What are the top 10 classic lights to own?

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sure Fire M6
Sure Fire E2
Photon keychain lights
Eternalight
Underwater Kinetics AAA penlight or mini-pocket
Streamlight Scorpion
Princeton Tec Surge
Princeton Tec Rage

Last edited:

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd say one of the biggest innovators would be Don Keller (Kel-Lite and Mag Instruments) who changed the way flashlights were looked upon in public safety, and laid the groundwork for other developments (including Surefire's little rockets.)

Allnew2me said:
What are the "firsts" or the real innovators?

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
powernoodle said:
The only lights I consider to be true Classics are:

- Arc AAA
- Arc LS
- Mag 3D :nana:
- Mag 2AA
- SF 6P
- cheapy, ringy, dim, crappy 2D hardware store light that was the only thing you could buy in 1966

honorable mention:
- Photon

peace

WORD. VDG

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quite right about Don. Designed the Kel-Lite (first aluminum police light) and then later did three less popular lights. Had some involvement with ASP recently. Currently holds a position at Mag, although no ones seems to know what he does there.

Mini-Moder

Enlightened
Well, I think that we cna be sure the Arc LS is a definate, it is mentioned in just about everyones list. And as you will notice, most of the lists are very similar. Anyway my list is:

1. Arc LS
2. Surefire 6P (Also get a LED head for it)
3. Surefire e1e
4. HDS EDC U60XRGT
5. Fenix L1P
6. McLux PD
7. KI-(any of them really)
8. ORB RAW
9. MagHID (by Mac, or Waterfish)
10. Surefire G2

Allnew2me

Enlightened
Wow, When I posted this last night I had an idea that there would be a few ideas regarding the classics. Thanks for all the responses. I'm still learning about a lot of the mentioned lights and there are still a few I don't know at all but am looking up to learn more about. CY nice touch with the pictures! Abtomat , yes I agree about the really old stuff but I wasn't really sure how long these lights have been around, I still have several old shiny chrome corrugated lights but have not even put a battery in them for years, maglights for me at least made them obsolete. This is exactly what I was looking for, the lights that started it all or that are on the way to being classic. When I first found this sight I took the advice of many and bought the few lights I have so far and I appreciate all the lists given. I see quite a few that you all seem to agree upon and I want to read up on those the learn more about them. Rougesw I agree that innovators are indeed classic, like the 6P. I can see that I better look into the ARC lights if I wish to be a respectable flashlight owner. they seem to be favored by everyone and I have to admit that I don't even know what they are! A big thanks to all so far fo sending me on my quest.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Allnew2me said:
... What are the "firsts" or the real innovators? ....
Oh, you just have to have the:

1. White LED Photon2

on the list. I know thats the first white LED I ever owned, and the only one that was available through local retailers. I also have a Yellow photon 1 that predates white LEDs. Mine still works although I put a CS LED in recently.

others:
2. ARC AAA
3. CMG Infinity
4. E2 (non "e")
5. PT Aurora (PWM dimming, inexpensive headlamp)
6. ARC LS
7. Surefire G2 (inexpensive perfect beam)

When I joined CPF there were no luxeons but there were:
8. EternaLight ( I can't believe no one mentioned this, It used to be the CPF bomb)
9. Pal Light

and you have to admit the first "nice" flashlight you ever owned was a:
10. Maglight (before you knew what "nice" was)

I stayed away from limited editions and customs, although some of the great moders really led the revolution.

Cave "Back when I joined CPF we had to walk through the snow to school uphill both ways with a Maglight in our mouth because hands hadn't been invented yet" Dave

Last edited:

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. Arc AAA
2. Arc LS
3. L4
4. E1/E1E in any of its many modified forms
5. FireFly
6. X990
7. Mag HID
8. Mag85 in any of its many incarnations - sets the bar for incan brightness (USL excluded - too rare)
9. L1p
10. Lion Heart/Lion Cub

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd like to add something like a 6-volt lantern battery powered light. I'm sure a lot of us have had at least one or two of those at some point.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. ARC AAA
2. Fenix L1P
3. Surefire G2
4. HDS EDC
5. Streamlight 4AA Lux
6. Eternalight
7. Maglite 3D or Minimag
8. Infinity Ultra
9. Mag 85 or ROP
10. Photon