What did you use your flashlight for today?

Imalent HR20 and DN70 both on max searching for missing key fob inside car. Every time a real life search situation comes up, what is normally impressive becomes barely bright enough. You know how those nighttime highway projects use massively over-bright lights? They are in a real life situation. In a real life situation, the brighter the light the better.:drunk:

Rstype

Flashlight Enthusiast
Used my boss 70 with amber secondary to walk around the house and check on the kids while they slept. Useful even on the lowest level. But the amber light is a pleasure to use.

DIPSTIX

Enlightened
Used my TN40sVN to walk one of my dogs at the public park after dark. I had a few onlookers who noticed the amount of lumens being pumped out and someone yelled out "I like your flashlight". Afterwards I took the dog home and took the other dog out and this time I grabbed the Acebeam K60. Ended up meeting up with the same people as before near the beginning of the trail. They had a strange look on their face because it was a different dog and a different flashlight. They asked me "Doesn't that thing get hot?" While I was wearing gloves on a 45 degree day using 5000lms I could barely even notice the heat. Of course I had my tx25c2vn and Emisar D4 as backups just in case a ghost drained all the potential energy in the batteries of my main carry light.

I got home and opened my flashlight case and noticed my zebralight was missing! I used my D4 once again to look through the cars, basement, and the garage for it. I gave up accepting defeat. Just then I cleaned up my wife's jewelry and noticed it was sitting right behind her box. A sigh of relief suddenly washed over me. I already lost a Lumintop tool I couldn't keep losing lights. These things are expensive!

Last edited:

Boris74

Newly Enlightened
Imalent HR20 and DN70 both on max searching for missing key fob inside car. Every time a real life search situation comes up, what is normally impressive becomes barely bright enough. You know how those nighttime highway projects use massively over-bright lights? They are in a real life situation. In a real life situation, the brighter the light the better.:drunk:

For that situation obviously. I know there's a few night construction workers here but you don't need 12,000+ lumens to find a key fob that's missing in a car. I had to dig up an 18650 I dropped in the car about a week ago, I'll be darned if 12 lumens was absolutely perfect for finding its location for retrieval. It was even full on rural darkness with no street lights to aid and a burnt out dome light in the back 40 truck didn't help any either.

Real life situations vary depending on the situation. I have large area Work lights run on generators and I have small pocket carry lights. The difference is in knowing what to use for what situation. Just grabbing the most powerful thing you got to find a dropped item in a car or truck isn't real life.

A 225M throw light to find something maybe a meter away, in my opinion that's not real life. Maybe for locating a work truck in complete darkness that you know is pretty far away. Just an opinion of course, but based on real life.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
12,000 lumen construction lights create ridiculous shadows that without the said 12,000 lumens would not seem so dark. A floody beam might as well be used in sunshine... very ineffective. So unless your flooder is 2000 lumens you might as well just leave it turned off but... a couple hundred lumens focused in a tight beam will place a concentrated amount of light just like a telescoping back scratcher knows exactly where the itch is.

I call it diesel powered sunshine. Those light plants are crazy bright.

IMG_20171106_215808.jpg

An example of a 300 lumen pencil beam getting it done vs construction lights.

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened
Used the fairly new UM2 to walk the perimeter of the house just now to make sure all of my foundation vents are closed! Brr. It was 28 degrees F this am...

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Was this a Maglite sir??

12,000 lumen construction lights create ridiculous shadows that without the said 12,000 lumens would not seem so dark. A floody beam might as well be used in sunshine... very ineffective. So unless your flooder is 2000 lumens you might as well just leave it turned off but... a couple hundred lumens focused in a tight beam will place a concentrated amount of light just like a telescoping back scratcher knows exactly where the itch is.

I call it diesel powered sunshine. Those light plants are crazy bright.

IMG_20171106_215808.jpg

An example of a 300 lumen pencil beam getting it done vs construction lights.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Was this a Maglite sir??

Actually my first "bright" flashlight... a Coast HP7 zoomie fed by eneloop pros.
(But I had a Maglite XL50 in my safety vest pocket at the time that photo was taken)

I use the XL50 "strobe" to shine on upcoming overhead wires to alert dump truck drivers of them. I will shine the Coast onto an overhead object like that branch when the truck that is dumping to show it to the fellow who signals a truck driver to raise or lower a bed of the truck as they near the object. The strobe is to remind him and the next truck in line that there is an overhead object up ahead.

Plus those Coast 'bluemens' stand out against the pure white light put out by diesel powered sunshine machines.

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Today I had to go to a remote corner of a building, down a narrow metal spiral staircase and into the basement. At the bottom of the staircase was a door, and inside the door it was pitch black. I've never been in this room before, so I had no idea what I was stepping into.

Using my cell phone as a flashlight, I couldn't find a light switch or any overhead lights for that matter. The phone's light was too dim to get any work done, so I had to go back to my office and get my trusty PD35. Once I had a decent light in my hands I was able to do my troubleshooting.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
^^ Well at least the celphone light showed you the boo-gy-man won't lurking in the room.

Check this one out Ven:
At about 8:00 am a fellow at my work told me they had snagged a water service pipe while installing some storm drain pipe. No biggy... or so it seemed.

Due to "pressure zones" the water main could not be turned off. See this main helped lower pressure of the water system nearby. If they kill the water main here pressure will become to high nearby and burst peoples house services down the road a ways.

Gotta fix the leak while the water main was still turned on. Again no big deal... or so it seemed. The water main was made of some of Americas dumbest idea ever. Asbestos cement. Very fragile pipe. And it turned out there was a small crack in it. Little by little the what was a small leak was growing larger until.... the main waterline burst.
Shortly after sundown....
IMG_20171130_023437.jpg

I used my PR-1 on medium to take this photo.
The backhoe bucket over the water spewing stopped it from spraying 50 feet (16m) in the air over traffic during rush hour. Nobody crashed but holy crap, it won't pretty!!

What should have been fixed by lunch time kept me at work until 2:00am.
The car whizzing by... all that water was undercutting the roadway and eventually caused a giant cavern under the pavement. Waterline was fixed by 11 after the county folks finagled pressures to keep things stable while the main was turned off. Then the road had to be fixed.

Between the bill the contractor will get for cops, county workers and the cost of the damages... that little mistake of scraping a pin hole in a pipe could end up being well over $100,000.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Wow , well if you ever have a job interview and need to give an example of working under pressure......I think that would get you the job!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Funny you say that Ven. I was getting my feet wet with a new client so to speak and it was rumored they did not like my laid back style but prefer a more strong handed approach to handling a project.

This morning all kinds of emails are being passed around about how that "cool guy" was just what the doctor ordered at that event.

ven

Flashaholic
Nothing wrong with being laid back, straight thinking and level headed. Stressed, high blood pressure , heart attack are usually guaranteed with shouting, rushing and trying to beat dead lines all the time. Do it right, do it 1st time and measure twice cut once!

Yep, you are the "cool guy":)

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's a lot to be said for remaining calm in a high stress situation. Apart from the fact it really pisses off the tense ones, you can come up with much better solutions with a clear head.
Holy relaxation therapy, Batman.
P

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Guess that's why I prefer cool white beams?

When my boss told me the client was unsure that I actually gave a crap about his project I explained that if I am going to be the eyes and ears of the client I first have to see the world through their eyes. That showing him how well I handle his needs up front does not help see it from his perspective but... knowing if he hunts, likes sports, whether he likes Coke or Pepsi better... that allows much more efficient communications when the chips are down like last night. It's not a thing of trying to tell him what he wants to hear. It ends up telling him in his terms what he needs to hear.

While everyone was at home biting their finger nails all "holy-crap-holy-crap" like while things were exploding I was having more fun at work than I'd had in a while.

Oh, and flashlights... by 11 pm everybodys lights and celphones were dim or done. The county utility repair folks had 3D LED maglites though so they were my heroes by midnight. When they left the flashaholic with the headlamp and a still working light in each pocket was the only source of light. Being a bit of a prankster I let people muttle around with dimness for a while, getting all night vision adapted.... then when some guy says "shine your light here" and dim blumens barely lit the area I though "yeah their ready" and fired up my (still running strong) PR-1 and zapped them with 450+ photons. "Augh!", "WTF?!" and "there goes my retinas" rang out as dudes were all blocking their eyes in a 20 hour day induced eye fatigue.

blueridgeman

Newly Enlightened
Walking my retriever after work to a park nearby that she likes to romp around in. It gets dark early so I pop a red rechargeable LED on her collar, clip my S1 Baton on the back belt loop and keep my Streamlight HL-X in my non-leash hand.

View attachment 6579

Latest posts