To all fenix TK61 owners: How long can you use instant turbo?

Albert56

Newly Enlightened
Call me picky, but to me a flashlight whose turbo mode only runs for 5-10 seconds a pop or needs to have the button held at some odd angle or the tail cap messed to work has some major issues. One presumably is buying such a light for maximum throw and I don't see how anyone could "definitely live with it" as is.

It seems some manufacturers are cashing in on our never ending lust for lumens and turning out sub-par products, figuring we'll let it ride or attempt to fix it ourselves, rather than call them on it. I wouldn't touch one of these lights with a 10 foot pole unless this problem were resolved.

ven

Flashaholic
Albert,not all have this issue,i can only presume a "batch" dont know,how it got past fenix QC again dont know,guess same way as any faulty light from ZL or surefire gets through........

From a personal perspective(just me and my opinion) it is a glitch fault,no argument there!!!
Although i agree with what your saying and should not accept it! my circumstances are different in 2 ways

1st of all it does not bother me(right or wrong) i dont need/use instant turbo on this light
2nd Mine is modified anyway,so .........well that it no warranty however this issue as its with standard lights too seems to be hit/miss......again maybe a batch or 2

But everyone is entitled to their own opinion and do agree with you,why would you want to spend $150+ on a light that is a 50/50 chance of instant turbo.......cant argue with that,with you 100%:thumbsup:

Way i use my lights,especially modded or high powered flashlights is very rare on instant turbo,i tend to select the mode and thats it,i dont need instant turbo on mine.I use the turbo mode,but without holding any buttons down.If i click power its off,click again, back on in turbo! so instant then, and no holding button..........
I dont use instant turbo on my tk75vn or any other apart from odd time on the tm15.All my lights are usually locked out on low mode(lowest setting so i know when its locked out).I then ramp up to req level.

So i would not call you picky,just some of us its not important ,even though it does go against the principle...........

@kj75,thank you for keeping us informed,getting interesting,just a shame they cant admit its a fault/batch but understand they need to do testing......but i am sure they may have 1 or 2000 tk61s they can get their hands on..............bit poor tbh from them.

Who is Fenix distributor coming from Fenix.......confusing unless they mean the actual factory its made.......

Last edited:

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
>How long can you use instant turbo?

No problem for me.

I tried once and I held it down for about 1 minute.
Then a second time for about two minutes.

(Translate with Google Translator)

when I tried to torch a few days ago I was using 4 EagleTac 2500 mA (no problem with istant turbo for 1 and 2 minutes consecutive)

During the review I used only 2 batteries AW 2900
Later I did some tests with two EagleTac 3400 (I did not have 4 identical batteries)

But when I did the review with two batteries I've never tried instant turbo for more than 4 or 5 seconds continued. (so do not know if anything changes with two batteries)

If someone wants I can do other tests but it seems to me that my TK61 is perfect.

(translate with google)

charlieplanb

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone tried using high drain unprotected 18650's for this problem
Just got my tk61vn and I have the same issue
Keeppower protected 3400

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Has anyone tried using high drain unprotected 18650's for this problem

I have not but tbh it wont make any difference as its not demanding enough,standard is "only" 1000lm modded are 1735lm OTF iirc.
Both my sanyo and pany protected happily run my tk75vn at 4400lm,also to add my tk61vn will run on turbo fine,just not momentary unless i hold the mode button down,defo a defective switch/connection or along lines of......

kj75

Enlightened
I've sent it back to my dealer...to get one without this problem.
Of course will keep you posted about Fenix' answer and solution.

ven

Flashaholic
I've sent it back to my dealer...to get one without this problem.
Of course will keep you posted about Fenix' answer and solution.

Thank you for that,are they testing the light prior to shipping for you as iirc this is your 3rd now...............poor QC at best imho............

Fat Boy

Enlightened
I have my TK61 modded to TK61vn. When I press turbo I get 1 second of no response and finally the light comes on and stays on for about 2-3 seconds then goes off. :( I don't use turbo but this is a disappointment.

ven

Flashaholic
I have my TK61 modded to TK61vn. When I press turbo I get 1 second of no response and finally the light comes on and stays on for about 2-3 seconds then goes off. :( I don't use turbo but this is a disappointment.

I have the tk61vn too,but it is on some standard tk61 as well.Try holding power,then as soon as instant turbo comes on press and hold mode,then take finger off power keeping the mode button pressed instead,you should find an "almost instant turbo"........... i know its not the answer,but a semi solution if needed.I dont use instant so personally no issue for me.

Other option is just turn off in turbo selected by mode,then press power and instant turbo without any button holding...........

kj2

Flashaholic
They told me before sending...and it's without scratches or user marks.
So no problem for me ;)

Ah okey then ;) I've the TK41 they used for the website-photos :) When that light was posted they didn't have the photos ready, but I already had called if I could visit to buy the TK41. Great birthday-gift was that two years ago :D

kj75

Enlightened
Hello guys! Got answer from Fenix...looks like a step forward...;)

Dear Customer

We can't find out what is the problem with it.

I am asking our distributor to ship TK61 to us for a check, which has the same problem.

I will inform you after we get the results, but it will take about 10~15days.

Best Regards

Cathy Li/MS

Fenixlight Limited

Looking forward to their next reply....

Got a new mail from Fenix:

Hello

I am still waiting for the TK61 from our distrbutor.

But I will send you a TK61 head for replacement and please send the defective light to our distributor in the Netherlands. Is it ok?

Please provide your shipping address and phone number.

Best Regards
Cathy Li/MS
Fenixlight Limited

Looks like they've found a problem, but they don't exactly tell...
I swapped my light already...

Last edited:

Patt

Enlightened
Right done testing and results.

From off holding the power it comes on then goes off(same as or similar to vid)
From on in any mode,holding power it goes to turbo,then goes back to the previous mode,keeping hold back to turbo etc etc

From off,holding the mode button goes to strobe,then sos and seems to stay in sos after releasing button.

My summary is a glitch,probably a batch............

Luckily it does not bother me as i dont really instant turbo as i am not too keen on holding the button.
I am more a select the mode and leave it there kind a guy 90% of the time.

Im just looking at it that it has its own personality :laughing:

The tk51 has instant turbo from power and works fine,although it again is hardly used........

So we have a standard tk61 and 2x tk61vn that have this "glitch".............so far

Does that mean that we can't use the Turbo-mode with a TK61 at all?! :huh2::(

On the box it say's... 4h20m on TURBO-Mode..? :thinking: :grin2:

Last edited: