This should give the Thrunite TN31 a run for its money

moozooh

Enlightened
Oh, true. I was thrown off by post #2. Well, then it's just a twice cheaper TN31 with aluminum bezel. Time to rejoice for budget throw lovers, and time for ThruNite to come up with TN31S.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
It'll make a great apocalypse light. Plenty of output, great throw, decent size and 2000 hours on super low which in really dark places is enough.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received my K40 today. It's not a bad light. Just measured it at 99Kcd. It falls short of the TN-31 but then the K40 is a smaller light so that is to be expected. The selection ring is a little sticky but otherwise has the TN-31's well thought out layout with the strobe kept off to the side. To those who are calling this a copy. Not so sure. I think this is made by the exact same people who make the TN-31. I've seen my fair share of knock-offs and little things like the coating on internal parts to the quality of the AR coated lens lead me to believe this is made by the very same people.

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received my K40 today. It's not a bad light. Just measured it at 99Kcd. It falls short of the TN-31 but then the K40 is a smaller light so that is to be expected. The selection ring is a little sticky but otherwise has the TN-31's well thought out layout with the strobe kept off to the side. To those who are calling this a copy. Not so sure. I think this is made by the exact same people who make the TN-31. I've seen my fair share of knock-offs and little things like the coating on internal parts to the quality of the AR coated lens lead me to believe this is made by the very same people.

We will have Saabluster doing mods on that cheaper version soon.

I wonder what he would think of the guts of the K40 as he is very fussy about little things.

Selfbuilt did a revised list of some of the lights he has reviewed before and it bumped the TN31 from 93,000 lux to 112,800 lux with his new NIST calibrated light meter.

I have the original TN31 and my modded Saabluster TN31 is on its way to Australia as I write.

I bought his modded Fandyfire for someone else as well.

Cheers

duro

Enlightened
Sadly, every manufacturer seems to be forgetting about emittter options. Not all of us want a purple/blue tint to our light. Color rendition is more important to us. These manufacturers are forgetting about that.

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a review of the SupBeam K40, if you google: Supbeam K40: A Quick Pictorial

yes i noticed there was a supbeam version. supposedly the max isn't as driven as hard. 3.5a vs 3.0. didn't see a place selling the supbeam though..

would be interesting to see what saabluster can extract in throw performance.

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think this is made by the exact same people who make the TN-31. I've seen my fair share of knock-offs and little things like the coating on internal parts to the quality of the AR coated lens lead me to believe this is made by the very same people.

2wlt4j8.jpg

j8ofo3.jpg

2hguvqa.jpg

(photos from turboBB and mosesM)

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
and here's the clincher, supbeam makes this:

120ryqc.jpg

that's right. the scorpion. LOL

and here's the one made for thrunite:

Scorpion2011.jpg

Last edited:

moozooh

Enlightened
And this is poor man's TN11s:

0000106_cree_xml_u2_led_max_830_lumen_tactical_flashlight_l25a_580.jpg

Complete with identical brightness/intensity/distance claims. What's going on?

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
And this is poor man's TN11s:

0000106_cree_xml_u2_led_max_830_lumen_tactical_flashlight_l25a_580.jpg

Complete with identical brightness/intensity/distance claims. What's going on?

dude welcome to the world of contract manufacturing :D your iPhone isn't actually made by apple, it's made by foxconn

same with laptops, there are only a handful of laptop makers: arima, compal, clevo, wistron, inventec, etc. that's right, they actually make the laptops for acer, HP, etc

scaru

Banned

Are you thinking of upgrading these for more throw and selling them? :)

Bwolcott

Enlightened
I have the K3 illuminations version of the K40 as well and it looks to be made by the same people as the thrunite for sure, it is an extremely good value I posted some size comparison pics on budgetlightforums and cpf

moozooh

Enlightened
dude welcome to the world of contract manufacturing :D your iPhone isn't actually made by apple, it's made by foxconn

same with laptops, there are only a handful of laptop makers: arima, compal, clevo, wistron, inventec, etc. that's right, they actually make the laptops for acer, HP, etc

I dislike iPhones and don't consider getting one. I don't see how that argument even works here, since it's usually the body and physical UI elements that are being cloned, while here it's the opposite. They could as well make it on completely different factories. I just don't see the point in copying the same brightness settings when you could do as much as change that and throw off the suspicions of plagiarism. It almost feels like whatever the people behind this are, they either have a personal vendetta against ThruNite (former employees?) or something like that.

Last edited:

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dislike iPhones and don't consider getting one. I don't see how that argument even works here, since it's usually the body and physical UI elements that are being cloned, while here it's the opposite. They could as well make it on completely different factories. I just don't see the point in copying the same brightness settings when you could do as much as change that and throw off the suspicions of plagiarism. It almost feels like whatever the people behind this are, they either have a personal vendetta against ThruNite (former employees?) or something like that.

In America your point would be valid, because you certainly wouldnt want to get caught red handed copying someone else's product, but we are talking about China here. This whole semi-free market, semi-capitalism that they are now experimenting with is new, so its like the wild west there as far as regulations, rules pertaining to copyright or patent infringement. They might eventually crack down on this kind of thing, but there are Soooo many new businesses and industry there that I dont think they can keep up with it all, and they just dont have all the kinks worked out yet.

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast

that's assuming TN31 was actually designed by thrunite engineers. who knows it might actually have been designed by supbeam so they're free to make as many K40-type lights as they want.

same with the laptop ODMs, they usually engineer a reference design and sell it to acer, hp and the likes who then tweak the reference design to their own specs.

and i'm sure supbeam is in a formal agreement with thrunite that prohibits them from making an exact clone of TN31. guess what K40 isn't an exact clone. it's actually 10% weaker.