescued her when she was a child, then Mick's ex-wife shows up (who's supposed to be dead), and it turns out she's human again somehow, so there's a "cure" for vampirism. Mick is all over this, and it's the sort of thing that a normal group of writers would drag out for two or three seasons. But not Moonlight. Nope. A couple episodes later she gives the cure to Mick and now he's human!!! (at least temporarily). And his ex was taken off to another country by ancient and powerful vampires. Oh, and I forgot to mention, in between, the main female lead characters boyfriend is shot mupltiple times and is dying and Mick does everything short of turn him into a vampire to save him (which he refuses to do), and he dies. (I should mention the romantic tension between Mick and her).

I wish more shows would stop being so damn stingy with actual EVENTS happening, with CHANGE and growth and all that, and be more like Moonlight that way.

No one reacted to Lux's comments because he didn't say anything inflammatory. He simply stated that ALL news outlets are biased. Still he removed his comments, while cernobila and da.gee leave there bait type comments up there. Why don't you, as a moderator, edit those comments out???

I liked Jericho when it just started; so many possibilities for the show and who Jake really was.... I think the writing took a nose dive after that. :( They seem to be rushing through scenarios rather than explore what the world might actually be like after such events. I'll watch a little to see how they'll wrap up the story, but I'm not excited about the show anymore. :(

Moonlight's okay, but why didn't Mick know how old his ex-wife was? I know the shows aren't the same, but I still liked Angel better. :D

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sinjz,

I asked both of them as one member to another. It was an optional thing. It was also a statement to others that, please, don't start arguing over politics here.

I never spoke as a moderator. I never said Lux said anything inflammatory. Only that he said something off-topic in response to cernobila's off-topic post.

It would have been out of line and unnecessary for me to edit out either of their comments as a moderator.

I was only speaking as a CPF member. I believe I was quite clear about that.

Anyway, moving on . . .

Moonlight's okay, but why didn't Mick know how old his ex-wife was? I know the shows aren't the same, but I still liked Angel better.

Totally agree! I too like Angel a lot better. I almost listed it above in my first post, along with Buffy and Firefly. But I decided not to, because I don't quite have the same passion for it as for the others I listed. I own the first four seasons of Angel on DVD, and have watched most episodes more than once, and some episodes are just amazingly good. But overall, I more of a Buffy fan than an Angel fan.

But much more of an Angel fan than a Moonlight fan, to be sure :)

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast
js, :wave:

I didn't say you spoke as a mod. I'm asking you to be a mod and erase cernobila's' post. That's a request I made in my very first post in this thread. :) Now I would like to add da.gee's post to that list. :grin2: They are off topic and clearly baiting with their comments. Why would it be out of line for a mod to remove them? Isn't that part of a mod's duties?

I only made the comparison between Moonlight and Angel becasue they are based on vampires. Angel couldn't stay on the air even when it was at its peak. I'm not sure how long they'll keep Moonlight on the air. Maybe that's why they are moving through story plots as quickly as they are. :shrug:

I was Buffy fan too. Are there any Angel fans who aren't Buffy fans or vice-a-versa? :D I just wish the last season or two of Buffy didn't suck as bad as they did. :(

Anyway, back to SCC (it took me awhile to figure that one out :ohgeez: ) I can't wait for tomorrow. :) Unlike Dudemar, I'm not really looking at it as a bridge between Terminator movies, but more of a different story based LOOSELY on the Terminator movies.

edit: BTW why do you have that weird MJ comment next to beautiful Kate?

Last edited:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
It always amazes me to see the variation in quality of various episodes and years of TV shows.

The thing that hurt Jericho was they ran it against one of the top rated reality shows, and then had a long break before continuing the end of season one, with practically no promotion of it restarting....by then people forgot what had happened. Even still it had decent ratings, so for them to drop it after a cliffhanger finale...and replace it with "Kid Nation," made many of us nauseous.

Truth be told, I actually sent 3 batches of nuts, 3 letters, 5 phone calls, and a priority mail envelope filled with styrofoam peanuts. You have to admit it is damn rare for a show to be brought back once the decision is made to cancel. The grassroots support and outrage was unprecedented beause of the internet. Just look at this one page of related links that they stopped updating a long time ago.

It is hysterical to look at the videos of 40 tons of nuts being delivered and filling up their mail rooms, and every week CBS ignored the fans, the number of nuts, emails, letters, phone calls kept increasing. The executives had to all change their email addresses, and cancel their fax and phone numbers.

However what was even more amazing was employees inside CBS then tipped off the grassroot supporters what the new phone & fax numbers, and new email addresses were. Within minutes they were all jammed up and message boxes totally filled again. LOL!

I don't think this type of thing ever happened spontaneously so powerfully, and broad based in the history of television. I know I personally had never done anything to save a cancelled show before.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, I definitely think they shouldn't have made Cameron so human in her first meeting with John. They have largely backed away from that now, as if she had never been that smooth. Perhaps they will explain it at some point, but I doubt it. Ah well.

On another note, I have to mention how much I've been impressed with Sarah Connor's monologues in this show, and how they've tied in with the plot and themes. Especially last nights episode.

The whole headless terminator thing was ALL WORTH IT when that scientist helped the terminator to grow new skin. Realistic? Hell no! Profound? Hell yes. It tied in with the creators of the A-bomb, and really also with the H-bomb. This scientist KNEW, towards the end, what he was dealing with, and yet he went through with it anyway, because he was so obsessed with seeing that he was indeed RIGHT about his theories. He wanted to see it (literally) take flesh and become real--the final proof for modern scientists. Techne is the greek word for making. Technology goes hand in hand with modern science.

One scientist who worked on the H-bomb said that they "just had to detonate one" to see if they were right about their understanding of things at the atomic level, and that "it was such a beautiful experiment."

Indeed. Scientists aren't all that concerned with WHY they are doing what they are doing. To them, it is an end in itself. They are like little kids playing with explosives, so excited about MAKING stuff and making stuff that WORKS that they are unaware or unmindful of the danger.

That scene really worked for me, where the scientist saw what he was dealing with, but went ahead anyway. It was so creepy and disturbing. Like the latest Frankenstien movie with Kenneth Bragnagh (sp?).

Anyway, this is how I think sci fi and fantasy can get at things that "realistic" shows like CSI can not. (and vice versa, too. Both genres are needed).

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Indeed. Scientists aren't all that concerned with WHY they are doing what they are doing. To them, it is an end in itself. They are like little kids playing with explosives, so excited about MAKING stuff and making stuff that WORKS that they are unaware or unmindful of the danger.

Nukes don't bother me much, but the biowarfare stuff is vaguely annoying. It wouldn't take much...

ptirmal

Enlightened
I watched the episodes that aired and I was pretty disappointed with them... I kind of expected it though...

Everything that was mentioned definitely detracted from enjoying the show...

It especially seems that they can't really make it last long, I mean the season premiere already had them jump into the future to stop cyberdyne... I can't recall but didn't they jump into the future relatively close to when cyberdyne systems go live?

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
I watched the episodes that aired and I was pretty disappointed with them... I kind of expected it though...

Everything that was mentioned definitely detracted from enjoying the show...

It especially seems that they can't really make it last long, I mean the season premiere already had them jump into the future to stop cyberdyne... I can't recall but didn't they jump into the future relatively close to when cyberdyne systems go live?

They've already changed the time-line--which was the point--so there's no telling exactly when (if ever) skynet will become active and self-aware. There's absolutely nothing theoretical stopping them from continuing the series for as long as there is interest and funding for it.

I would say that it's going to need to get better in order to have a future, but, really, lately it seems that that has almost NO bearing on (or even a negative bearning on) a shows future. Truly dreadful shows like Smallville seem to live forever, and amazing shows like Firefly are canceled prematurely. Ah well, we take what we can get, I suppose.

Latest posts