UK Light Cannon 100 HID head cracked...

Azecos

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I've been suffering the same problem as many had on CPF. The Head of my UK Light cannon wouldn't came off. I tried putting it in a hot bath for 45 minutes several times. Now I was so desperate that I used so much force that the plastic lens broke.....

Does any of you guys know where to order these?

Last edited:

DM51

Flashaholic
I agree, you should contact UK direct.

I noticed this stiffness a couple of times with my own UK Light Cannon, and before the last time, I had taken particular care to grease the threads a bit more liberally - but it still happened.

I believe this problem occurs as a result of air travel. The light is designed to withstand diving pressure, ie pressure outside being greater than inside the body of the light, then this pressure differential dropping again to zero on resurfacing after a dive. However it is not designed to deal with the reverse situation, where pressure inside its body is greater than outside.

When flying, the pressure outside the light drops to below that of its interior. Air then escapes via the switch mechanism, and equalises at ~0.75 bar (the typical cabin pressure of commercial airliners when at altitude).

When the aircraft subsequently descends, the switch seal shuts again, like a valve, sealing the light with 0.75 bar pressure inside while the outside pressure rises to 1 bar. The differential pressure of ~0.25 bar is sufficient to bind the threads on the head, making the head difficult to turn.

The answer, I believe, is to screw the head on only very loosely for air travel, so that air can freely enter and escape from the light's body during the flight.

Good luck with getting a replacement part.

petersmith6

Enlightened
also try you local dive shop(or on line dive shop)the uk 100 uses the same head as the c8 and dosent cost too much.

Tachikoma

Enlightened
Damn I'm experiencing the same problem, I can't open it and I don't want to break it, what can I do now?:(

petersmith6

Enlightened
ok,try a little warm water to losen things up.if that fails..go to you local auto spares or DIY (hard ware store) and buy a Rubber straped wrench.the sort used to undo oil filter, pipes etc..it must be the rubber one.the chain ones will crack the plastic. then find a strong and willing helper to hold the flashlight and use the rubber pipe wrench on the other.or use a vice with a towle to hold the flashlight.worked for me.BUT REMEMBER THIS..stay calm..rustration and anger = broken toys.

illumiGeek

Enlightened
UK will probably help you out. I my experience their support is excellent. However, if you'd still like a source for spare parts, BrightGuy stocks all the pieces.

Aloha, Tim

PS: Willabbott, your LC needs a new lamp socket. UK will take care of you.

Azecos

Newly Enlightened
UK will probably help you out. I my experience their support is excellent. However, if you'd still like a source for spare parts, BrightGuy stocks all the pieces.

Aloha, Tim

PS: Willabbott, your LC needs a new lamp socket. UK will take care of you.

thanks for the link! If I don't hear anything from UK, I'll order it at brightguy :)