What did you use your flashlight for today?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Last evening at my work some folks were putting in a thousand feet of guardrail next to a new road. Hearing electric impact guns tightening bolts were getting farther and farther away I was curious just how close they were to being finished. Well I coulda got in my truck and driven to see them or...
Pull out my EB1 and send some photons in that direction. Now being these fellows were wearing reflective clothing that little 200 lumen spot beam made them glow like somebody turned an on switch on about 875 feet away.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Klarus G35 (since it's the new light) on lowest setting, pointed at the ceiling, while I replaced a 15 amp breaker in my panel.

ven

Flashaholic
Last evening at my work some folks were putting in a thousand feet of guardrail next to a new road. Hearing electric impact guns tightening bolts were getting farther and farther away I was curious just how close they were to being finished. Well I coulda got in my truck and driven to see them or...
Pull out my EB1 and send some photons in that direction. Now being these fellows were wearing reflective clothing that little 200 lumen spot beam made them glow like somebody turned an on switch on about 875 feet away.

Hi viz always bring a smile to my face, you can literally fire a few lumens and it will light up them 100's of feet away as day! Imaging 1000's of lumens:D

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, pretty cool! I have some cordage for camping that is reflective and love to play with it. Also got a free reflective belt I might start wearing when walking at night on one route next to a road with no sidewalk. Should help a lot! I used to love close to a highway and at night I shined my Fenix LD01 from VERY far away, maybe a mile or something like that. Not sure exactly. But I was amazed at how well the sign still lit up from just that light. :)

Anyway, I used my Emisar D4vn to check the fluid levels in my wife's vehicle the other night. Everything looked good.

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Be careful with Reflective belts, when I lived in upstate NY, people used to wear them and coming around a curve or up a hill- the headlights had to hit them just right to be noticed. I think a vest or small flashing light works better. The first time that I was driving there at night, I was surprised how hard to notice the reflective belts were. This is my take on them.
At work in NYC we have specific criteria for accidents on the highway. Vests or bunker gear have to have reflective letters a certain size and reflective stripes on all sides.

I used my Okluma DC1 to see down a slow drain at home and clear it.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
That makes sense. Definitely seems like the light has to hit at the right angles to see it. :) I certainly won't rely on them to have people see me but it might be an extra precaution that's worth taking. Or maybe I'll just add it to my bike which already has lights instead.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The key to reflectors being noticed is movement. Placed at ankles, wrists or places on your gear that moves a lot. Those little reflectors on pedals and wheels of a bike for example are easily spotted due to their motion.

I knew where the workers were last night because out vests have stripes that look like a sideways capital H. Stripes on legs and arms provide that attention grabbing moving illumination.

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
The key to reflectors being noticed is movement. Placed at ankles, wrists or places on your gear that moves a lot. Those little reflectors on pedals and wheels of a bike for example are easily spotted due to their motion.

I knew where the workers were last night because out vests have stripes that look like a sideways capital H. Stripes on legs and arms provide that attention grabbing moving illumination.

Thank you. Thats a good point about reflectors and movement- after all the key is to attract attention!

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, makes sense!

I just went for a brief walk with my wife today and used the Emisar D4vn to light our way through a few feet down a hill before the sidewalk started. There are a lot more dark areas in our new neighborhood and lights have come in handy very frequently as a result.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Absolutely nothing so far today.

After working a bunch of days in a row on a roadway project where a main route was closed, yesterday it was re-opened. Today everyone chilled out and talked about good times both past, present and future as motorists drove by honking their horns and shouting "thank you"... the idea today was don't break anything and go home early. At one point one guy quipped "how many flashlights you got on you today?"... I responded "3, uh... 4... no wait, 5." The thing that surprised me was when the guy (who had recently commented carrying a pocket sized flashlight is silly) reached in his pocket and pulled out a PKDL PL2. Woohoo!! (He did not know it was me he'd bought it from lol)

This weekend I'll top up some batteries and do some PM on the lights I've been using lately, sharpen my pocket knives and enjoy a few days relaxing while everybody else goes shopping, hunting or whatever it is people do on Thanksgiving weekend.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Gouldings MMA club with Callum, spent around 20m looking for his trainers(plus most part of his training time). After the stampede of kids at the end, popped out the sc62d and managed to shed some light under the couches . Spotted at last!!! far corner hidden away. Clocked a few :huh: faces in surprise, probably not expecting someone to be prepared with a torch!

LedTed

Enlightened
I'll try to keep my usual rambling short . . . ish.

It's now dark outside when I enter and leave work. While crossing the parking lot at work, I use my NiteCore HC33. I keep the light clipped to the outside of my sling bag and use the combination to light my path.

On my walk into work, a woman driving a minivan full of passengers rocketed into the parking lot while looking down at her phone. The driver didn't see me. Luckily, one of the passengers saw me and screamed so loudly even I heard her yell, "STOP!" The driver slammed on her brakes. I scrambled to the relative safety of the building's side.

So, what did is use my flashlight for? I used it for safety.

U2v5

Newly Enlightened
Used the BOSS 70 to inspect the inside of the turkey 🦃 before stuffing it! [emoji38]

Mchipman

Newly Enlightened
Neighbor asked me to jump start his car and used the Titan Plus on my key chain to light things up.

Last edited:

Latest posts