Walmart 84 cent lights disappearing...

Ken 222

Newly Enlightened
I mailed some of those 84 cent lights to Walt and Hondo this afternoon. So, if someone else wants to try them with the SMJLED that TrueBlue is selling let me know. I have a few extra black ones and a couple blue ones.

It cost 87 cents to mail an 84 cent flashlight across the country. :laughing:

I really don't care.

Ken 222

Newly Enlightened
Like I told Hondo and Walt, I open the packaging just enough to get the crappy batteries out 'cause that cuts the weight prolly in half. Then I write SureFire A2 on there with a magic marker. :devil: Yup.

Seriously, I still have a few more than I need.
Ken

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
they had a few of these left at my wallmart. I picked up 2 black ones, haven't even had a chance to get them out of the package yet, but I'll do something with them.

My instinct is to keep them AA as I have a good stash of both regular and rechargeable AA batts... But the CR123 mod is calling for at least 1 I think :D

no Magled upgrads at my walmart though. A few $34 MagLED 2D lights, but no just conversions. :( have to wait for those I suppose.

Marlite

Enlightened
Hi Ken

I would love to try this mod and PM me your address and I'll send you the cash for the light and postage. I have 3 PR bulbs on order from True Blue.

Thanks a lot, Marlite

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
Ken 222 said:
I mailed some of those 84 cent lights to Walt and Hondo this afternoon. So, if someone else wants to try them with the SMJLED that TrueBlue is selling let me know. I have a few extra black ones and a couple blue ones.

I really don't care.
Hi Ken and welcome to CPF. :wave:
Very nice of you to help others out. You are going to fit right in. :goodjob:

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Ken - do you (or anyone) have any more of the orig buckalites by any chance? would love to purchase one from you - thanks!

Ken 222

Newly Enlightened
LifeNRA, Thanks man! :thumbsup:

mcmc, That is a pretty cool name nerdgineer came up with. I have a couple of blue ones left. Pm me your address if you want one.
Ken

linerlock

Newly Enlightened
Ken 222 said:

I really don't care.

If you still have any available, please PM me. I would love to have 2 or 3 of the black ones. I've been trying to make myself some buckalite mods ever since I first saw nerdgineer's post but the Walmarts in my area only seem to have Rayovac's $0.84 light. The switch on that one is positioned too far down the body to make the Buckalite mod workable.

tvman

Newly Enlightened
I think I found some old 84 cent lights at a nearby super WM. They have about 25 mostly black. The only brand type name I could find on the package was United-Outdoors.

Seems I remember reading the output of the PR based SMJLED is about .5w but I don't know.

I am undecided between getting the $6.66 SMJLEDs for the 84 cent WMs when I can get the .5w 2aaa RR for $2.50 more. I like the better run time with aa vs. aaa nimhs.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
tvman said:
...Seems I remember reading the output of the PR based SMJLED is about .5w but I don't know...
Trust me, the outputs do NOT compare. The SMJLED's are much, much brighter than any of the 0.5W lights out there. I know as I have a bunch of both.

The SMJLEDs draw about 0.35 W of power but they have some internal magic which manages to squeeze about 3x the efficiency of any other LED light out of that input. Their output is pretty much the same as a typical 1W LED (is very close to my Fenix L1Ps when both have fresh cells), despite drawing 1/3 the power.

They also have good color and put out a good beam pattern in the "United Outdoors" model 2AA cheapo light IF you get the version which has a faceted reflector. If I had a Walmart with 25 of those lights (with faceted reflector) in stock near me, I'd go out and buy them ALL for SMJLEDs or mods or both. I'd probably even get a bunch of the smooth reflectored version, seeing how things are right now.

You might not be that crazy but you might consider getting a few more and putting them aside. I don't think you'll regret it.

tvman

Newly Enlightened
thanks, nerdgineer, for all the info and help. I think i'll go ahead and grab some more 84 cent lights. I decided to get 6 of Lambda's SMJLEDs.

Last edited:

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
tvman said:
thanks, nerdgineer, for all the info and help. I think i'll go ahead and grab some more 84 cent lights. I decided to get 6 of Lambda's SMJLEDs.
All RIIIIGHT! Now you can go and make yourself some Buckalites, if you want...

I am just too tickled pink by mine and end up playing with it all the time.....:grin2:

Ken 222

Newly Enlightened
Well, I'm not ready to let this thread die ..... yet.
I raided another Wal-mart and bought the rest of the black 84 cent lights there. So in four trips to three stores I've bought 28 of those little boogers. :shakehead Of course the store closest to my house didn't have any.
I did get a few in the mail today and I hope I replied to everyone who PMd me about them. I'll get more out soon.
I have 6 or 8 more for anyone who wants 'em. (2 are blue)

Nerdgineer, I sure hope you (or anyone else) don't consider this a hijack.

Thanks
Ken

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ken 222 said:
...Nerdgineer, I sure hope you (or anyone else) don't consider this a hijack...
No way, the whole point was to locate them and have someone get a hold of them. I'm pretty sure you'll get considerable interest in yours from the community...

With lambda's $5 sale for SMJLED bulbs, you can now make Buckalites for less than $6 each, or just use the 84 cent lights stock with SMJLED PRs.

Ken 222

Newly Enlightened
I finally got to put a SMJLED in one of my 84 cent lights tonight. The best comparison I can come up with is a Dorcy super 1 watt. Maybe not a good or fair comparo 'cause the drop-in LED is in the 84 cent light with new AA alkalines and the Dorcy runs on one cr123a battery that's been turned on in the cab of my truck many times, but only for a few minutes total. So, just shining them around and at the floor in the garage they seemed pretty close. Outside the back door and pointed at the cedar fence (I'm guessing 30-35 ft.) the 84 cent light is much brighter. I'm pretty sure that's what all you guys call "throw". Pretty cool though. The little Dorcy cost $20 with the battery. The 84 cent light ended up costing me about $8.50. I can't remember what I paid for a 20 pack of AAs.

Ok, I'll shut up now but one question please. Is it ok if I put two lithium AAs in there with the SMJLED?

Thanks
Ken

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ken 222 said:
...Is it ok if I put two lithium AAs in there with the SMJLED?...
Lamba (the developer) says AA lithiums are OK. A caveat to that might be that Eveready lithiums run about 1.7 V each and the Batterystation lithiums run a little higher - closer to 1.9 V each (and it's not clear which ones Lambda meant), so I might prefer to use Eveready's rather than BS's.