ThruNite Ti3

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some people report reducing wobblyness of Manker E01 with plumbers tape on the threads.

If my AAA twisties begin to skip modes, I clean off the excess lube on the threads.
All my aaa twisties have wobbly heads if I remove the Orings. How much they wobble depends on how broken in the Oring is.

Wobblyness can be seen as a feature not a bug, it can be used for momentary on, but that leaves it prone to accidental activation :)

To turn the Ti off, I unscrew the head until the light goes off, then press down on the head to see if it still lights up, if it does i unscrew it a little bit more.

Just to make sure it does not come on if the light is compressed when packed away or in your pocket.

It`s still a great light 115hrs on low and it`s bright enough for a nightime toilet dash. :eek:

John.

sbslider

Enlightened
Some people report reducing wobblyness of Manker E01 with plumbers tape on the threads.
That is partly how I fixed mine, I also had the whole electronics assembly and heat sink unscrewing, as well as the electronics separating from the heat sink. Some silicone fixed those two problems for now. So far it works properly 98% of the time since all the repairs.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
This light is on my wish list. I have not heard anything negative about it yet, except for a bit of wobbling that is going to happen with any threaded connection as stated above. What I have had happen on one other light that is very loose, is mode skipping. I use my Manker E01 for a night light, and it can be skippy at times. I may have fixed it finally, that is why I have been holding out and not pursuing the TI3 (yet). I like the Nichia emitter of the E01, but I suspect the neutral white of the Ti3 would be fine also.

Has anyone had problems with mode skipping on the Ti3?
No problems at all. I really do like this light. I have on in cool white and another in neutral white. Not sure which is my favorite.

What made me like the Ti3 over the others is the fact that firefly mode is the 1st brightness to come on, then medium.

Hugh Johnson

Enlightened
I was thinking about getting the Archer 1a. This thread has me reconsidering with the Ti3. Thrunite seems to have really thought through their designs. This will be my fourth light from them this year.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both the Archer 1A and the Ti3..(well the TiS stainless steel version).

They each have their use...although I have the Archer 1A V2 which a different animal with better specs in throw and beam pattern vs. the V3. The new Archer 1A V3 was a bit of a step back from the V2 as it lost almost half its throw despite having 30 more lumens output trading its smooth reflector for orange peel. The V3 is also marginally smaller than the V2 in size....but I digress.

I EDC the Ti3 daily for well over a year and it performs flawlessly as it did day 1. It's hardly noticeable in the front pocket and its mode spacing is perfect for what I need. I got it because the Archer was noticeable in my front pocket and I didn't like the bulk all the time. The Archer 1A V3 has 70 more lumens and only 16m more throw than the Ti3 so it would be down to run time.

If I had to choose between the Archer 1A V3 and the Ti3...the V3 would win for specs..but if it was for EDC it would be the Ti3...the thing is small enough to wear on a chain around your neck.

I too favor ThruNite as per my signature.

Hugh Johnson

Enlightened
Thanks LeanBurn. I could find a use for both but I'm going to limit my purchase to one.

My primary 2 uses favor the Ti3 for its small size. My third use favours the Archer for its brightness and run times. That may be my answer. It's draw on light levels at lower settings, which will be almost the exclusive use. For my planned uses for this light I'm happy to trade throw for flood. It's an advantage here.

Ive actually purchased 6 lights if you count the ones I gave as gifts. The Archer was one of them and it was perfect, except I wish it was a bit smaller. None of these purchases were brand loyalty. In each case Thrunite had the answer to my requirements. Impressive.

sbslider

Enlightened
No problems at all. I really do like this light. I have on in cool white and another in neutral white. Not sure which is my favorite.

What made me like the Ti3 over the others is the fact that firefly mode is the 1st brightness to come on, then medium.
Thanks for the feedback on the mode skipping.

I am a fan of firefly also in certain situations. It makes sense if you are going to offer firefly it be the first mode always IMO.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Received my cool white and neutral white Ti3's last night. I love the firefly mode, but really dislike the 10-second memory mode. ThruNite should have either given the light a true memory or nothing at all.

My one light is significantly harder to twist off/on than the other. That may be a matter of needing lube. The beams, while shining on a wall, are far from being smooth. It's a usable and functional beam, but it sure ain't pretty. I'll have more time today to play with them.

Did you resolve the issue with the harder to twist light? I had this issue myself and upon inspecting the o-ring I noticed the one on the light was thicker and stiffer than the extra in the little baggy. Unfortunately though, it seems to be a Goldilocks situation, one's too stiff, even lubed and the other allows the head to become unscrewed when i had the light clipped to my pocket.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
No exact measurement here, but to my eyes the three levels of the Ti3 are about equally bright and at 6 inches, 6 feet, and 60 feet; at low, medium, and high.

Low is still dimly useful at 6 feet, medium still dimly useful at 60 feet, but I doubt that high would do anything except light a reflective marker at 600 feet.
To me this is very useful level spacing, I wish there was a higher quality version of the light, I'd pay more.

Last edited:

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Regarding quality of the light, I'd like to see a more durable face inside of the light head instead of seeing the pcb and wear from the battery tube screwing down onto the contact at the perimeter.
I'd also like the option to pay a little more and be assured of premium components... these leds are supposed to run for years, but many led lights fail from components going bad, solder joints failing, etc.
With that said, I've carried my first Ti3 for over a year now and used it daily with no issues, and I trust it, but again it's a 12-15$ light and I can see wear on the pcb where the battery tube completes the circuit.
I think it's a great light and I'd love to know that it had been over engineered to outlast me.

I rely on this Ti3 even more often than my H600w, the Zebralight does the heavy lifting, but the Ti3 is so handy that I reach for it instead of the H600w unless I need a lot of light or a long runtime. I carry both of them all the time.

I've given about 8 of them away as gifts now, haven't heard of any failures yet.
One of the two L3 Illuminations L8 that I've gifted has failed, the one that failed was used daily for nearly two years. I replaced it with a spare Ti3.
Though it's not high CRI, the warm/ neutral variant of the Ti3 is a really good match for the low light levels that are mostly used with the light, -more useful than the cooler neutral of the Nichia, imo.

Last edited:

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Thx. Probably not the thread for it, but I always thought that getting a light with a neutral LED meant high CRI. From bits and pieces that I've read, that's not necessarily the case.

Puzzling to me, for sure.

gunga

Flashaholic
I've checked out and modded lots of AAA lights. The Thrunite is pretty much standard when it comes to build quality. The driver has more unique mode combinations and seems to be reasonably well made.

Thrunite can be found at good prices but quality is quite equivalent to say, Fenix, Lumintop, etc.

Neutral LED only refers to the colour temperature. Usually people refer to about 4000-5500K as roughly neutral. People will argue with the numbers so don't treat this as Gospel. 2700-3700K is often considered Warm. 6000K+ is considered cool. Again, these are not agreed upon by everyone.

Within each colour temperature you can get variances in tint. Purple, pink, yellow, green etc., can be found in every temperature. Some are more desirable (pink, yellow) and some not (purple, green).

You can get a pleasant white cool white and you can get a neutral with nasty green tinge. It's a tint "lottery". A tighter bin will have less variance from LED to LED so will be more consistent. But you still need a well chosen tint.

High Cri, or high colour rendering index, is poorly understood (by me too). Generally neutral /warm LEDS have higher Cri vs cool white (say 80 cri vs 70 cri) , but these are not "high cri". High cri is generally 90+ cri and can be found in a variety of tints. They are generally warm and neutral.

I'm not an expert but I'm just trying to clarify things a bit.

The Thrunite TiS can be found on Amazon among other vendors.

Latest posts