TK 11 emitter glowing...way after turning off

houtex

Enlightened
My new TK R5 emitter is glowing,ever so slighty,long after using the light. If I unscrew the tailcap the emitter stops glowing but when I tighten the tailcap again the slight glow returns. What gives?

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it's doing what you say .........

It should be returned for replacement .

It has a problem .... for sure.

It should not do that.

garden

Newly Enlightened
That's the problem with some Fenix multi-mode lights. It also happens on the LD20 Q5.

Try disassembling the tailcap, clean it and screw it on tight.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's the problem with some Fenix multi-mode lights. It also happens on the LD20 Q5.

Try disassembling the tailcap, clean it and screw it on tight.

Unfortunately, they put thread-lock one some of the tailcaps, I couldn't take apart the one of my LD20 to install an orange rubber boot and the one of the PD20 was tough. It's their secret, why they give you a spare boot with the light.

Clean everything you can without voiding the warranty and if the glowing continues, send it back!

ergotelis

Enlightened
When you say it is glowing, it is like lighting up a little bit right? I see the same thing in a custom twisty flashlight i have, when i hold the head and the body on my hands tightly. Can't really understand why it is doing so!

IMSabbel

Enlightened
Modern leds produce light at extremely low currents.
What you see is most likely just an output capacitor of the driver discharging. They are small, but when the voltage drops, its a very high resistance discharge through the led. For some AC drivers that have nice big caps, the glow can last for a minute or longer.
There is nothing wrong with it.

houtex

Enlightened
Just to see,I left thetailcap tight alll night and when I woke this morning,the emitter still had a glow going on. I'll try the cleaning in a bit and report back.

daf3m

Enlightened
Unfortunately, they put thread-lock one some of the tailcaps, I couldn't take apart the one of my LD20 to install an orange rubber boot and the one of the PD20 was tough. It's their secret, why they give you a spare boot with the light.

Clean everything you can without voiding the warranty and if the glowing continues, send it back!

Fenix using thread-lock on tailcap doesn't make any sense. Suppose someone needs to replace the bubber boot - that makes it impossible.I suggest to use more force .A few months back i had screwed the retainer so hardly on my pd20 that i had drill new holes after that..

Modern leds produce light at extremely low currents.
What you see is most likely just an output capacitor of the driver discharging. They are small, but when the voltage drops, its a very high resistance discharge through the led. For some AC drivers that have nice big caps, the glow can last for a minute or longer.
There is nothing wrong with it.

If this was the reason,i suppose a few other owners would have mentioned ssuch a strange behaviour..

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
His light circuit seems to have a parasitic current drain.

Cleaning contacts will just improve the drain !

He needs the drain to stop .... not get better.

How long have you had it ? Have you noticed the batt's are dead within 2 weeks of non-use ?

Test it with the tail-cap removed to see how much current flow there is.

~

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Its not supposed to do that. Off means OFF.
You should just return it for a refund or exchange.

HOWEVER... you said it does turn off when you loosen the tailcap. it might be nice to keep, and use it as a night locating mode. But the light is defective, no doubt about that.

houtex

Enlightened
I took the tailcap apart and it was a little oily AND there were 2 slivers of aluminum inside the switch area. I wiped everything down,reassembled and back in business. Strange,I'm not sure how it happened but it did so I'm just happy that it's not doing that anymore.

Aside from the glowing problem,I'm really happy with this light. It's the R5 with smooth reflector. Very clean,very bright spot with no holes in the beam at all.

Thanks for the help.

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
So .... you're saying the 2 slivers of aluminum inside the switch were causing a high resistance circuit , causing the glow ?

And it's fixed now ?

~

daf3m

Enlightened
:sssh:Apparently this is the most obvious reason and the trick works most of the times..Suppose no thread-lock glue..:)

Same thing happens sometimes when the pressure switch is slightly pressed.:wave:

houtex

Enlightened
So .... you're saying the 2 slivers of aluminum inside the switch were causing a high resistance circuit , causing the glow ?

And it's fixed now ?

~

No,what I'm saying is that there were 2 slivers of aluminum in the tailcap area,behind the retaining screw,ringy thing,and it was oily. Now that they have been removed and I wiped away the oil, the problem is gone. Not sure what was the cause but the clean up was the fix.

rdc2co

Newly Enlightened
I can't seem to get mine apart- Anyone have a diagram? Is there a screw on the side or just that silver ring inside? What kind of tool am I supposed to use?

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
The metal retaining ring on the inside has two small dimples in it. Use something to poke into those holes, then turn counter-clockwise to remove (if cleaning or replacing switch), or clockwise to tighten it (if it's loose).

rdc2co

Newly Enlightened
Per Fenix: I was finally told to download these instructions.
http://www.fenixlight.com/rcwh.asp
http://www.fenixlight.com/rcwh.asp
Take a look at video #2. It worked for me (for now) and I used a pair of craft pliers to unscrew the ring. I then used a NEW toothbrush to clean the contacts and the same pliers to re-install everything. I didn't want to break the light by forcing that little silver ring, but it did take a little bit of effort to loosen it.
I hope this helps other people out- all of you really helped me- Thanks!

AVSECB2

Newly Enlightened
I took the battery cap off and though I didn't really see anything I wiped it all down. :thumbsup: Presto chango the LED doesn't remain on when I tighten the battery cap as it has since I got it.