V2 at Lowes.....

C

Cosmic Superchunk

The Lowe's in my town FINALLY got them in! I bought the V2 Luxeon in black as well as the $40 silver V2 6 LED model. The Coast/LED Lenser Luxeon model cost more than my Inova T1, but it's fit/finish isn't on par with the T1. Still, I like them alot and the fact that they run on inexpensive and easy to find 3AAA cells gives them an advantage over my Inovas, Nightcutters, etc.. I did notice that on the Luxeon model, when you click the tailswitch all the way, there's a slight flicker before the light stays on. No flickering when momentary on mode is used, though. Another plus is that their small size make them good candidates for EDC carry and I also like that the packages include 2 sets of batteries, lanyard and sheath.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dont know what the next model down from the 1 watt unit is, but they were sold out at the store I visited. I am guessing that was or is a popular model. I was tempted to buythe 1 watt model, but the colors varied too much and from the bunch, I just wasnt convienced it was worth 52 bucks or what ever they were. The 6 chip was another story. It blew me away impression wise, color and what not.

YOu got to admit, its nice having that clip, wrist strap and cover with the light, not to mention two sets of no name batteries.

According to my ccrane catalog, there 1 watt model that looks like the v2 only runs 4 hours on 3 aaa batteries.

C

Cosmic Superchunk

[ QUOTE ]
cobb said:
I dont know what the next model down from the 1 watt unit is, but they were sold out at the store I visited. I am guessing that was or is a popular model.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the next model down from the V2 Power Chip Tac Torch(Luxeon) model TT7736CP is the V2 6 Chip Dual Color Tac Torch model TT7736DCP. At least that's how it appeared at Lowes. The V2 Power Chips they had were available in black or camo. The 6 Chip was the only one I saw in a silver finish.

It's interesting that the packages rate them as water resistant, but my 6 Chip Dual Color model doesn't even have an o-ring. The V2 Power Chip Tac Torch does, so it's may be that they forgot to put one in my sample before it shipped out of the factory.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have no O ring either. Looks to me that the head and lamp module has a slight gap around it and maybe holes for cooling.

At the lowes I went to they had a rack for the 6 chip on the left, then ext was a mini mag like light with 3 leds in it, then another blank rack, then the 1 watt models.

I fooled with my 6chip and xpg in the shop with the lights out after hours and it was surprising how well the 6 chip did close range. The xpg beat it with the throw it had on low or high.

What do you think of the color of it, the 6 chip? TO me, I know it isnt as bright as other lights, but that tint seems to me magic to me for reading and seeing some. Sure it fell short of my expectation for looking at dirty, rusty engines and what not, but everything else it works well for.

C

Cosmic Superchunk

Believe it or not, I find the slightly bluish tint on the 6 Chip attractive. It doesn't interfere at all with color recognition and I find it very useful around the house and at work. It would make a fantastic little light for an electrician. I must admit I've been a bit spoiled by Luxeons for the past few months, but I still like to break out my non-Luxeon LEDs and use them from time to time.

groutboy_1

Enlightened
Wow! Now this posting brings back memories! Nearly 10 yrs ago. Time sure does fly. I was a young man, and the best LED taclight 1 watt luxeons. Now look at it! Flashlights LIKE the Olight M22 Warrior, and Nitecore ea4 All produce nearly 1000lms, and fit in your pocket!!!

ven

Flashaholic
Wow! Now this posting brings back memories! Nearly 10 yrs ago. Time sure does fly. I was a young man, and the best LED taclight 1 watt luxeons. Now look at it! Flashlights LIKE the Olight M22 Warrior, and Nitecore ea4 All produce nearly 1000lms, and fit in your pocket!!!

This the one

I got that around 5yrs back,never too keen on it,not that bright(can remember the lumens) but just 1 mode...........compact though.

Much much prefer the t7.2 which eats 1 more AA cell due to the zoom as the v2(i think) beam was not impressive ........

iirc it was around £25 give/take

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
The UK Snap On Vans had a field day selling them,nearly every garage mechanic in the UK has possibly had one and i am sure many paid £40 ish each.

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, that was my first real torch, paid around $60 for it in 2006. It was the envy of everyone who saw it, I ran it with 1000mAh AAA NiMh that I recharged very frequently. Loved to run that light til it was hot, loved taking it apart too and inspecting the Luxeon, brass slug and optic. Neat light.

groutboy_1

Enlightened
Here's some of my early lights...My dad's got the rest...all still working...all the old coast/led lenser lights went with my middle brother.
9eguqy8y.jpg

C.M.S

Newly Enlightened
The UK Snap On Vans had a field day selling them,nearly every garage mechanic in the UK has possibly had one and i am sure many paid £40 ish each.

Same here in the U.S ( 10 yrs ago) everyone thought it was soooooo bright for the size , fast forward to now and I laugh at the thought that it's bright and I look back and think "I can't believe I paid that much for it " still have mine and it actually works great as a backup .

Latest posts