What are your ideal LED Flashlight modes?

yalskey

Enlightened
Trying to get a general consensus here at CPF as to the various modes of output LED flashlights can have. Some people like the spacing between output levels a certain way, and others like to have a blinky mode or two in there as well. What's the optimal levels / modes for you?

The "reply template" is below. You don't have to use it if you don't want to, but it would make the thread easier to draw a consensus from if everyone answered in a similar format. All the lumen numbers are actual Out-The-Front lumens. Also, if you want one of the modes to be strobe, SOS, beacon, etc. please list that along with the lumens those blinky modes output in that mode.

LET ASSUME A 250 LUMEN OTF LED FLASHLIGHT HERE (GENERIC) WHEN FILLING OUT THE BELOW TEMPLATE

[Copy and paste the template below for your answer if you like]

2-mode light, initial mode: ??? Lumens, Reason?:
2-mode light, 2nd mode: ??? Lumens, Reason?:

3-mode light, initial mode: ??? Lumens, Reason?:
3-mode light, 2nd mode: ??? Lumens, Reason?:
3-mode light, 3rd mode: ??? Lumens, Reason?:

4-mode light, initial mode: ??? Lumens, Reason?:
4-mode light, 2nd mode: ??? Lumens, Reason?:
4-mode light, 3rd mode: ??? Lumens, Reason?:
4-mode light, 4th mode: ??? Lumens, Reason?:

5-mode light, initial mode: ??? Lumens, Reason?:
5-mode light, 2nd mode: ??? Lumens, Reason?:
5-mode light, 3rd mode: ??? Lumens, Reason?:
5-mode light, 4th mode: ??? Lumens, Reason?:
5-mode light, 5th mode: ??? Lumens, Reason?:

The main goal here with this thread is for experienced multi-mode flash-a-holics to share their logic / rationale as to why they like certain levels of output and how those levels are used in real life. Moreover, if any budding flashlight makers need a general reference to what CPF-ers like, they can build lights close to the consensus of mode outputs. So be sure and explain out your choices so others may benefit from your experience / insight.

Last edited:

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not as 'fussy' about this as some, but I like 3 modes, low < 10 lm, medium 40 - 60 lm, high as high as possible!

Both the iTP A3 and Quark Mini 123 suit me well enough. This is for EDC usage though. I also like the TK10 arrangement with medium and high, and bright single modes, depending on what I intend to use the light for.

I prefer not to have flashing modes, unless they're at least reasonably well tucked away.

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
My favourite UI out there has to be zebralights H501 line, you can access high or low with one click, medium with two from off, then moonlight mode with a double click from low. My only changes would be move the flashing beacon mode to a double click from med, and give us an extra high 'turbo' mode with a double click from high.

With this ui all modes are quickly accessible, with the less used ones cleverly hidden but easy to get to as well.

The Nitecore D10 sp has a similar ui, which is also very nice, similar cycling through the modes but with mode memory. The changes I would make for that is instead of SOS mode (I really hate SOS modes) I would go for a moonlight mode, and I would lower high mode to roughly 100lumens to give a very useful amount of light for over an hour, and then replace strobe with a 'turbo' mode, of maybe no more than the current brightness for high, but pushing the led to the max.

Other than that, for many lights I just like the TK20's type ui, with the simple on/off from the clicky, and tightened head for high or slightly loosened for low. This KISS ui seems perfect to me for general purpose or outdoors usage.

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Other than that, for many lights I just like the TK20's type ui, with the simple on/off from the clicky, and tightened head for high or slightly loosened for low. This KISS ui seems perfect to me for general purpose or outdoors usage.

:thumbsup:

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
2-mode light, initial mode: 30 Lumens, Reason: Best I found for indoor use.
2-mode light, 2nd mode: 125 Lumens, Reason: 250 lumens usually mean 1 hour runtime. 2 hour runtime is safer. In an emergency you tend to panic, go to max and stay there, instead of thinking "I better switch to low mode because i might be stuck here all night.". (I had Elektrolumens build me a custom with 3 hour runtime because I figured it would take me up to that long to get home during a blackout.) If the light does 250 lumens at 2 hours I'd go with 250 Lumens. Many 2 cell lights will run close to 2 hours.

3-mode light, initial mode: <3 Lumens, Reason: Read menus in dark restaurants, read programs in theaters/concert halls without disturbing other patrons. Some people check on sleeping babies without waking them up.
3-mode light, 2nd mode: 30 Lumens, Reason: Best I found for indoor use.
3-mode light, 3rd mode: Whatever Lumens will give 2 hour runtime.

4-mode light, initial mode: <3 Lumens, Reason: Read menus in dark restaurants, read programs in theaters/concert halls without disturbing other patrons. Some people check on sleeping babies without waking them up.
4-mode light, 2nd mode: 30 Lumens, Reason: Best I found for indoor use.
4-mode light, 3rd mode: Whatever Lumens will give 2 hour runtime.
4-mode light, 4th mode: Strobe, Reason: In an accident strobe is more noticeable to oncoming drivers, less likely to get hit. Crossing the road at dark corners/during a blackout.

5-mode light, initial mode: <3 Lumens, Reason: Read menus in dark restaurants, read programs in theaters/concert halls without disturbing other patrons. Some people check on sleeping babies without waking them up.
5-mode light, 2nd mode: 30 Lumens, Reason: Best I found for indoor use.
5-mode light, 3rd mode: Whatever Lumens will give 2 hour runtime.
5-mode light, 4th mode: ?Strobe, Reason: More noticeable to oncoming drivers.
5-mode light, 5th mode: SOS Reason?: Since lurking on CPF in 2003, I have come across only ONE instance where SOS was used. A gentleman in Australia walked out on the beach at low tide. He was trapped on a sandbar when the tide came in. Late evening/night nobody on the beach to see his signal for help. The beach was covered by a webcam. A lady 50 miles away just happened to check the webcam on her computer, saw the SOS, phoned her local police who arranged for the guy to be rescued. The story was weird enough the press picked it up and it was posted on CPF.
Interesting in the many earthquakes, floods, tornadoes and other disasters I have not come across SOS mode on a flashlight being used.

EDIT
Having slept on it, for a 250 lumen 2 hour light I probably would go for just 2 modes leaving the low/strobe/SOS to a smaller light.

Last edited:

HKJ

Flashaholic
I do not have any specific lumens, because that depends on what kind of light it is.
But I prefer a good mode spacing, not something with 30% between levels, 3 or 4 times is much better. I prefer lights without memory, because I want to know what level it comes on it.
The initial brightness depends on what use I have for the light, i.e. I do not always want low first, medium first is usual better for a general purpose EDC.

For a general purpose EDC:
2 mode: low, high that is at least 4 times low.
3 mode: medium, low, high, again with 3 to 4 times change in brightness between modes.
4 modes: Same as 3 modes, but the fourth mode is between 50 and 70% of high, to give an extended runtime. Sequence M-L-H-HH
5 modes: Add a extra low mode (4 times lower than low) to the 4 mode, sequence M-LL-L-H-HH

I have been playing with a light where I define the modes (when ordering), I ordered a 3 mode and really like the sequence described above (I will post a review in less than 10 days).

There are also situations where I prefer low first or high first, but then I do not expect to only have one light available.
I always like a huge change between lowest and highest mode, with some nice logarithmic steps between.

Edit:
The above was only for steady brightness, I would also like some flashing modes, preferable after the steady modes:
Slow strobe (2-5 Hz): Can be used for warning, both at accidents and on other occasions
Beacon (a short very bright flash every other second): Can be used to mark a place or to lead other people to my location and will have a very long runtime.

I do not really like sos modes, if people are looking for me I believe that a strobe or beacon is just as good.

Last edited:

yalskey

Enlightened
I'm glad to see we have some "heavy hitters" (experience CPF-ers) replying to this thread. This is why I started the thread... so these really knowledgeable guys can come in and enlighten us to their thinking when it comes to various light output modes and their associated uses. It makes us all a bit smarter in that aspect of flash-a-holism.

Thanks for the contribution everyone! Let's keep it rolling...

maxspeeds

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've tried them all, and for my needs, I find 2 modes to be more than adequate. I prefer a low mode 1-2 lumens and a medium mode <50 lumens. High modes drain batteries too quick to be considered practical for EDC lights.

notsobrite

Newly Enlightened
both my edc's are 2 modes. 1st mode on both is maximum and 2nd is high. if i'm doing a big job i'll run on high to save battery life, but normally i want the most light i can get.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
2 mode:
4 lumens
400 lumens

3 mode:
4 lumens
400 lumens
4000 lumens
(but unfortunately we're not there yet. ;))

My best current setup is a SF 6P / 18650 / Malkoff M60 with a 120-ohm McC2S in the Z41 tailcap adding a ~5 lumen low to the ~200 lumen high. Very very useful. :thumbsup:

I like wide spacing. :)
LET ASSUME A 250 LUMEN OTF LED FLASHLIGHT HERE (GENERIC) WHEN FILLING OUT THE BELOW TEMPLATE
OK, I didn't notice this the first time, was this text added in an edit?

OK, that makes things easy.
2 mode: 4 lumens, 250 lumens
3 mode: 2.5 lumens, 25 lumens, 250 lumens.

Last edited:

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
1-mode light: 40-60 lumens, Reason?: It is a useful level for many operations and you don't need to worry about what mode you're in and know exactly to the minute how much runtime you'll get. Super reliable!

2-mode light, initial mode: 20-30 Lumens, Reason?: In a two mode light that's what I want low mode to be.
2-mode light, 2nd mode: 200+ Lumens, Reason?: In a two mode light that's what I want high to be.

3-mode light, initial mode: 2-5 Lumens, Reason?: Extended runtime that goes into days.
3-mode light, 2nd mode: 120-150 Lumens, Reason?: I already have a two mode light with 20-30 lumens in mid.
3-mode light, 3rd mode: 400+ Lumens, Reason?:This is my big light and I want a lot of light.

I don't want or need 4 mode lights. Something like the TK40 only needs three. 10, 150, 600 lumens.

Also I think to much emphasis is put on sheer output in high mode on small lights (single AA and CR123). I would prefer a lower high of about 120 with the advantage of extended runtime.

I use my EX10 SP almost entirely on mid mode and wouldn't care if it didn't have high and low.

Mmm...might have to look at a Fenix E10.

compasillo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love the LF2XT's CUI and, IMO, it's the best UI you can find as today.
It's perfect for all purposes (whether the term "perfec" can be applied).

Coolhand68

Newly Enlightened
2 modes along the lines of the LX2 or E2DL. I prefer the high setting engage first. I don't like too many modes that I need to toggle through to get to my ideal setting so I prefer to keep things simple with two at the most.

High - 200+ lumens
Low - 10 - 15 lumens

Though I am more than happy with the two modes of brightness and UI I get from an E2L, E1L, or L1. Can't wait for the LX1 to hit the streets.

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
3 Mode -
High 100%
Med 50%
Lo 10%

Or more than one level ...
3mode / 5 mode / Rubbish Modes /

Or a programmable driver ... [ If Akoray can do it ? ]

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast

This is my kind of UI, actually the best for me is Eagletac's P20A2 which has the high tight and general mode (50ish lumens) loose and twist back and forth for a 15ish lumen low.

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
no modes, just a knob... preferably have the knob bigger than the flashlight

+1

Or upgrade the already existing ring system with at least 100 levels of brightness settings, on an affordable flashlight please

yowzer

Enlightened
My ideal is the original Nightcore D10/EX10: Single mode, variable output with shortcuts for minimum and maximum. A shortcut for a third, user-programmable level might be nice too...

No strobes, SOS, beacon, disco ball, etc.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer one mode for dedicated throwers.

Three modes are generally preferred so low 3 lumens, medium 100 lumens, and high 250 lumens.

If it has to be High, Medium, and Low then it needs memory so that I can make it come on in low if needed.

Reasoning...I'm not a cop so I've got time to start out in low and work my way up which is less irritating for my uses. I don't need or want strobes mainly just because... (I want to keep things simple). A forward clicky is preferred to a reverse clicky mainly due to the momentary aspect.

I'm not a heavy flashlight user however so keep that in mind.

Last edited: