What best flashlight choice for keyring ?

hemdale

Newly Enlightened
When my Solitaire died, LED's were not even used yet for flash lights.. :grin2:

Let me show you the type of flashlight I have at the moment.
:eeew::twak: (please don't laugh)

What a glow !

I'm ONE INCH far from the wall ! :crazy:

Dunno what kind of LED it could be, but honestly, who here would really care ? :rolleyes:

"So called" aluminum casing (dented and scratched by 24/7 keys dingling):

Rust ? :confused:

Ah yes, rust indeed... :whistle:

I don't know what could have happened ? Moisture leakage ? O-ring failure ?
Honestly, I bought this thing at least 4 years ago in a camping store ($20) so as the wise guy says: "you (usually) get what you pay for".

Last edited:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
+1 for L0D-CE Q4 for most applications

+0.5 for E01 for long runtime applications, some may disagree about the tint being useful but some light is better than none in the dark:grin2:
You got it right about me and the E01 tint. I like the build and feel of it, but not the emitter, at all. :thinking:

That and the L0D being virtually the same size but capable of going both low and actually having a bit of light to throw around, the only reason I could see not to pick the L0D would be if someone was just flat out of money. :D

hemdale

Newly Enlightened
I Think A Fenix E01 Will Suit Your Needs Just Fine.

*Its Easily Replaceable If You Lose/Break It
*Fenix Store Has Free Worldwide Shipping
*Its Only 15 Dollars
*Its Brighter Than Your Solitaire
*Tough As Nails

http://www.Fenix-Store.com/

Sure ! I was aiming at the E01 too but the bulk is quite similar:

L0D is: 7.35cm (L) x 1.4cm (D) (or 2.9 in (L) x 0.6 in (D))
E01 is : 7.1cm (Length) x 1.4cm (Diameter) but it's power seems a bit weak.

Still, no one here recommanded me any Photon or Inova products !:candle::poke:

Last edited:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Sure ! I was aiming at the E01 too but the bulk is quite similar:

L0D is: 7.35cm (L) x 1.4cm (D) (or 2.9 in (L) x 0.6 in (D))
E01 is : 7.1cm (Length) x 1.4cm (Diameter) but it's power seems a bit weak.
Bingo! It's the same size and cheaper, but if you can afford $15 you can probably afford $45 and be much, much happier! The other thing you can't see from the specs is the purple beam. :green:

You know you want the L0D! :whistle:

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, the LOD would be great for your needs. I like the LF2X a bit better, I would call it very close. The Aeon is nice but expensive and may be a bit fat for pocket carry compared to an AAA light.

Another cool small light not mentioned is the Photonfanatic Lil Killer. It can be ordered with a AAA configuration or an even smaller batter option which makes it extremely small. It is high quality titianium but cost just over a hundred bucks. The EO1 is a good inexpensive option. All very good recomendations.

One other recomendation - Arc AAA. This light is a bit expensive for what it is (similar to the EO1 but at $50 instead of $15). What I like about the Arc over the EO1 is the every slightly smaller size and also it is driven a little harder to provide a little more output. It is not regulated as well as the EO1 and really shines on a more expensive lithium cell. Runtime is a little over 5 hours on lithium cell and pretty good output.

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
The E01s okay once you get used to the tint, the only jeer I have for it is the size of the head, its not for people with fat fingers. I'm Asian and the head is still too small for me to turn with one hand:candle:

The L0D-CE can survive basically anything in my book...I have two, this is the older one where only the head is HA, the body was type II

Its been under cars, rolled around in pockets full of tools, fallen off rooftops [even with the split ring I would have hoped they designed a hex into it], been in the wash [twice, both times disintegrated, no battery leaks though:shakehead], been in the dryer [twice, the glue holding the head together finally gave way, but didn't unscrew]. Been on the keys for about a year now...still would like it was new, and still water resistant with the stock o-rings. The significant scarring was from the time when I decided to do some destructive testing by towing it behind my bike on dirt roads...but on the return "flight" it was asphalt [I was wearing black on a black bike and neighbors were coming out and watching this strobe light speeding down the street and I couldn't help myself]

hemdale

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking at Illum_the_nation's images of the MuyShondt Aeon.

Nice piece of flashlight he has. :thumbsup: (expensive though...) is it a better light and more reliable construction than Fenix ?
Should I possibly consider the MuyShondt Aeon as an investment ? :ohgeez:

I'm reviewing Fenix Store website and I'm quite impressed:

Fenix Digital P1D CE Olive Textured @ $50.08
Fenix Digital L0D Q4 Olive Finish @ $46.50

Quite the same price...

I'm a bit concerned now. Would an small extra bulk acceptance would be good with regards to the extra capabilities of the P1D ? I know that size matters but a quite powerful light such as the P1D will never be a disadvantage.
To all P1D's owners could you post images of your keychains with the P1D on it ?
That would help me choosing from.

:thinking::thinking:

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
For what you seem to want, the L0D-CE Q4 should be great. I'd suggest using it with a good AAA rechargeable battery. You can use the 10440(AAA sized 3.7v Li-ion battery) for a lot more output but that will void the warranty. 8% off coupon at Fenix Store/4sevens is "CPF8".

If you want to use the 10440 battery, go for the Liteflux LF2X.

I've read good and bad things about the Inova Microlight, overall it sounds like a good keychain light(not that bright compared to the high power LED in the L0D-CE though, same with the Photon)

The Photon has variable output, which might be good when you need a lower output then other lights provide.

The LED's capsule might be exposed, but the actual working component is much close to the other side of the capsule which is in the light. You can cut off the dome and the LED will work just fine.

:welcome:

Muyshondt Aeon, hands down.

I've heard good things about the light, but remember that not all of us are willing or are able to pay $200 for a light. I do see your point though.

hemdale

Newly Enlightened
but remember that not all of us are willing or are able to pay $200 for a light. I do see your point though.

Understood. Same thing for me. $200 is a bit excessive even in terms of investment... :candle::broke:

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
yet another vote for the L0D. I only have the CE version, which is the same but only 2/3 as bright, and I love it. aesthetically, nothing comes close. The size, shape, and operation are all perfect. I haven't put it through nearly as much abuse as some members here :D, but it still works perfectly.

Only problem with me is PWM. If they could bump the rate up to make it unnoticeable, I'd buy another just for that.

GeorgePaul

Enlightened
I use and like my Inova Microlight. Nice white beam, plenty bright enough for navigating in the dark and casual use, multiple modes, small and lightweight. Only downside is that it sometimes turns on in my pocket.

Everyone on CPF loves Fenix lights, and I'm sure they're fine, but (start of rant) I think that Peak LED Solutions rules when it comes to very small lights.:rock: They have, by far, the greatest variety in terms of tube materials (brass, aluminum, stainless steel, titanium) and tube configurations (pocket body, keychain body, double-ended), battery types used (CR123, AA, AAA, N, CR-2, S13, L44, primary and rechargeable). Nichia, Luxeon and SSC P4 heads are available, in different power levels. And the prices are (IMO) very reasonable. A significant downside (for some, not me) to small Peak lights is the lack of multiple levels/modes. (end of rant). hemdale: I think a Peak Pacific in stainless steel with P4 head and AAA body would be a great light for you. If you want a smaller light, a Pacific with a CR-2 body would be good. For an even smaller light, you could go for a Baltic with a button cell body with hole for split ring -- only 1.65" long.

Last edited:

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
with the exception that people either cannot afford it or does not want to afford it.

+1 for L0D-CE Q4 for most applications

+0.5 for E01 for long runtime applications, some may disagree about the tint being useful but some light is better than none in the dark:grin2:
The thread title is: "What's the BEST flashlight choice for keyring?" He did not ask for the best keychain light for a cheap guy...

hemdale

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, I'v ordered the Fenix Digital L0D Q4 (Olive Finish). From what I've read, this model has the same LED as the P1D CE (correct me if I'm wrong).

Btw, what is the difference between:

L0D Q4 and L0D CE Q4 ??

Mine is only "Q4" rated...

Anyway, you've convinced me !:D

However, I'm not the "update-to-the-latest-update" type of guy and I thought the P1D would be a bit less "pocketable".

:twothumbs

I hope they'll deliver quickly ! :whistle:

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
The thread title is: "What's the BEST flashlight choice for keyring?" He did not ask for the best keychain light for a cheap guy...

lol...granted the fault was my own but often times whats most expensive isn't always the best:grin2:

heres some not so heard of disadvantages of the Aeon

• batteries could be hard to find [the regulator really just sips power, my cell is still 100% on the ZTS and I've used it on high many times]
  • the switch resistance may be too snug for some people for single hand operation
  • the brass parts will tarnish almost immediately if you start neck carrying :candle:
  • The split ring design, although innovative and compact, is so snug that I need a screwdriver to pry it out
  • the low isn't the low we know of, in fact low is so practical at night that unless I need to show off its pocket rocket ability I never really need to hit the high beam:D

Last edited:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Hey guys, I'v ordered the Fenix Digital L0D Q4 (Olive Finish). From what I've read, this model has the same LED as the P1D CE (correct me if I'm wrong).

Btw, what is the difference between:

L0D Q4 and L0D CE Q4 ??

Mine is only "Q4" rated...

Anyway, you've convinced me !:D

However, I'm not the "update-to-the-latest-update" type of guy and I thought the P1D would be a bit less "pocketable".

:twothumbs

I hope they'll deliver quickly ! :whistle:
First off, they are quick!

The 2 L0D's you listed are the same light, but the P1D is a Q5 and is a much brighter light.

For size and the amount of light your going to get, coming from a Solitaire, I believe you'll be quite happy. And if you're not totally satisfied then you can go ahead and buy the P1D and even the Aeon if you get used to the prices some of the best lights can run! :grin2: