What do you use your "strobe" function for?

jlennosh

Newly Enlightened
I have seen the strobe used by nightclub security to signal each other that they need help. When I seen it action the fast strobe did get attention fast and was easy to pick out

bykfixer

Flashaholic
believe it or not.... if you shine the strobe at bats you can see them fly in stop motion. i walk every night with the dogs and find myself watching the bats. seems stupid but it is a fact.

Cool!!

I use mine as the kids leave the room to enjoy watching them crash into door jams. Works everytime.

It's almost as entertaining as giving dogs a glob of peanut butter on a saltine.

fieldvilleiowa

Newly Enlightened
believe it or not.... if you shine the strobe at bats you can see them fly in stop motion. i walk every night with the dogs and find myself watching the bats. seems stupid but it is a fact.

I have bats by my house and i've never thought to try... I might finally have a use for strobe!

Hy10

Newly Enlightened
Tha strobe function is for getting traffic lights to change when ur sitting at a red and no cars are even traveling in the road ur crossing. Works well for being seen when biking or walking at night especially in rain. We live in Pacific NW.

robscorpio

Newly Enlightened
I use it to annoy myself by accident in between functions I actually want .

ONCE - I did use it while changing a tire on the extreme side almost off the road on I 95 .
Pointed out back windshield fairly high above eye level / car flashers on / and I had a highway cone also a few hundred feet before car .

This was OFF the road beyond the lanes on extreme right .

But still extremely dangerous with South Florida aggressive drivers who are very self important and NEED _______ right now . lol

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Tha strobe function is for getting traffic lights to change when ur sitting at a red and no cars are even traveling in the road ur crossing. Works well for being seen when biking or walking at night especially in rain. We live in Pacific NW.
Does that really change the lights? Because if it does I think you have the only real useful use for a strobe.

awoodby

Newly Enlightened
cursing. when I accidentally activate it, I get to practice my curse words "stupid effing thing!"
i try to avoid buying lights that go "disco mode".

3_gun

Enlightened
Nothing. Have never used strobe for anything other than a toy. Might that change one day? Maybe but 15yrs into carrying a light with a strobe function, nothing yet.

3oni

Newly Enlightened
I've never wanted a strobe mode in a pocket light or headlamp. I won't buy a light that makes that mode easy to access; fortunately, most of the lights I like tend to "hide" it behind a sufficiently arcane set of button presses that I'll never stumble across it.

I use strobes as bike lights, but they're dedicated lights for that purpose and they don't do anything else.

Lark Hunter

Newly Enlightened
I've used it to get the attention of other worker(s) on a construction site at night... sometimes the equipment is too loud for someone to hear you on a two way radio or phone call/text, and this will easily grab their attention. I think I've used it on a night hike to show my location, too.

Old thread, but it seems the general consensus has remained the same... I could live without the strobe function, and I wish it wasn't in the regular rotation of functions on my lights, as it is of fairly limited use.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I've used it to get the attention of other worker(s) on a construction site at night... sometimes the equipment is too loud for someone to hear you on a two way radio or phone call/text, and this will easily grab their attention. I think I've used it on a night hike to show my location, too.

Old thread, but it seems the general consensus has remained the same... I could live without the strobe function, and I wish it wasn't in the regular rotation of functions on my lights, as it is of fairly limited use.
I've only used a strobe a few times in my life:

My friend and his son were on the other side of a baseball stadium, during a day time game. While we were on the phone, a few seconds of strobe, and he found me right away.
Once when I entered a circus, Big Top tent, a few seconds of strobe pin pointed me, and my family could give me directions to their seats.

When the kids were younger, I gave them instructions to use it to help us locate them if somehow got separated in a crowd.