Titanium vs. Zirconium

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the additional details @Thetasigma

If there is just a small bright scratch in Zr, is that easily repaired ?

It is not something I have tried, but I suspect if the part was cleaned and re-heated it would re-oxidize the scratched surface black.

Or just use Mn-bronze and once well oxidized the scratches turn nice and quickly back to brown

easilyled

Flashaholic
arch, I may be entirely wrong, but I read that its not all that easy to scratch the black oxide layer once Zirconium has been heat treated to produce this. The article I read said that the black oxide is very hard and scratch resistant and also that its usually quite thick implying that it would take a really deep gouge and quite a strong physical force to scratch it to the point where the silver metal is showing through.

However, the article I read was from a Jewellery store offering Zirconium rings in the black oxide finish. So they may have been exaggerating Zirconium dioxide's (the black one) toughness.

archimedes

Flashaholic
I wouldn't say that Zr scratched "easily" but a scratch shallow enough that it is difficult to easily catch a fingernail, clearly shows the bright silvery metallic substrate.

I have treated DLC-coated Ti (and DLC-coated steel) far more roughly, with no evident damage, by way of comparison.

I would imagine that the finish may well be like Al anodizing, in terms of having a wide range of potential thickness and toughness.

Last edited:

easilyled

Flashaholic
I have a black oxide Zr light that I received a couple of weeks ago. I can just about make out the tiniest and most superficial of hairline marks (doesn't qualify as a scratch really) that is far too superficial to expose any silver and could probably be quite easily eradicated. I'll be sure to treat the light very carefully in view of your findings.

I think your last statement above is very relevant. I've read that the black oxide layer is best achieved by heating above 1000 degrees in an oven for maybe four to five hours. This would probably result in a much thicker layer of hard black oxide than torching it for a much shorter space of time.

The subject is quite interesting because there seems to be quite a lot of secrecy amongst the various artisans that produce the Zirconium ceramic oxides and this is understandable.

They don't want to give away their secrets.

However it results in quite a lot of guesswork and a lack of understanding when it comes to owning these pieces and how resistant they may be to any abuse.

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't say that Zr scratched "easily" but a scratch shallow enough that it is difficult to easily catch a fingernail, clearly shows the bright silvery metallic substrate.

I have treated DLC-coated Ti (and DLC-coated steel) far more roughly, with no evident damage, by way of comparison.

I would imagine that the finish may well be like Al anodizing, in terms of having a wide range of potential thickness and toughness.

That settles it for me. Any idea of a vendor or anyone who does DLC Titanium?