Today got EZAA & K-106

ACHË

Newly Enlightened
Re: Today got EZAA & Akoray K-106

Really curious with the Akoray K-106 on 14500,
Will continuous usage will :poof: it?

I already ordered one and will definitely wanted to know before I receive it.:thinking:

Thanks.

I've used both of mine exclusively on 14500's and they still work perfectly.

Just try to avoid leaving it at 100% unattended with no extra cooling for long periods in 70+ degree weather.

*I'm assuming this is all about the 3-mode programmable models.

J_C

Enlightened
The AKORay et al. are probably using plain old 10%, 5% at best tolerance resistor(s) in their feedback loop, and the other driver board components not necessarily high spec either. That can cause some variation in the amount of current driving the LED, as well as internal contact issues and variance in the Vf of the particular specimen of LED in it.

The safe/conservative thing to do is measure the current from the battery, you can't necessarily rely on heat alone because when you first put in a fully charged 14500, that could be when it's at max current. Wait long enough for it to heat up and the cell voltage has already dropped some, current then goes down if it were direct driving. This leads to the idea that having it run for a half hour may not be the test which exposes it to damage as much as the first few minutes after each full-charged battery swaps subjecting it to the high initial current.

IOW, I'm not so sure there is any change in the driver between some older and current specimens of K-106, speaking about the 3-mode programmable one (sku.16607).

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
However, it gets VERY hot very quickly, maybe 30 seconds to warm, 1 minute to hot, then very hot after that. I'm concerned that it might be too hot for its own good
Very bright LEDs that get driven hard emit lots of heat. Now, what would you prefer - that this heat gets properly sunk to the body of the light, or that the body stays cool and the LED barbecues itself? ;)

J_C

Enlightened
Very bright LEDs that get driven hard emit lots of heat. Now, what would you prefer - that this heat gets properly sunk to the body of the light, or that the body stays cool and the LED barbecues itself? ;)

True, but if it's getting that hot after only 1 minute, it's probably :poof: soon enough.

Nickyan

Newly Enlightened

The runtime graph of my 3 modes K-106. I'll update it tomorrow with alkaline curves.

Akoray_K-106.png

That pretty much matches the results of my not so fancy method of eyesight and stopwatch ;) :thumbsup:

sparkysko

Enlightened
I agree with the chart too. Matches my results with my meter (Except I don't agree with the 'low' figures)

The limiting factor on NIMhs on high is the quality of the cell. I'm sure if you hooked up a bunch of cells in parallel and did another test, that the light output would remain constant and the light would stay in regulation.

Lermite

Newly Enlightened
The AA battery I used is a Sanyo Eneloop 2Ah.
I failed the test with an alkaline and I have to buy new one to retry it. That's why I can't post the result today as I planed.

Lermite

Newly Enlightened
I updated my graph (above) with the test on alkaline batteries.
As planed and as in any powerfull flashlight, those batteries are a mess. They can't provide the power the K-106 requests to maintain something like a regulation.

J_C

Enlightened
I updated my graph (above) with the test on alkaline batteries.
As planed and as in any powerfull flashlight, those batteries are a mess. They can't provide the power the K-106 requests to maintain something like a regulation.

Thanks.
Even so, I love that a medium-low setting can use them if necessary. One strategy to get more light is keep a pair of them on hand and when one starts dropping too much, swap in the other one to give the first some time to recover and then the same with the 2nd cell.

At least with the 3-mode K-106's nice anodized square threads you can swap batteries a lot more often before you wear the threads out.

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast

The runtime graph of my 3 modes K-106. I'll update it tomorrow with alkaline curves.

Akoray_K-106.png

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but my 3 mode K-106 is only getting 7-8 minutes runtime on high mode before dimming to a very low output. The Amp draw is 1.1-1.15A and the voltage of the cells when taken out after the light dims is 3.8-3.9A. I'm using Blue Trustfire 14500 cells from DX. Do you think the problem is just cheap cells and voltage sag or is there anything else that might be causing the problem?

ky70

Banned

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but my 3 mode K-106 is only getting 7-8 minutes runtime on high mode before dimming to a very low output. The Amp draw is 1.1-1.15A and the voltage of the cells when taken out after the light dims is 3.8-3.9A. I'm using Blue Trustfire 14500 cells from DX. Do you think the problem is just cheap cells and voltage sag or is there anything else that might be causing the problem?

Wow, something is definitely going wrong. My runtime on high on my k-106 also using a Blue Trustfire 14500 (though purchased from a US vendor) is consistent with the graph (I got 45+ minutes and then ended the run before any dimming started).

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow, something is definitely going wrong. My runtime on high on my k-106 also using a Blue Trustfire 14500 (though purchased from a US vendor) is consistent with the graph (I got 45+ minutes and then ended the run before any dimming started).

Oh dear, it seems I might have a problem with the light itself then. I've opened up a new thread with more detail in the 'Flashlight Electronics' forum if anyone has any advice or help to offer.

Thanks,

RF