• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Wave of Haiku High CRI

biglights

Enlightened
Generally you receive an email when he prints the shipping label off, which confirms the order was received and is being filled. Other than that, he only emails if there is a question or problem.

This is right on! Since it wont ship out until tomorrow you should get an update on Monday, most of my orders where printed out late afternoon. Don has always gotten back to me when I had an email question the same day, usually within an hour or so of me sending a question. Top notch service :thumbsup:

dbla

Newly Enlightened
Cool! I shall await an email response/shipping label. Thanks.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Anyone know the typical response time when ordering a light? I sent an email yesterday and haven't heard, seems like some people hear back very quickly... It is a weekend headed into a holiday week so I hope I'm not coming off as being impatient I just wanted to see if maybe I should follow up sooner rather than later... If that makes sense... Either way it's no biggie. :)

-a

It seems we had an issue of a spam filter or something. The light shipped yesterday and I sent out postage notification. It's not a bad idea at all to post something in one of these threads if there is any suspicion that e-mail is not functioning properly.

djdawg

Enlightened
Just to chime in again .................
I have 6 of his lights , of which 4 of them I bought directly from him.
The first deal was the slowest (if you can call two days slow ) LOL
I didnt take into consideration that there was a 6 hour time difference between us ............ if your on the East coast , thats a 9 hour difference.
Anyway ........... I have nothin bad to say about McGizmo service ......... he goes above and beyond to plezz his customers.
I even thought I had a problem with my first light ........I called him and he said to send it back and he would look it over. I sent it to him with return postage. (which he did not ask for) ....... He couldnt really find anything wrong but changed the switch and driver for me anyway and returned the light and my postage check to me very fast. I believe my problem really turned out to be operator error , being it was my first Haiku one batt light.
I find that the two batt lights operate easier than the one batt lights. Iam no light Guru though........I just like his lights , knowing Iam gettin quality over quantity. Rant over .......LOL

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, Don is extremely fast! I remember placing an order for a Haiku and a Mule before going to sleep. Due to the time zone difference it is night here whereas it is day time in Hawaii. By the time I woke up the next day I received an email from Don telling me that the package has been shipped, and I haven't paid for it! This left me a real deep impression!

dbla

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Don! I just think our email services don't like each other. Looking forward to this light. !!

Fbygden

Newly Enlightened
I have just placed my first McGizmo order, first I just ordered the Mule High CRI but after a while I felt that I also just had to add the Haiku High CRI to my order.
So now I can't wait to get my hands on my first McGizmos :D

/Fredrik

chrissr

Newly Enlightened
Just got my first McGizmo and first custom overall, the Haiku Hi-CRI. Absolutely love it and can feel the addiction starting. I'm thinking about a Haiku 6V XML next. Too bad the heads aren't interchangeable.

sweet17

Newly Enlightened
hello everybody. i'm new to this forum, so if i ask a question that has an obvious answer then please accept my apologies in advance :) i'm trying to come up on the curve about the mcgizmo haiku, and the minute i think i'm beginning to see the light (tongue-in-cheek) i read another post that confuses me. i won't even begin to ask things like what's the difference between 119 and 119V and 219, etc. (my head explodes LOL). anyway, i think my needs are fairly simple (i'm sure very similar to lots of others). i want a high quality flashlight that i can carry in my pocket that has reasonable throw/flood characteristics (i'm not a candidate for the mule) some punch when needed and reasonable battery life. i also want the sweetest flashlight on the planet so that narrows things down in my mind to a mcgizmo haiku with a 1x123 pak :)

however, my head is spinning about the various light engines. is there a simple way to describe the various choices so even an unenlightened person (i got a kick out of that label when i joined this forum) can understand? for example, in a nutshell, what's the difference between an XM-L engine and the 119. and is the 119 the same thing as the 119 Hi CRI?

thank you in advance for helping me learn more about this fantastic flashlight :)

DTF

Enlightened
The 119 is Hi CRI (Color Rendering Index) which means colors are seen more correct (to the human eye). This is important for things like photography and animal watchers. The XM-L has the higher output. I use the Mule and Sundrop Hi-CRI models in my photography; however, for my EDC it's the Haiku XML 1x123. This combination is hard to beat for EDC. Be sure to get the 1/4"-20 clip and the McGizmo coiled tether with swivel. That's going the full McGizmo.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi sweet17, welcome to CPF!

I guess DTF has already covered the grounds. Haiku used to be offered in XP-G light engine which according to many has the best balance between flood and throw for EDC purposes, but unfortunately Don has decided to forgo this emitter and stick with the XM-L. Personally I love the XM-L Haiku and it is my EDC for about coming to 2 years. It has a pretty floody beam profile suitable for many close range use. Due to the bigger emitter die size, it does not throw as well but is adequate in a reasonably dark scenario.

As for the 119, it throws slightly better because of the smaller die size, but lacks punch in terms of output. There is still some warmish tinge to the tint of the 119 although many has claimed that it is "tint free" which I respectfully disagree. I like the 119 for the tint and color accuracy in the outdoors, but for EDC I personally prefer the XM-L since the floody beam is more useful for most of the tasks which I needed the light to do.

sweet17

Newly Enlightened
The 119 is Hi CRI (Color Rendering Index) which means colors are seen more correct (to the human eye). This is important for things like photography and animal watchers. The XM-L has the higher output. I use the Mule and Sundrop Hi-CRI models in my photography; however, for my EDC it's the Haiku XML 1x123. This combination is hard to beat for EDC. Be sure to get the 1/4"-20 clip and the McGizmo coiled tether with swivel. That's going the full McGizmo.

Thank you sir for this explanation. I've been going back and forth between the XM-L and the 119 Hi CRI, and I think the XM-L is best suited to my needs.

I read someplace that the haiku 1x123 is only 3-5/8" long. Total length. Do you know if this is correct?

Last edited:

sweet17

Newly Enlightened
Hi sweet17, welcome to CPF!

I guess DTF has already covered the grounds. Haiku used to be offered in XP-G light engine which according to many has the best balance between flood and throw for EDC purposes, but unfortunately Don has decided to forgo this emitter and stick with the XM-L. Personally I love the XM-L Haiku and it is my EDC for about coming to 2 years. It has a pretty floody beam profile suitable for many close range use. Due to the bigger emitter die size, it does not throw as well but is adequate in a reasonably dark scenario.

As for the 119, it throws slightly better because of the smaller die size, but lacks punch in terms of output. There is still some warmish tinge to the tint of the 119 although many has claimed that it is "tint free" which I respectfully disagree. I like the 119 for the tint and color accuracy in the outdoors, but for EDC I personally prefer the XM-L since the floody beam is more useful for most of the tasks which I needed the light to do.

thank you sir for welcoming me to your forum. I love your beam shots of the 119 HI CRI. But for my purposes I agree with your conclusion that the XM-L's floody beam and more punch may be more appropriate for everyday situations. Thanks again for your input. I appreciate it.