ThruNite TN32?

NeedMoreLight

Newly Enlightened
I'm pretty new at this so this might be a dumb question, but does more cd yield more throw? If it does, why does the description on the thrunite website say that the maximum beam distance is less than that of the thrunite tn31 xm-l2?:confused:
I think we will have to wait till someone does a review on it. I think the specs are wrong. But a moot point for me since I spent my money on other lights.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm pretty new at this so this might be a dumb question, but does more cd yield more throw? If it does, why does the description on the thrunite website say that the maximum beam distance is less than that of the thrunite tn31 xm-l2?:confused:

Not a dumb question at all, we were all newbies at one point!

Candela IS throw, for all intents and purposes. If you know the candela number (measure of intensity of the beam), you know how far it will throw.

The formula for ANSI range is:

distance = square root (candela rating/.25)

So a light that does 100,000lux@1m (100k candela) will have a range of 632 meters and change according to the ANSI spec.

As to the maximum beam distance being lower than the TN31, I'm guessing that is simply an error. It is impossible for a light with a higher candela rating to have a shorter range.

Esko

Enlightened
Are the extra lumens compared to the tn31 xml2 used for a more floody beam profile?:twothumbs

There is not much sense in adding flood to TN31. After all, it is the throw that makes the light worth buying (and considering the widely available stock led lights, it is one of the best if not the best in it). Actually, it would benefit from having less flood. Having lots of bright flood close to the user makes our eyes adjust to said brightness and it makes it more difficult to see far.

ggroyal1117

Newly Enlightened
I received my TN32 today. It is the same size as my TN31. The TN32 carrying case is smaller than the one for the TN31. The TN31 case has a separate area for the holster. I installed fully charged Panasonic 3400mah batteries in both flashlights.
After, dark, I compared the two flashlights in my backyard. The Tn32 is a lot brighter than the TN31. The spot looks to be the same size. I did not find any blemishes and the mode selector ring works fine. I would like to see a professional review of the TN32.

Glowman

Newly Enlightened
I received my TN32 today. It is the same size as my TN31. The TN32 carrying case is smaller than the one for the TN31. The TN31 case has a separate area for the holster. I installed fully charged Panasonic 3400mah batteries in both flashlights.
After, dark, I compared the two flashlights in my backyard. The Tn32 is a lot brighter than the TN31. The spot looks to be the same size. I did not find any blemishes and the mode selector ring works fine. I would like to see a professional review of the TN32.

Can you please show us some beamshots of both lights side by side? This will give us an overview of the relative brightness gain of the TN32. Me too, I am waiting for a professional review of TN32 but, can't find any yet. At least you have both the TN31 and TN32. I have already ordered the TN32 today but will reach my hand by January yet.

markfinn

Newly Enlightened
My TN32 has arrived as well, sent by ThruNite free of charge from China to Germany - excellent service!
Compared to a TN31(L2) it's really a lot brighter. Max level on the TN31 is roughly equivalent to Level 5 on the TN32. The step from 5 to 6 is clearly visible, close up as well as in the distance.
Unlike the TN31 that can run on max output for two hours or more (barely exceeding 40 degrees C), there is a warning message in the TN32 booklet not to run it on max for more than 10 minutes, and I can confirm that it's getting hot a lot faster than the TN31. However, the chrome plated copper heat sink does a good job (quick heat dissipation). Hope to see current/power consumption graphs soon on CPF.
Beam profile looks the same as with the TN31, maybe the spot has a slightly 'sharper' edge. This is really a beautiful beam, and the low level 1 makes it a very versatile lamp even for nightly indoor use.
One thing I have noticed is the missing anodizing on the threads of the battery compartment (the head part is chrome plated copper outside and inside), maybe to support the higher current flow. Thread quality is quite good, reflector and glass are clean, overall quality is really nice.
I'm running it with unprotected NCR18650B 3400mAh cells (the green ones), will try the blue (protected) Enerpower to see if they can handle the obviously higher current.
Maybe a side effect of the copper material or more precise machining: the selector ring is running very smooth, close to perfect!
One more thing I have found is that when turning from standby back to max level the light always turns on instantly, whereas it took a few seconds on the TN31, which sometimes did not even turn on without switching first to level 5 and back to level 6 (max).

Overall this is a great light, so bright it's almost a weapon :)

Fugu75

Newly Enlightened
Bit confused here.. "even brighter than TN31 L2.." with 1702 lm and 132 000 cd (1376 lm & 90 000 cd for TN31 L2) but still max beam "only" 727 m (840 m for TN31 L2). Is it a thrower or not? Have they combined the strenghts of TN30 and TN31 for one lamp?

markfinn

Newly Enlightened
The TN32 is a thrower, that hasn't changed :)
Since the beam profile/angle looks the same between TN31 and TN32 (isn't it the same reflector and type of LED?) and the TN32 is definitely brighter, it should also have more throw, in theory. I have also noticed the strange throw figures stated by ThruNite (TN32 less than TN31), and for me the only explanation besides a simple mistake is that they have changed the measuring method. The TN32 data sheet says "Max 727 meters, Max 1702 Lumen" according to ANSI/NEMA FL 1. Maybe this is more strict than the method used for TN31?? I guess we will see some real figures during the next days.

Glowman

Newly Enlightened
Can you please show us some beamshots of the TN31 and TN32 side by side. Please take the picture with both of them turned on to show the relative difference. Can't wait for the professional reviews to come out.

Last edited:

peartree_423

Newly Enlightened
I ordered mine from amazon a few days ago. I'll let you guys know what I think of it when it gets here (hopefully before Christmas!!). If I can find the time, I might even post beamshots of the TN32 vs my blindingly bright 37 lumen Maglight solitaire​!!

Also, I ordered Nitecore 3400 mAh 18650 batteries for my TN32. Anyone have any experience with these??

peartree_423

markfinn

Newly Enlightened
I don't have a camera available at the moment, the only thing I could do is a very unscientific test with a Polaris flash/continuous EV meter (photo equipment). The Polaris meter set to ISO100 with integrating sphere in front of the light sensor, Thrunite flashlights 0.5m distance, level 6(max):
TN31(L2) = EV 15 8/9
TN32 = EV 16 5/9
Both with the same battery pack, a few seconds after switching them on. Although the difference in EV doesn't seem to be much, it's almost 2/3 F-stop, which is indeed huge! Even if we consider tolerances like the TN31 being rather at 16 and the TN32 at 16 1/2 (my meter has rather coarse 1/9 steps), it's still half an F-stop. If I'm not wrong, that's roughly reflecting the specified lumens difference of ~1300 vs. ~1700. Even if my calculation is way off, the measured values at least confirm that the TN32 is brighter :)
I'm curious if one of the soon-to-come 'professional' tests will confirm my observations.
Something I have noticed in my testing: my sample of TN32 seems to have a very slightly wider beam than the TN31, but I would have to do some white wall tests to verify.
When using the TN32 in cold weather (below freezing point) I have noticed a spot of condensing water on the inside of the front lens which disappears at room temperature. Might be due to being assembled in a humid climate, trapping some humidity in the flashlight head.
Needless to say: I'm still very happy with the TN32.

peartree_423

Newly Enlightened
Ok, so I just opened my TN32 yesterday for Christmas and I am very impressed!! I found this light to be very bright (although the only other lights I have to compare it to are like 100 lumens…) Anyway, here are some photos I took this morning...

well, i have a bunch of pics but i cant upload them… it just puts the link that doesnt work… anybody known how to fix this??

Last edited:

Glowman

Newly Enlightened
Upload it to some other sites and just place the links here at the forum.

peartree_423

Newly Enlightened
Alright, so I made my own website and posted all my pictures on it. I will try to take some outdoor beam shots some time soon as well. The website is... www.myflashlightcollection.webs.com. The pictures are under the tab "photo gallery." Enjoy :) and post some comments on the blog if the website lets you (i'm still trying to figure that out).

Patriot

Flashaholic
This must be the strangest thread on CPF right now. There's still no explanation about the increased lumens with decreased throw and no mention of how the LED is being driven to in order to reach that 1700 spec. I guess if we could see some beamshots that reflect the claims being made, we could simply dismiss all of Thrunite's specifications with regards to throw, since they're all over the map it seems.

peartree_423

Newly Enlightened
This must be the strangest thread on CPF right now. There's still no explanation about the increased lumens with decreased throw and no mention of how the LED is being driven to in order to reach that 1700 spec. I guess if we could see some beamshots that reflect the claims being made, we could simply dismiss all of Thrunite's specifications with regards to throw, since they're all over the map it seems.

I will do my best to get some outdoor beamshots up on my website in the next few days, as I stated in my last post. I do not own a TN31, therefore I will not be able to directly compare the two :(. As for now, I have lots of pics up on my website you may look at. :)

Glowman

Newly Enlightened
A review just came up. http://budgetlightforum.com/node/27404

Nice to know it really is outperforming TN31 XML2 in every aspect and did 1041 yards or 952 meters! No outdoor beamshots just yet so, peartree_423 please kindly post some long distance beamshots. My order still is to come by January... Whew, can't bear the pain of waiting.

peartree_423

Newly Enlightened
A review just came up. http://budgetlightforum.com/node/27404

Nice to know it really is outperforming TN31 XML2 in every aspect and did 1041 yards or 952 meters! No outdoor beamshots just yet so, peartree_423 please kindly post some long distance beamshots. My order still is to come by January... Whew, can't bear the pain of waiting.

Will do.
For my next light, I am deciding between...

• Thrunite TN30 (xm-l2)
• Fenix TK75 (xm-l2)
• Supbeam X40 (xm-l2)
• Nitecore TM26

I cant wait for the tm26 to get xm-l2 leds! Anyone have any experience with any of these or have a personal preference on which I should buy?

– peartree_423