To all fenix TK61 owners: How long can you use instant turbo?

kj75

Enlightened
Got answer from Fenix:

Sorry for confusing you. I will try to explain it to you.

When the light turns to instant turbo, it needs high power and cause the battery voltage drops down quickly. If your battery's end-voltage is sets as 2.75V, the instant turbo only lasts for 1 or 5 seconds. The light turns off. But immediately the voltage will recover to 3.5-3.7V. Then you can enter into instant turbo again but it also can't last for long time.

I checked the CPF and fund Stefeno don't have this problem. So I will confirm with him if he used Fenix brand battery.

We tested TK61 with our Fenix battery, but it works pefectly.

Best Regards

Cathy Li/MS

Fenixlight Limited

It's like they don't admit a glitch or a production error....
Only thing they say it's the voltage.....and I am sure that's not the problem :shakehead

kj2

Flashaholic
Got answer from Fenix:

Sorry for confusing you. I will try to explain it to you.

When the light turns to instant turbo, it needs high power and cause the battery voltage drops down quickly. If your battery's end-voltage is sets as 2.75V, the instant turbo only lasts for 1 or 5 seconds. The light turns off. But immediately the voltage will recover to 3.5-3.7V. Then you can enter into instant turbo again but it also can't last for long time.

I checked the CPF and fund Stefeno don't have this problem. So I will confirm with him if he used Fenix brand battery.

We tested TK61 with our Fenix battery, but it works pefectly.
It's like they don't admit a glitch or a production error....
Only thing they say it's the voltage.....and I am sure that's not the problem :shakehead
Then I would say; Anybody with this problem, please post which brand battery you're using.
And if you don't have this problem, then also post which brand batteries you are using.

I don't have this problem, and I'm using; Eagletac 3100 batteries.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
I will do a check later,the ones in are Sanyo protected ,will try pany protected and unprotected cells,also xtar as still await my keeppower cells.

My lumens are over 1700 though as a apposed to 1000 standard .

I still can't believe the fenix theory ,just does not add up as 4x18650 cells for 1000lm is no big ask!!
My tk75vn does not do it at 4400lm with 4xpany protected so will soon find out:D

ven

Flashaholic
Righty the tk61vn has Sanyo protected 2800mah cells(app) which to add work fine in the tm15 at 2450lm which is more than the tk61vn by around 700lm

Swapped tk75vn carrier around with 4x 3400mah panasonic protected cells which will happily run turbo at 4400lm .......(so its not a carrier fault or cells)
The tk61vn does exactly what i was expecting,it lasts for a few seconds on turbo then goes off.

If i hold the mode whilst the turbo is on(in the few seconds i hold power button) i can release the power button and keep turbo running on the mode button(hope that makes sense).

So i can have "almost instant turbo" :laughing: which i dont use tbh so as i have said it does not make any difference to me,but yes its not what fenix has replied and i thought quite odd tbh with the standard light 1000lm and 4x18650 cells and peeps having issue,its a glitch or fault(what ever you want to call it).

kj75

Enlightened
Thanks guys so far...Hope that Fenix will admit their fault/glitch....That's the most important for me...
And of course a solution for all owners with that problem..

ven

Flashaholic
Yes and the carrier is ruled out so it is defo in the tk61 light,nothing else or it is in my case.

Probably a batch with the glitch........

NorthernStar

Enlightened
Thanks guys so far...Hope that Fenix will admit their fault/glitch....That's the most important for me...
And of course a solution for all owners with that problem..

+1 on this! If i had a light with this fault i would send it back for replacement. When reading the specs about the TK61, it says nothing about that the instant turbo should have a limited runtime before it switches down to a lower mode.That sounds more like an expected behaviour from a light with a burst mode.I don´t think it has anything to do with the batteries used as indicated by previous posters, it must be a fault of the batch.

metalhead69

Enlightened
Yes as I mentioned earlier I can push the power button at an angle and the turbo will stay on until I release it. Otherwise it won't stay on. Mine is modded so I couldn't do anything about it even if I wanted to.

ven

Flashaholic
Not tried the angled button press...............will try it later:) if that works then maybe something to do with the actual switch contact..........maybe

ven

Flashaholic
Just tried the switch thing and if i push it from right or left side i get around 10 seconds of turbo,if i push from top down or down up angles then a second or so........so looks switch/contact related.

But if i want instant turbo as said can use the "almost instant method" or just leave light in turbo before switching off,that way i dont need to hold button,just press it :laughing:

metalhead69

Enlightened
I can definitely live with it. And like you said I know how to get there if I really need it.

ven

Flashaholic
I can definitely live with it. And like you said I know how to get there if I really need it.

:thumbsup: being honest here:tinfoil:(all i am anyway :laughing: ) i didnt even know it had instant turbo till this thread so would not have even found out.
How i use the tk61vn.....when i come to turn off i have in low,i unscrew tail cap(quite a few turns may i add) to lock out.Then when i switch on its on low,i then step it up to where i want it........thats it.I also use the tm15 and tk75vn the same way amongst many but just to name a couple.Side note here,the tm15 is great to lock out,less than about 10mm turn ,very easy/user friendly.

metalhead69

Enlightened
That's funny . You learned something new. :) I don't use my lights for work or every day so I won't notice it. Just like collecting lights

ven

Flashaholic
That's funny . You learned something new. :) I don't use my lights for work or every day so I won't notice it. Just like collecting lights

I like collecting too,like to use them when i can,although my time is limited with 2 young ones and work etc etc.

You need to take a bag of your vinh lights to some open area,chill,take a camping chair and have a play:D could even get some pics(hint hint);)

I do get at least 2hrs of use a day,but not modded lights,little over kill(not to mention blinding) in work,but my t7.2 and some AA lights are daily used.

kj75

Enlightened
Hello guys! Got answer from Fenix...looks like a step forward...;)

Dear Customer

We can't find out what is the problem with it.

I am asking our distributor to ship TK61 to us for a check, which has the same problem.

I will inform you after we get the results, but it will take about 10~15days.

Best Regards

Cathy Li/MS

Fenixlight Limited

Looking forward to their next reply....

Latest posts