What Antivirus Do You Use?

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Happy user of AVG Free Edition. Basically, because I installed it, and just ignore it...

Updates itself, requiring me to press the OK button when I get back to the PC in the morning, that's it.

Scans the system itself (done at 3AM so that I don't see it),

and found three things that Norton missed. And is free.

Oh, did I mention it was free?

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
Norton.

From my computer helpdesk days I've seen fewer issues with McAfee but Norton came with the Dell I've got. Still, I start suspecting either it or HP's printing software when the Windows slows to near-frozen slowness.

Greta

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Now I have a FireWall...A Script Blocking Program...AND TWO antivirus programs...

[/ QUOTE ]

I have all of those too... except for only one antivirus program. And my email is scanned coming in and going out. I NEVER open .exe files in email. Scanned "clean" or not, they go in the trash. I am completely stumped as to how this got on my machine and why it wasn't detected at the time it was "placed". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Negeltu

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Sasha said:
[ QUOTE ]
Now I have a FireWall...A Script Blocking Program...AND TWO antivirus programs...

[/ QUOTE ]

I am completely stumped as to how this got on my machine and why it wasn't detected at the time it was "placed". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Well, things get through... I'm not sure how...as I am not familiar with your systems configuration. Do you have hueristics enabled in your AV software?

Greta

Flashaholic
If I knew what that was, I'd probably be able to answer you... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
<font color="800080">I am completely stumped as to how this got on my machine and why it wasn't detected at the time it was "placed".</font>

Drive-by Download, they call it. Visit an unscrupulous web site, or even a legit site running ads from an unscrupulous company, and you could have anything installed without your knowledge. You`re using Internet Exploder, right? Like me.

Go here: http://javacoolsoftware.com and download Spyware Guard and Spyware Blaster. Between those two, and periodically updating them of course, they should keep out most trojans, spyware, common hijacks and drive by downloads.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Off-topic, but I`ve been meaning to ask. Why dows Norton Antivirus Proffessional Edition keep trying to connect to the `net on start-up?

A work colleague`s work-issued laptop computer was seriously over-run with junk he and his kids put on it, so much so that it was just about un-usable to the rest of us who may need to borrow it. My boss recently instructed me, as the resident nerd, to put it right. A whole half a day later and it`s looking OK. I`d have preferred to flush it clean and re-install the OS and relevent programs but there were pictures his kids had drawn, and photos of his family, that I would not delete incase they had sentimental value. No portable Zip/CD burner in the office either. It would be up to him to move/delete them as necessary.
Anyways, it kept trying to connect to the internet on start-up, but sweeps with AdAware and SBS&D found only data miners and tracking cookies which were removed. Once I had ZoneAlarm up and running I found out it was NAV that was trying to connect. I didn`t find much in its settings that could be causing it to do this, LiveUpdate was off, and it was up to date anyway (I updated it). It was something to do with e-mail scanning or....? Disabling just about everything had little effect. I don`t use NAV myself so wasn`t sure what it was attempting. I was tempted to remove NAV and stick AVG in its place but it was obvious to me that het`d bought NAV proffessional himself (the office would never have paid for it) and knowing how expensive it is, I wasn`t about to just flush it.

That poor computer is back in the hands of my work colleague now and I won`t be able to do much with it unless he f***s it up again, but it just got me thinking. Why would NAV want to constantly dial internet connections on start-up, and how could it be stopped? Given the fact that the machine was seldom connected these days, it sure did get annoying.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sasha -- In Norton 2003, go to Options, click on "Auto-Protect" to expand that little triangle thingy's subcategories, click on "Bloodhound", then make sure the box is checked for "Enable Bloodhound heuristics". In an earlier version of Norton it's probably a similar location.

In another section of the options you might also verify that the "Threat Categories" are all checked under that heading. Especially the spyware checkbox.

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some times people will get little popups that look like Microsoft warnings. Some that may say "You need this" to view this page. When folks click yes without reading that actual message they open themselves up to security problems. Heck, simply leaving the Preview Pane open in Outlook Express or Outlook makes you vulnerable. So, this means that simply viewing an e-mail can make you vulnerable. Kids are the worst offenders as they install anything and they don't know what it might be.

Along with having AV and firewall protection, get the Microsoft security updates for your specific OS on a regular basis (if your running MS as your OS).

Depening on what OS your running, you can selectively disable things at startup running msconfig at the run line. Here are some screen shots ..... msconfig

And here is an extensive list of things that may load at startup and if you need them or not ..... startup list (depending on your connection speed, this might take awhile to fully load)

Also, that Startup Sentry is a real program that you have to knowingly install. Here is a link about it ..... article

Mike

Greta

Flashaholic
binky... thank you... it was already checked but I did hav to up the threat level to highest... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Mike... done all that already. I haven't downloaded or installed any programs in months. The only thing I can think of that MIGHT be the cause is that a friend asked my recommendation on spyware and popup killers and I went searching for the homepages of the programs I use so that I could provide links. Maybe somehow it got through from one of those pages? Also... I don't mess with popups... they all get killed before I even see them.

Empath

Flashaholic
Startup Sentry will be installed in "C:\Program Files\Startup Sentry\ . It does contain a sus.exe file as the main execution file. It's shareware, and the evaluation copies can be downloaded and installed. Incidentally, the installation file is also called sus.exe . Check the file size. If it's 2,899,149 bytes, it's the installation file. If it's 286,720 bytes it's the installed execution file for Startup Sentry. If it's neither, it's not Startup Sentry but something else entirely.

Edit: I just downloaded, installed and executed it. I scanned it with two antivirus programs and one trojan checker and it didn't have a signature of any know trojans. I'd suspect that your sus.exe file is something different, or Norton's giving a false positive.

Now, I'm going to uninstall it, since I don't plan on buying it. I certainly don't need another file running and consuming resources doing what I can do myself.

SockMan

Newly Enlightened
I occasionally use AVG to do a manual scan my computer. However, I uninstall it after I use it. To me, preventive measures are enough to stop viruses from infecting my system. I hope... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
For Windows, I also use AVG. Sockman, let AVG run in the system tray, it protects not just with email and scanning your drives, but dowloading and websites, as well. It uses almost NO resources, and does not slow your system down.

However, now that Mozilla Messenger has fixed the bug with saving all attachments, I won't use Lookout!! Express anymore. I won't use Internut Exploder unless I have to, which is extremely rare.

In fact, I have gotten used to getting my email in Mandrake Linux OS, which has the huge advantage of being totally immune to all those windows worms, VB Scripts, and viruses.

There are antivirus programs for Linux. However, those are mostly, if not all, for Servers, mail servers in particular.

Heuristics engines in antivirus apps don't totally depend on the definitions file for finding those pests.

The primary reason for AV apps for Linux, is to clean the windows pests out of email that is usually going through sendmail (which handles most of the internet email).

SockMan

Newly Enlightened
It is a good idea to have a virus scanner. However, I still want to have as few programs running in the background as possible, so I don't want 24 hour virus protection. I don't think I need it if I am careful.

If I do get a virus that trashes my system, then you can say "I told you so"! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mutie

Enlightened
We have two levels of McAfee. We have a dedicated e-mail scanner that scans all incoming e-mail and ASAP on all our Windows boxes.

Mutech

Bill.H

Enlightened
I use NAV on the systems at home and Symantec Corporate at work. Totally different animals. The Corporate Edition is wonderful, I just renewed my licenses for another 2 years.
NAV is not great, but the best I've seen if you set it up and optimize it for your system. RTFM /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BTW, NAV is not a resource hog if you tune it correctly - assuming you have decent resources to begin with. Don't run it under XP on a P266 with a 5400 RPM IDE drive!

No matter what program you use, Keep Your Definitions Updated!!!!

Binky - I've seen that before, try uninstalling the HP printing software completely and rebooting, see if it helps. If so, just install the driver, not all that other BS they put in.

UK Owl

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
SockMan said:
I occasionally use AVG to do a manual scan my computer. However, I uninstall it after I use it. To me, preventive measures are enough to stop viruses from infecting my system. I hope... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Running a Firewall and Antivirus are preventative measures.

There are viruses about that can infect your system without you activating them. Especially so if your security updates for explorer are not fully up to date.

Latest posts