USPS New Flat rate BOX

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is a pretty good deal for heavy things, I just looked up Fedex with that size box from Portland to L.A., 10lbs is $7.24, usually Fedex is quite a bit cheaper than USPS. (although fedex does include tracking and $100 insurance for free)

Edit: 20lbs is $9.24, but it's probably pretty hard to get that much weight into that little box!

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
BC, make sure you are comparing to a 2 day FedEx service. Also, these will have the most value for items travelling long distances like cross country. Portland to LA isn't very far. When compared to any other 2 day service over long distances, these USPS Flat Rate boxes are going to be untouchable ratewise.

Peter

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's an example:

10# box from me (FL) to MR Bulk (HI):

$38.60 FedEx 2 day service
$47.73 UPS 2 day service (retail counter)
$35.85 UPS 2 day service (with UPS account)
$7.70 USPS Flat Rate (Most likely 3 day service)

Priority Mail will take an extra day, but check out the savings. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Peter

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
I highly, highly, highly doubt any priority mail package will go from FL to HI in 3 days. They claim it "usually takes 2-3 days", but that's probably something like OR to CA. I've gotten priority packages that took over a week. UPS and Fedex guarantee that the package will be there in two days if you choose that service, that's why it cost more. Like I said, this thing is an OK deal, but still not amazing. You have to remember this is a really small box, it would be pretty hard to get anything even 10lbs in it.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would have to disagree that this is not an amazing deal, for certain items (heavy) it most certainly is. Most Priority Mail packages go across the country in 2 days. I send lots of them, and 2 days is typical. It is true that sometimes they do take longer, but not usually- and very rarely more than three days.

This is a very exceptional deal in some circumstances (over 3# and longer distances), and especially for AK and HI.

Peter

DaGunn

Newly Enlightened
LitFuse,
I stand corrected... no cost for Priority Mail delivery confirmation, even on the flat rate packages. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

Dave

p.s. Your sig. should refer to: Testimonials /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
No worries Dave. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

And thanks for the spellin' lesson... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

Peter

lymph

Enlightened
USPS mail (like priority mail) usually travels on FedEx planes. So I don't bother paying the extra for FedEx.

georget98

Enlightened
I'm sure the post office looked at a lot of weights and from and to zip codes to come up with the $7.70.

What I wonder though is if they considered that now instead of peanuts or bubble wrap, I can save on supplies by packing things with rocks and gravel.