Vacuum Cleaner???

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Man, I'm telling you that Hoover WindTunnel has been mostly #1 and at least in the top 3 for several years in a row...

Saaby

Flashaholic
We have a Windtunnel. First generation bottom of the line model and it's still going strong. It replaced a 1 or 2 year old Eureka that replaces a bazillion year old Hoover. I've meen researching Melies and dangit now I want a $900 Aluminim vacuum!

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Sharp comments

Hello Playboy,

We have two hairy cats and a Sharp upright vacuum.

The brushes in the motor lasted 3 years, then had to be replaced. It works well.

Tom

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Allrighty then, at least one strong vote for Hoover Wind Tunnel. I checked, and one of the semi dead vacs here is a Dirt Devil bagless.

What kills vacs here is the roller brush getting stalled out and burning up belts like a kid going through candy.

If I and I alone use the vac, no problem. But apparently I am the only human being among 4 that can hear when the brush stalls...

Maybe the Home Improvement mods are looking better....

Saaby

Flashaholic
Playboy--

If that's what's killing the vacuums then it soudns like the $900 Miele is just for you. I was reading about it and it has a thermal protection switch that shuts it down before it chews up the belt.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I spent part of today cleaning up and checking out the Dirt Devil. Then tonight chased down some belts and installed one. I tested it and it seems to be okay. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

I have instructed one of the Vac Killers about adjusting the height of the brush according to which floor, and to STAY AWAY from stringy things like carpet seams. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

MAYBE the lesson will take... PROBABLY not. Sigh. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Oh well, I have three more belts so I won't have to look for more for some time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
TedtheLed said:
..lying junk science commercial; "so powerful it can lift a bowling ball" --

[/ QUOTE ]

That makes me laugh too, I always wonder if anyone is taken in by those demonstations of vacuum prowness- now if they can pick up a bowling ball without the special funnel attachment, and instead use just a 2" diameter nozzle, THEN I'd be impressed.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have a Miele canister vac, and it's a comparative pleasure to use, because it's so silent, and has very efficient filtration to prevent spewing dirty exhaust bypass back into the air. Some vacs are so loud they make you cringe when you turn it on, but this one is really quiet, with more noise coming from the suction than from the motor, depending on what you're doing. The design uses cogged belts instead of the more friction sensitive flat belts, so it'll make belt replacements a rare occurrence.
Price range is not inexpensive, but I found it to be worth it.