US airline pilots get guns

kimchikungfu

Newly Enlightened
I think Swiss Air had and El-Al definitely has an armed security officer sitting among the passengers, undercover.

I saw a documentary on the El-Al security program, and they showed these guys in training. Whooahh! I can tell you they can be lethal without their handguns too.

Not sure if they have them on every flight, but probably on all major international routes.

I think that's a good complement to armed pilots and safer cockpit doors, albeit a more expensive option.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sure there's a protocol to check off of when they're faced with situations of hostages or possible hijackings.

I gotta say, though, those pilots need to have nerves of steel and ice cold hearts to ignore anything and everything happening behind them and land the plane or keep control.

Quite a few of these pilots are also ex-military guys and gals, so I wouldn't put it past them that with training and a gun in their hand, they can easily take care of the plane if such a situation occurs.

kimchikungfu

Newly Enlightened

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
[ QUOTE ]
FalconFX said:
I gotta say, though, those pilots need to have nerves of steel and ice cold hearts to ignore anything and everything happening behind them and land the plane or keep control.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're hurtling down the highway at 65 mph in your car and a wasp starts buzzing around your head, the wasp is certainly a distraction, but the road will keep most of your attention.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I got hit in the chest by a big ole Bumble Bee one day while riding a motorcycle. I didn't crash. I did hurt!

I think keeping the plane flying will work out okay.

I'm GLAD they are going to be armed!

Willmore

Enlightened
June bugs. A whole flock of big, fat, juicy june bugs. At around 70 MPH. Didn't even flinch. Focus on priority issues. Most people don't react that way. People tend to think much shorter term and prioritize things differently.

Latest posts