Very sorry for our European friends being affected by Volcano

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Well, at least Europe has a nice train system, but I heard the trains are booked solid, with little chance to add more trains. If this were to happen in the US we would be completely SOL. Come to think of it, if the volcano doesn't stop erupting, the ash cloud could eventually pose a problem with aviation here.

The good news? Maybe the cloud will block out enough sun to give us a cooler summer here.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I heard you can drive a car through volcanic ash if you cover the air intake with a few layers of panty-hose..

I don't suppose this would work on a jet plane..

N10

Newly Enlightened
i don't think pantyhose would be sufficient...i guess a raised air intake would be better(if u have an offroader) ...driving through ash containing glass particles wouldn't be a great thing for you and your car..btw..news are saying another much bigger nearby volcano could erupt melting glaciers & causing floodings the size of amazon river..wth?o_O is that possible?..

Tomcat!

Enlightened
I heard you can drive a car through volcanic ash if you cover the air intake with a few layers of panty-hose..

I don't suppose this would work on a jet plane..

Well I know a few women with very big butts who could help! :nana:

Squidboy

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I live in Scotland and we have been getting a regular light dusting of fine particles on outdoor surfaces, you see it quite well on car windows. Its nothing major for the people on the ground really

However the same volcano killed 10's of thousands in Europe and caused a major problems in 1783

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laki

read that and scare yourself :)

I would say that the only major thing shown by this ash cloud is what a bunch of weasels the insurance companies are, people have taken out insurance to get them home or cover them for accomodation costs and the companies are saying 'sorry not covered' and the airlines are trying to worm out of their responsibilities too.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems the one in 1821 might of had high levels of fluoride in it plum. This article claims it is not good for animals and humans in higher concentrations and may have been responsible for some animal deaths. Don`t get to scared just yet...that eruption (the article claims) lasted for well more than a year. I doubt if a short term exposure would be as harmful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eyjafjallaj%C3%B6kull

Last edited:

vali

Enlightened
Here in the south I was unable to see any dust or ashes produced by the volcano because there are too much pollen in the air. Since a couple of weeks ago cars are tinted yellow and when it rains puddle water have a layer of yellow stuff on top.

Even if we cant notice it, it seems we have the same problem than most Europe, but much lighter. Some flights have been cancelled because of dust too.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I love this image, and how it seems to capture the impact of this baby.

TheScream.jpg

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was supposed to be in Berlin for a meeting this week, but decided to teleconference it instead. Boy am I glad I made that decision (months ago), or I still would be there.

Maybe someone needs to divert a cruise ship over to trans atlantic service for a bit.

vali

Enlightened
All airports in Spain are open again since 2 and a half hours ago. At least those who were "trapped" in Canary Islands should be able to get the continent now.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hope it calms down soon. That stuff as it floats around the world is :(

I've experienced some of what it feels like dealing with volcanic ash. On our travels to Japan in the Kyushu region with Mt. Sakurajima, that volcano vents regularly. The ash at times is horrible and it scares me to see the volcano loom so close to a large population center. To them...it is another day. They work downwind of the ash clouds, there is a hiking trail on the volcano...it is pretty even when venting... Gives me the chills to think of it.

Tuikku

Enlightened
Some nice pictures:

http://www.swisseduc.ch/stromboli/perm/iceland/icons-eya-20100416/ejafjalla16apr2010-mfulle4142j.jpg

http://www.swisseduc.ch/stromboli/perm/iceland/icons-eya-20100416/ejafjalla16apr2010-mfulle4136j.jpg

Some Finnish Airforce Hornets were up the same day before airfields were shut down.
They found "potato flour like" ash from engine inlets. Some engines have taken ash inside of them and it has melted in great heat inside the engine.

At least some of those engines are disassembled and put into pieces for analysis and/or repair.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
All I can say is here in London it's nice to hear no planes in the sky. It seems as if all the birds have come out to sing.

But if it carries on, the shops are going to run out of nonseasonal produce pretty damn quick.

It also means that the torches I'm waiting on will be delayed :mecry:.

Never mind, I think I've got one around here somewhere.

Tuikku

Enlightened
All I can say is here in London it's nice to hear no planes in the sky. It seems as if all the birds have come out to sing.

I heard that people living in Frankfurt are also noticing some good things in this case ;)

Burgess

Flashaholic
Interesting thread here.

And thank you to LuxLuthor, for that great LINK in Post #13.

:wtf:

You just saved me 360 Thousand Dollars !

:goodjob:

Latest posts