Thrunite TN4A (XP-L V6, 4xAA) review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO and more!

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
lets see the TN4A is 45mm at the bezel so a 46mm diffuser or 45mm warmed up and forced on to shape would be what you are looking for...I think NC may have one

dmattaponi

Enlightened
Just an update...received a neutral white TN4A HI today, and just with a quick once over, it lives up to the standard I've come to expect from Thrunite. Fit and finish are very nice. I didn't notice any cosmetic issues, and it seems to work just fine. Love the nw tint. All specifications are supposed to be the same between the nw and cw HI TN4A. If initial impressions count for anything, I wouldn't have any problem recommending this light to others. Also, I've got 4 other TN4A (3 regular and 1 HI) that my family has been using since March of this year. We've had no problems, and my wife who generally thinks I'm nuts when it comes to flashlights has become a TN4A addict. She won't go outside after dark without it, and even sometimes throws it in her purse if she knows she is going to be out after dark (even though she already has a perfectly fine small single cell edc light). Now if I could just get her to realize how useful the lower settings are, and how ample the lower light settings are, I'd be happy. She pretty much insists on the 500 lumen setting when outside after dark. I've designated one TN4A as hers, since I knew she would do her best to absent-mindedly abuse it. She has held true to the standard I set for her, and her bumped, dropped, wet, etc., TN4A has held up without issue. As far as "wow" factor, most of the people I associate with are not "flashlight people", but the TN4A never ceases to impress. I think anytime we've used one in front of others, we've received comments on how nice and bright the lights are (and that was just in casual usage, not with an intent to display and impress). When I started out to buy my first TN4A I wasn't sure if I wanted a cool white or neutral white version. Now that I have both a regular and HI neutral white versions of the TN4A, and regular and high versions of the cool white TN4A as well, I can say that if I had to pick between the two, I'd choose neutral white, simply because I find the tint more pleasing to my eyes. The cool whites are fine also. In fact it's been noted more than once that the cool white version is somewhat neutral in color, but the neutral white is definitely my favorite. Those are the two that I select for my own personal use when I want something brighter than my pocket edc light.

dmattaponi

Enlightened
Forgot to mention...there is one cosmetic difference. The Thrunite logo on the newest TN4A has Thrunite TN4A HI on one panel, and RoHs FC CE with the serial number on another panel. All of my other TN4A' have the model on one panel, and the Thrunite logo on the second panel. Here is a pic of the new TN4A

The keyring is something I added.

Last edited:

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
So...I succumbed to the lure of the TN4A. I ran out of reasons to not get it. I reasoned...ok...I want the super throw, then they came out with HI..but its only in cool white. Then they came out with neutral white. Then it went on sale 20% off. I got some birthday money and my fate was sealed.

I went for a walk in the country with this unit and I was simply blown away. The unit is so small in my hands yet...so...much light...on high...then I hit turbo...no way..that is more than I will ever use. I don't want to say it, but I may be a ThruNite fan.

Last edited:

jtjemt

Newly Enlightened
I just tried my first TN4A (not the HI) and, after receiving it, remembered CPF. Thanks for the reviews and specs! My personal feelings are WOW, impressive! Have about a dozen Ti3 AAA's that have gone out as gifts for friends and had a couple clunkers that went back, but the service from Thrunite (at least for me) has been pretty much spot-on. It's nice to know that Amazon is right there with the return policy, but I like to stay with the manufacturer if possible.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I finally broke and got the NW HI. These things are just to good to pass up as I got mine for less than 50 bucks. Just got it today and put fresh Eneloop Pros in it and freaking love it! To my eyes it is just as bright and throws just as far as my CW HI.

mar01006765

Newly Enlightened
Mine should be here in the next couple of days :)
I hope this question isn't too stupid, but could I use a single 7.4 lipo pack in it? Say 5000mah for example.
If I modified the carrier to accept the new battery it seems I'd get longer run times etc... well, the benefits of lipo.
I can't see why it wouldn't work as the voltage of the pack would be in the correct range for the flashlight.

Thanks for the review! :)
Ben

TShoot

Newly Enlightened
I have one coming in for Christmas because of the mostly positive reviews found here and the great write-up by Selfbuilt.. :twothumbs

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thrunite in my experience does NW very well. It would be cool if they offered like 4 different emitters per model like ET but hey I know that TN is mostly a more budget friendly light. Its funny. My old friends still are slack jawed at these TN4A's they cannot believe how much light they put out. I am greatly pleased by all now 5 of my TN4A's. You literally just cannot go wrong with these things....

butmrpdf

Newly Enlightened
I have registered on this forum just now to ask this question. I was reading that in a parallel arrangement of aa cells the voltage remains the same as of one individual cell (1.2v in case of ni-mh batteries) and only the current gets multiplied 4 times (as in tn4a's case).

However, The listed Working Voltage for tn4a is 2.75-8V. How is this possible?

I have two.more flashlights, an olight s2a baton which stopped working a week into the purchase (with olight shaking their hands off any responsibility since the purchase was made through aliexpress which is not an authorized reseller as per them)

the other flashlight a neutral tint archer 2a v3 has stopped working all of a sudden today, and ive written an email to thrunite and am waiting for their response.

All my flashlights are being run by ni-mh aa batteries and even if they are used in a series configuration can go up to 2.4 volts at the maximum so there is no.possiblilty of the led getting fried due to excessive voltage.

I am now a little worried about my tn4a which is the only one which is working now. I am quite dissapointed with the serice these well acclaimed lights have given me.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have every version of the TN4A. Run them all off Eneloop Pro's and they all work fantastic. That is interesting that TN says it has such a wide voltage range. Only reason that that is the case I can think of is just that the electronics are just that stout. Sorry to hear about your Archer. TN should take care of you. In series the 4xAA TN4A would be pushing 6 volts with freshly charged NiMH's. I believe the TN4A has some kind of buck booster to amplify the voltage as you are correct about parallel output...

sbslider

Enlightened
I purchased this light for 20% off direct from Thrunite. See Thrunite homepage for coupon code. Really fast shipping, ordered yesterday afternoon with free shipping, being delivered today. $39.96 for a TN4A NW, really looking forward to checking out this light.

Last edited:

Hugh Johnson

Enlightened
I have the Hi NW and love it. Its such a robust tail standing light and it throws far with great spill. If I was looking for a new "at home" or general purpose light I'd get the V6 for the larger hot spot. For throw I absolutely love the Hi.

sbslider

Enlightened
I bought the TN4A with the hopes of using it as a bike light. I considered the HI but figured I did not need the uber long distance, and a bigger hot spot would be better on the bike. I figure I will find other uses for it as well. So far I am definitely impressed. Need to figure out how to mount it to the bike still though.

Hugh Johnson

Enlightened
My unit has a very slight green corona. Almost not noticeable.
I do notice that it's yellower at lower power and whiter at higher power, as seems typical of constant current lights.

carnage

Enlightened
My unit has a very slight green corona. Almost not noticeable.
I do notice that it's yellower at lower power and whiter at higher power, as seems typical of constant current lights.

I have 2 Thrunite light and both has the green and yellow tint to the beam on lower modes, the higher the mode it's less noticeable the greenish tint is. You can only see it when bouncing the beam off of something white.

Does all Thrunite lights have this greenish tint to the beam?

sbslider

Enlightened
I have 3 NW Thrunites. My Ti3 is the most green of the bunch, and the TN4A is the least. The TN4A actually has some purple slightly noticeable on the highest settings when illuminating a white surface.

I would say all the NW Thrunites I have seen have some green to them. Not sure about the CW version.