Well, so much for Incan support from SureFire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe they don't have a legal obligation to cover bulbs under warranty, but have done so in your case as a goodwill gesture. That's certainly the case over here with a UK light manufacturer I deal with - their terms state that batteries and bulbs are no covered under warranty, but that they will "look favourably" on claims within a few month of purchase. (And they did offer to replace my battery after just under a year).

Normal bulb failure is not covered since it is a wear and tear item. But that's not what my example addressed.

I was discussing abnormal bulb failure, i.e., infant mortality. That is covered under the guarantee that "SureFire warrants our illumination tools, edged weapons, and pen products to be free from defects in workmanship and materials, including any LEDs housed within, for the lifetime of the original owner." If a bulb burns out on first use fresh out of the package, I'd say the buyer has a very strong case that the product was not free from defect and thus is covered under warranty.

Last edited:

Brigadier

Enlightened
Normal bulb failure is not covered since it is a wear and tear item. But that's not what my example addressed.

I was discussing abnormal bulb failure, i.e., infant mortality. That is covered under the guarantee that "SureFire warrants our illumination tools, edged weapons, and pen products to be free from defects in workmanship and materials, including any LEDs housed within, for the lifetime of the original owner." If a bulb burns out on first use fresh out of the package, I'd say the buyer has a very strong case that the product was not free from defect and thus is covered under warranty.

I had that happen with a brand new N90 bulb for my 9AN. Installed it, turned it on, and it shattered. sent the whole head unit to SF and it was replaced as the lens and reflector were also damaged by the poof.

Brigadier

Enlightened
If the OP is trying to upgrade the M3 with a turbo head which only comes with a M3T, then I think Surefire is doing the right thing to reserve those heads for warranty on the M3T.

I for one own a M3T and I will surely be pissed if Surefire sold the turbo heads and not kept them for potential warranty work.

Plus I must state that Surefire has always fulfill their warranty obligations as far as I am concerned.

In my experience with them, they have replaced parts for very early models and have exchanged later models for imperfect lights. They even FedEx it back to me half way round the globe to me. All at their expense.

I have no hesitation to buy Surefire even if they cost more per lumen of output.

For people that say Surefire is expensive, I say you don't earn enough.

I can see their point on the KT4, but on the N3? No more bulbs for the 9ANT's?

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can see their point on the KT4, but on the N3? No more bulbs for the 9ANT's?

Why do you persist in pushing this? Do a web search for the N3 and you'll probably find a link to a well-known vendor that sells the N3 for $20 below retail. So even if SF still sold incan products, you'd be paying retail and thus most likely would be looking elsewhere anyway.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why do you persist in pushing this? Do a web search for the N3 and you'll probably find a link to a well-known vendor that sells the N3 for $20 below retail. So even if SF still sold incan products, you'd be paying retail and thus most likely would be looking elsewhere anyway.

But if SF's stopped making N3s, you won't have an OEM option once the supply current out there gets used up.

fishndad

Enlightened

Not sure but.
1-Does surefire have a responsibility to replace bulbs even after they discontinue building incan lights.
2-is there a lenght of time after purchase there incan bulbs are covered under warranty.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure but.
1-Does surefire have a responsibility to replace bulbs even after they discontinue building incan lights.
2-is there a lenght of time after purchase there incan bulbs are covered under warranty.

Bulbs are not covered by warranty. Never have been, AFAIK. They will (did) replace them on occasion. They did for me. I asked nicely of course. So, if you do get a bulb replaced under warranty, consider it a goodwill gesture from them.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
This reminds me of the ever dwindling almost non existent N90 lamp assemblies out there... perhaps some expired assemblies to modify/experiment with might be a better option... where to source such a beast? :thinking:

I'm glad my A2 needs have been addressed for the next few years, streamlight bi-pins (FM adapter) and MA-02 lamps :thumbsup:

Brigadier

Enlightened

But if SF's stopped making N3s, you won't have an OEM option once the supply current out there gets used up.

Exactly!!!! Justin, you are being awfully short sighted.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, how about thinking it over?
A big manufacturer of very special - thats what they are, all of them, even 6P and such - flashlights decides to discontinue some of the product line,
and thus, some time later, there are no parts available any more ...

What might that mean?

... possibly that DEMAND is not that high as You all think?

If there still were money to make, the items would be made ...

PS: I highly doubt that anyone will build replacements on a higher production volume than handmade - at least with that boring "regional representative" policy that is soooo common here.
They will be sued to death ...

PS: that does not mean I am not feeling with You.
I just was "lucky" never to use models of a big output class, so a led, in a tint I like, easily could replace my SFs

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
Exactly!!!! Justin, you are being awfully short sighted.

Short sighted? Who is the one that needs lamps that have been discontinued and who should have purchased a supply before SF got out of the incan segment? It was well-known that they were exiting the incan business for many months prior. For my orphan SF 8NX, I have plenty of X80 lamps and B90 battery sticks because I planned ahead. SF gave you good advice at this late date, which you don't seem to want to accept. Find the N3 in the retail market. I conducted a simple web search and found a ready source for the N3 lamp, just as SF suggested, and at $20 less than SF's retail price. Of course, if you keep dithering, you'll miss the boat again.

Regardless, it is a reality of business that products eventually reach their end of life. It's called obsolescence. Expecting an infinite supply of spare parts is simply unrealistic. I certainly don't expect Texas Instruments to keep an inventory of BP-1A battery packs for my old TI-59 calculator, nor Sony to keep cranking out 1.44MB 3.5" floppy diskettes.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, better stock up now then so that you can start complaining again in 20 years because SF stopped making the N3 lamp.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Short sighted? Who is the one that needs lamps that have been discontinued and who should have purchased a supply before SF got out of the incan segment? It was well-known that they were exiting the incan business for many months prior. For my orphan SF 8NX, I have plenty of X80 lamps and B90 battery sticks because I planned ahead. SF gave you good advice at this late date, which you don't seem to want to accept. Find the N3 in the retail market. I conducted a simple web search and found a ready source for the N3 lamp, just as SF suggested, and at $20 less than SF's retail price. Of course, if you keep dithering, you'll miss the boat again.

I guess the "window of opportunity" is even smaller for those of us that only recently acquired aging SF incandescent designs... there will always be the potential for enterprising enthusiasts/machinists to offer an aftermarket solution though there would be no guarantee that will always involve an incandescent component :D

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess the "window of opportunity" is even smaller for those of us that only recently acquired aging SF incandescent designs... there will always be the potential for enterprising enthusiasts/machinists to offer an aftermarket solution though there would be no guarantee that will always involve an incandescent component :D

LOL! Slap a Nailbender in it and call it a day!

Brigadier

Enlightened
Justin,

You sure do assume alot, don't you. You ASSUME I don't have enough lamps for my 9AN/9ANT. You know what happens when you assume? I have plenty, but did you maybe think that this was to test the waters about ongoing support for us incan lovers?

And BTW, yes throwing an LED conversion into an incan will keep it going, but then it's not an incan anymore, is it?

Regardless, it is a reality of business that products eventually reach their end of life. It's called obsolescence. Expecting an infinite supply of spare parts is simply unrealistic. I certainly don't expect Texas Instruments to keep an inventory of BP-1A battery packs for my old TI-59 calculator, nor Sony to keep cranking out 1.44MB 3.5" floppy diskettes.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Thread has served it purpose, questions were asked, questions were answered. Good info given and some of that taken and not taken. It is now becoming a diversive thread that is starting to lead to impolite posts.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.