The SureFire AZ2 Thread

Flashlight Dave

Enlightened
Re: In which I sing the praises of the AZ2

I have the one without the strobe. My only complaint is that the high beam is too tight. It is like a laser. The tint is good and I love the flood. I had a choice between this light and the A2L and chose the AZ2 due to its tint both on high and low. Plus the low flood is much brighter.

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast

The AZ2 is a great light, if you wand a real flooder. Also the A2L is a flooder, but not that bright. The good point on the A2L and AZ2 is that the low is only made with the secondary LEDs, you will not have a big bright spot if you i.e. read a map.

I compared years ago the A2L with LX2 and also the AZ2 with a few other light some time ago. You can see in the first posting a comparsion of LX2 and A2L at the end of the first article:

http://www.messerforum.net/showthread.php?74381-Vorstellung-Surefire-A2-LED-Aviator-A2L-HA-WH

Here you can see a beam angle comparsion of several lights:

http://www.messerforum.net/showthre...-(Beam-%D6ffnungswinkel)-verschiedener-Lampen

As result the Surefire AZ2 and the Surefire KX4 head has a very similar beam shape, and the KX4 head does not have secondary LEDs. The reason for this wide beam is the geometry of the reflector. The Surefire A2L, AZ2, the KX4(D) Head and P60L are Surefires Flodder.

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened

The AZ2 is really cool, being floody with the throw option. However, for it's size and cost ($125) another few dollars and you could buy an LX2 which smaller, brighter, more efficient etc. The only thing that the AZ2 does better is flood a room with enough light to sneak through.

My LX2 is a great light, and to be honest, coupled with a Surefire diffuser, it does it all.... flood, throw, high, low, but for simple using when running, I don't really want to mess with removing a diffuser if I want to see a little further up the trail. The AZ2 body is a lot easier to grip with sweaty hands or while wearing gloves. The LX2 is a pretty slippery light, and you have to consistently apply pressure to the tail for it to stay lit (as opposed to the slippery Fury when you just need to click it on.)

I bought a white A2L around the same time as my LX2, and the LX2 killed it... the A2L does not throw very far at all, and my LX2 (with diffuser) could be the low/high flood light, or a focused thrower, so I sold my A2Z-WH years ago, but actually have an A2L-RD on the way (I always wanted one of those!)

So long story short, I think these lights are a steal for $125... the parts are also really fun to play around with. You can put the tail on a 6P or a 9P and get two levels, or you can put any E-series head on the AZ2. I had an old Scout Light head on mine for a little while... it was like an L2 without the high pitched whine! :)

tsl

Enlightened

The AZ2 is really cool, being floody with the throw option. However, for it's size and cost ($125) another few dollars and you could buy an LX2 which smaller, brighter, more efficient etc. The only thing that the AZ2 does better is flood a room with enough light to sneak through.

I had a LX2 and sold it as I found it slippery to keep gripped lengthwise. That's not an issue with the AZ2 because of the Combat light body.

MatthewSB

Enlightened

Is it still worth owning or is it outdated now?

Yeah, it's pretty outdated. 5 hours per battery is terrible runtime on low mode. For $10 less ($108) you can buy a dual mode Fury and have 500 lumens for 2 hours or 45+ hours of low mode that is almost as floody.

That said, the body and tailcap are the best of any Surefire I've ever used (and I've used a lot) and if you don't mind the poor battery life this light is pretty cool and might be worth it.

I had a LX2 and sold it as I found it slippery to keep gripped lengthwise. That's not an issue with the AZ2 because of the Combat light body.

I agree, the body and tailcap of the AZ2 are ideal.

I really wish they'd use the same body and tailcap with an updated head, maybe a 'combat body' dual mode fury?

FPSRelic

Enlightened
Does anyone know if Surefire updated the AZ2 during its short life? I noticed a cpfmarketplace thread that mentioned a "newest version"

I'm keen to try an eb2 head on this light and see if it fits.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know if Surefire updated the AZ2 during its short life? I noticed a cpfmarketplace thread that mentioned a "newest version"

I'm keen to try an eb2 head on this light and see if it fits.

I asked 880arm about this exact combo & he said it works, just can be a little buggy if you cycle too fast, but not a big deal. It wouldn't be an issue for me anyway, since I would replace the tailcap to make it a single mode instead. The mismatched body/head diameters would a little, but yes that would just be such an awesome light I wouldn't care.

yowzer

Enlightened

I don't know, but it'd be awesome to have one with the same output on high as the new updated p2x/etc. lights to give it some more kick.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked up one on the Marketplace and I am anxiously awaiting its arrival. Been wanting one for a while, just didn't want to pay retail for it.

kelmo